2018 Nissan Frontier reliability (4 cyl, RWD)

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Nissan Frontier in 4 cyl base trim?
I'm looking for a cheap truck for my business, and there is a nice deal on one Ive had my eyes on. Its got just over 60k miles, 4cyl RWD.

I know theyre outdated.....I care about safety and reliability mainly. I expect it to be a bit of a slug.

Thanks for your time

Ryan

Five or six years ago I passed on a Frontier just like the one you describe.
Pristine white, 4 cyl. RWD....a beauty.
I opted for a "neighbor's sale" truck ('05 Ranger 4.0l).

It's a good truck. I had a 2005 Altima with that engine, and I drove the 2.5L Frontier for delivery while working at AutoZone back in the day. The only complaint I have a the funky cruise control. It waits until you drop 5MPH+, then engages a downshift and full throttle, overshoots your desired speed by 10MPH, and then takes a second to settle back down. It was quite annoying on both cars, so I only used cruise control on extremely flat roads, no hills, and it still managed to do that annoying trick... Otherwise good. Altima never got more than 27MPG, Frontier hit 25MPG. I'd still grab one these days, if price is right.

Last edited:
These are solid trucks. The 4 cyl and 5spd is a great combo. I almost bought a much older 2002 4 cyl 5spd manual back in 09 when my rangers trans was failing but they asked too much and i was able to get my trans fixed easily.

Timing chain and related components is really the only thing you hear wearing out on them. I've seen them with 200K miles and still going strong. They use the same 5AT that the 4.0L trucks do.

I think the biggest issue with them is they are basically all bought as fleet trucks and get treated like a fleet truck, so used ones are pretty beat.

Based on my experience with A LOT of these trucks through work…

Engine and transmission are solid. I don’t know of any that actually had a major repair. Definitely top notch in that department.

However, it will be a never ending list of little stuff. O2 sensors, MAF sensors, interiors that fall apart… and one after another with failed airbag clock springs so the airbag light comes on and the horn doesn’t work. And a replacement part is in intergalactic back order.

On top of that, they drive horribly and get lousy fuel economy for what it is. But I think part of the reason the major mechanicals are solid is because it doesn’t make enough power to hurt the engine or transmission no matter how much you beat on it.

BUT if you don’t care about the little stuff I can’t recall a single one with engine or transmission failure.

Compared to the “old” Ford rangers though (that for some reason everyone thinks is the most reliable little truck) the Frontiers were BETTER.

All other Nissan products can go straight in the dumpster though. The amount of CVTs we have replaced on NV200s and Versas. ugh!

I am curious how our new gen Frontiers will hold up long term. They seem nicer initially (although still outdated compared to the CanyonRado/new Ranger competition) but the V6 as the only engine is a major gas guzzler and the seats are already trashed and uncomfortable AF in less than a year. Decent base sound systems though!

.... and one after another with failed airbag clock springs so the airbag light comes on and the horn doesn’t work. And a replacement part is in intergalactic back order.

I think that's been the case for these, the Xterra and Pathfinder (when they shared same chassis) for a long time. You have to use an aftermarket clock spring assembly.

I have a 2015 V6 with 230000 miles. No problems with engine or Trans. Runs perfect. However I would change the rear end fluid often. They are weak in the 2wd models and mine failed at 160000 miles

I have a 2017 SV and other than the horrible Nissan initial build quality it's been good. It has a dual mass flywheel that is noisy but I don't think it's problematic. The transmission is the worst shifting from 1-2 either up or down that I've ever experienced in my life. But, you learn to live with it.

The ventilation system is horrible. The vent is excellent but the flow for heat is awful. But... I live in Georgia so I've just learned that this is how they are and I deal with it.

It's horribly underpowered almost to the point of being dangerous if hard acceleration is needed. Fuel economy is awful for something that delivers such little performance too. I get about 22 MPG average.

Good points... seats are comfy. Brakes are decent. Outward visibility is good. A/C blows nice and cold. I have a feeling that it's going to be a good, reliable, long-term vehicle. I'm at 7 years and 106,000 miles and after fixing everything that was wrong with it it's been very reliable.

I have replaced the battery prematurely (at 2 year mark) and the radiator fan viscous coupling due to bearing failure. Replaced wiper blades once in 7 years... not bad! The vapor canister on the fuel tank filled up with water for some odd reason and prevented me from being able to add fuel. I disassembled the system, drained the water from the charcoal canister, dried it with a hydroxyl compound that wouldn't damage the charcoal or plastic bag that holds the charcoal in the canister, and reinstalled everything. I put a small splash shield over the canister vent under the truck and haven't had an issue since.

Recalls exist for the ignition switch and the charcoal canister I believe. My ignition switch was broken when I bought the vehicle (along with a bunch of other stuff) but I haven't gone back to a Nissan dealership since I rode off the lot in January 2017. Nissan dealers are the worst part of owning a Nissan in my opinion.

If the price is right... DO IT!

It's a good truck. I had a 2005 Altima with that engine, and I drove the 2.5L Frontier for delivery while working at AutoZone back in the day. The only complaint I have a the funky cruise control. It waits until you drop 5MPH+, then engages a downshift and full throttle, overshoots your desired speed by 10MPH, and then takes a second to settle back down. It was quite annoying on both cars, so I only used cruise control on extremely flat roads, no hills
Must be the same people who programmed my Toyota's cruise control, really poor programming/response.

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Nissan Frontier in 4 cyl base trim?
I'm looking for a cheap truck for my business, and there is a nice deal on one Ive had my eyes on. Its got just over 60k miles, 4cyl RWD.

I know theyre outdated.....I care about safety and reliability mainly. I expect it to be a bit of a slug.

Thanks for your time

Ryan
That's great! Thanks a ton guys. The pricing seems good. Time will tell! I sure miss having a truck. I loved the Rangers I had, this is as close as I could find to a newer Ranger in my price range.

Thanks again guys. I'll keep you posted. I laughed when I read about the generations....basically the same truck for quite a while. I loved my Ranger(s). This is close to them without the $$ of the new ones.

Ryan

Back