Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier

Wading into something I haven't looked at before. Wife's Equinox will probably definitely be replaced in the near future. My Pilot does OK for towing our new travel trailer (~3200 pounds), but she floated the idea of maybe getting a truck instead that might be better suited. Don't want a huge truck, and the Ford Ranger and Nissan Frontier seem to fit the bill. I see the Nissan has a V6, but specs a 6,700 pound towing capacity. The Ford has the turbo 4, but claims a 7,500 towing capacity. Both seem capable and have 4 doors, but puzzled why the one with the smaller, albeit turbocharged, engine is supposedly more capable.

Don't know about the Frontier, people seem to like the new version of it, but the Ecoboost 2.3L and 10R80 is a towing monster in the Ranger. Punches well above its weight and would have no problem with that sized travel trailer.

Now, depending on the model, the shocks leave something to be desired if you're going to get serious about it, but new shocks will cure that pretty easily and cheaply. (The FX2/FX4 package shocks are super meh for towing).

Not sure about the payload ratings on the Frontier either. I know in my lightly optioned FX2/STX Ranger I have a 1711# payload. Of course, the more options you pile on, the more it eats in to that number.

--Edited to Add Mileage--

22mpg in normal daily driving for me, although I've gotten as high as 25 if I'm driving a little more carefully.

Towing, 10-11mpg. Can't fight physics when you're towing a travel trailer that is essentially a big air brake behind you.

Last edited:
My only contribution is that although I am essentially a Ford fan, (Have 2 old Mustangs) My daily driver is a Nissan Frontier. I bought it when it was one year old, and to date, has had zero problems, and really like the v/6 power. Not to wild about the fuel mileage though..

I just bought a slightly used '22 Frontier. The Ranger has more torque, and more importantly, more low-end torque. It also has a slightly larger and more reclined back seat area. For me, after owning and being let down by 2 different F-150 EcoBoost engines, I am done with anything that says EcoBoost or has a turbo on a small displacement gasoline engine. I wouldn't even consider a Toyota Tundra at this point. My driving needs have recently changed, and I needed something that I can rely on and something that can tow my boat. For me, that meant a newer version of the tried-and-true Nissan VQ engine. To answer your question about how the smaller engine is more capable, you already said it, turbos. Air is needed to burn fuel. More fuel means more power, but you need more air to burn that additional fuel. Proper tuning of the engine and turbos will get high torque at low RPMs (where it matters in a truck) and allow that torque curve to be flattened. I will teel you that the Frontier has much more of a traditional truck feel while driving than the Ranger. The steering is very heavy at low speeds and the turning radius is terrible. It took me a day to two before I got use to the heavy steering, and I immediately welcomed the heavier steering at normal driving speeds. Finally, the seats in the Frontier are amazingly comfortable. To be 100% honest, the Frontier feels and drives like an old school truck with modern technology in the cab. The ranger is a little more of an SUV driving sensation.

a quick search says MARKETING as well as actual capability is involved in ratings. weigh-safe.com notes laws vary by state + any commercial towing is ALSO governed by federal laws!! so towing for personal use is LIGHTLY regulated!! i would surely prefer the Nissan to the stressed small turbod engine!!

To be 100% honest, the Frontier feels and drives like an old school truck with modern technology in the cab. The ranger is a little more of an SUV driving sensation.
This. Recently drove both and got exactly the same vibes. Ranger may pull more (thanks to the 10-speed), but Frontier feels more comfortable doing it (thanks to the great V6). Also, the Frontier mirrored its frame from the Titan, just a few inches shorter. This heavy duty frame design also contributes to the Frontier being more stable while towing. As far as basic daily driving - Ranger takes the crown. Rides like an SUV and gets great MPG. I just don't think that Ranger will be a good choice long-term, but time will show.

Either will likely pull your trailer. Tow ratings are very standardized and one of the tests is pulling in 100F at 70MPH up some monster hill in Nevada with the AC on - something most will never encounter.

The complaints on the Ranger is the transmission is constantly hunting for the right gear.

Most owner reviews for the Frontier like it - however the V6 is GDI only. Nissan has done that with their V8 before so folks are hopeful but it doesn't have a lot of run time yet. The 9 speed is a Mercedes Design that Nissan licensed and builds themselves. I honestly would trust a German 9 speed built by the Japanese over a Ford 10 speed, but time will tell.

The rub on the Taco BTW even though you didn't ask is the engine feels anemic.

I love my 2011. Will pass everything but a gas station and run forever.

Either will likely pull your trailer. Tow ratings are very standardized and one of the tests is pulling in 100F at 70MPH up some monster hill in Nevada with the AC on - something most will never encounter.

The complaints on the Ranger is the transmission is constantly hunting for the right gear.

Most owner reviews for the Frontier like it - however the V6 is GDI only. Nissan has done that with their V8 before so folks are hopeful but it doesn't have a lot of run time yet. The 9 speed is a Mercedes Design that Nissan licensed and builds themselves. I honestly would trust a German 9 speed built by the Japanese over a Ford 10 speed, but time will tell.

The rub on the Taco BTW even though you didn't ask is the engine feels anemic.

I love my 2011. Will pass everything but a gas station and run forever.
The current Ranger is GDI only as well. The 2024 is supposed to be both port and GDI however.

If you're looking for reliability, the 2nd gen frontier would be the choice! The 4.0/5AT was an excellent powertrain for longevity.

For currently produced midsize, the Ranger is the best of the bunch, IMO. Especially for towing. I've towed with a 10R80 and it was right. There was a gear for everything! Combine that with the flat torque curve in the turbo 4 engine and seems like it'd be a good powertrain.

I think the jury is still out on the 3.8 / 9 speed, but it would be similar in regards to gearing - there's always going to be a gear for what you are doing. As for the rest of the truck, it's nearly the same underneath the new body.

For me , it would be Ranger > 2nd gen Frontier > New Gen frontier

The ranger ecoboost / 10 Speed combo is more than capable of its tow rating. Remember the 10 speed is the same unit as the one used on the F150 behind the 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.0 V8's - the 2.3 is well within its capabilities.

For the comments on the 10 speed "hunting" for gears, its got 10 to choose from and with that many ratios is part of the point - there is a right gear...

I've got the same combo in my 21 Explorer - tows our 3000 lb boat with no issues. (Though my regular tow rig is my F150).

Have the wife drive both and pick the one that she likes the most in the color she wants, and stay happily married.

My vote is for the Nissan.

Ford vs Nissan resale value? Neither are worth bragging about and 'resale' has never been a factor with vehicles I purchase. Current market is simply madness with all makes/models new or used.

GDI IVD issues can be addressed with intake cleaners. Plenty of brands have cleaners and will work with any GDI engine. Its not a deal breaker for me to IV clean every year or every couple oil change intervals on my GDI engines.

Maintenance.... anyone want to guess whether either would cost more or less? I'd maintain both a little more betterer, than required. My betterest intervals for fluids/filters/etc would be the same regardless of make/model or requirements.

Capability depends on usage. Its a truck and not a race car. Towing lag?

High altitude.... turbo! My state peaks at about ~100yards for its tallest mountain and doesn't need turbo. I'd want the turbo if hanging out on Pikes Peak or Mount Washington. Ohio isn't too mountainous. And, cool weather also benefits the turbo some too and make it more tolerable of poor fuel choices when not towing.

MPG.... I'd doubt either would be better/worse than the other.

4wd vs rwd? If you pick a 4wd truck, research the reliability or issues with the hardware in both.

Ease of maintenance.... what turns me off with some Fords is the clusterfork mess of engineering under the hood. I'd prefer to maintain a Nissan V6 over a ecoboost 2.3! So, pop the hoods and see which one you'd rather work on for major/minor repairs and maintenance. Most just leave car with dealership and pay the bill.

Premium fuel.... all my turbo'd cars ran better with premium fuel. But, even my v6 SUV towed better with premium but still ran great with regular when not towing. I can't stand regular fuel with ANY turbo'd vehicle that I've driven, especially with the warmer southern climate. It is noticeably if you're not a zombie or drone.

rangerpowahhh.jpg

2022-nissan-frontier_100801884_h.jpg

I had a '22 Frontier as a rental recently. Liked the powertrain but hated the heavy steering. Not only is it way too heavy at parking lot speeds, but there is no telescoping feature so it was pretty uncomfortable. Drove it for 3 days and did not get used to it.

Have the wife drive both and pick the one that she likes the most in the color she wants, and stay happily married.

My vote is for the Nissan.

Ford vs Nissan resale value? Neither are worth bragging about and 'resale' has never been a factor with vehicles I purchase. Current market is simply madness with all makes/models new or used.

GDI IVD issues can be addressed with intake cleaners. Plenty of brands have cleaners and will work with any GDI engine. Its not a deal breaker for me to IV clean every year or every couple oil change intervals on my GDI engines.

Maintenance.... anyone want to guess whether either would cost more or less? I'd maintain both a little more betterer, than required. My betterest intervals for fluids/filters/etc would be the same regardless of make/model or requirements.

Capability depends on usage. Its a truck and not a race car. Towing lag?

High altitude.... turbo! My state peaks at about ~100yards for its tallest mountain and doesn't need turbo. I'd want the turbo if hanging out on Pikes Peak or Mount Washington. Ohio isn't too mountainous. And, cool weather also benefits the turbo some too and make it more tolerable of poor fuel choices when not towing.

MPG.... I'd doubt either would be better/worse than the other.

4wd vs rwd? If you pick a 4wd truck, research the reliability or issues with the hardware in both.

Ease of maintenance.... what turns me off with some Fords is the clusterfork mess of engineering under the hood. I'd prefer to maintain a Nissan V6 over a ecoboost 2.3! So, pop the hoods and see which one you'd rather work on for major/minor repairs and maintenance. Most just leave car with dealership and pay the bill.

Premium fuel.... all my turbo'd cars ran better with premium fuel. But, even my v6 SUV towed better with premium but still ran great with regular when not towing. I can't stand regular fuel with ANY turbo'd vehicle that I've driven, especially with the warmer southern climate. It is noticeably if you're not a zombie or drone.

View attachment 128646

View attachment 128647
That Ford engine just screams "CHEAP!". All that cheesy homegrown looking electrical tape all over everything, looks like a little kid got ahold of a roll of electrical tape and just started putting tape everywhere. And all that cheap random plastic. It looks totally homegrown!

The Nissan engine looks clean and professional.

That Ford engine just screams "CHEAP!". All that cheesy homegrown looking electrical tape all over everything, looks like a little kid got ahold of a roll of electrical tape and just started putting tape everywhere. And all that cheap random plastic. It looks totally homegrown!

The Nissan engine looks clean and professional.
If you're going to throw that out there, compare apples to apples. The Ford with the engine cover looks a whole lot like anything else. Complicated with a cover on top. The Nissan wouldn't be any better with the cover off, nor would almost any other engine. Modern engines are a mass of crap shoved under the hood, sensors, tubes, wires, tape, plastic, etc, its just the nature of the beast.
CB6A560F-091A-4B5F-8B07-CC3EBAA0F52F.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the frontier better myself seems simpler more straightforward plus it looks great and the interior is a great improvement.

Not knocking the ranger, the powertrain is really nice. New model coming out soon too of course but maybe a ways out.

I just like the simplicity of the Nissan and hopefully the 3.8 will prove to be a good motor 👍

Back