Next size larger than the Pure one pl14610?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David_Corbett
I see no reason to go for the 14610 as opposed to the 14459. Is that a reasonable opinion? Would the flow and pressure advantages of a smaller filter, such as the 14610, override the superior filtration offered by the 14459?

Thanks.

I think either the 14610 or 14459 would work well. I doubt the smaller 14610 has any kind of "flow and pressure advantages" over the 14459. The 14459 probably flows slightly better than the 14610 because the 14459 has more media area.

I use the 14459 for the following reasons:

1) It has ~15% more volume and filtering area.
2) It has a coil spring bypass valve instead of the "45 record adapter" spring design.
3) It is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns filtering efficiency instead of 99.9% @ 40 microns.

Originally Posted By: David_Corbett
Thanks. So it should have no problems fitting?
I have an 07 Accord 3.0L and I'm using the 14610 now because that's the spec'd filter and it's under warranty.

While I haven't looked closely yet, just by feel during oil change, it does seem that it would fit the V6. The latest gen Accords don't fit for sure, and there is a thread with pics posted here of that.

Hey David,

Unless you have over 100,000km, you still have the powertrain warranty!
Honestly, I would put my worry on the Honda V6 tranmission rather than the engine. Hope you did a few ATF drain and refill already!

32.gif

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Hey David,

Unless you have over 100,000km, you still have the powertrain warranty!
Honestly, I would put my worry on the Honda V6 tranmission rather than the engine. Hope you did a few ATF drain and refill already!

Hasn't this been nailed down to pressure switches? I mean after the oil jet thing got retro-fitted? I think that they're even externally serviceable.

Thanks for the replies.

I figured that the diminishing marginal returns between the oversized Purolator and a high-quality Wix--such as the 51356 specced for my vehicle--probably didn't justify the worries about using a non-approved filter without warranty coverage. The Wix is supposed to be good for 95% of 19-micron particles anyway.

Carzzz - yes, I had the dealer do an ATF drain and refill at around 46,000km (11,000km ago). Though my warranty is well and truly gone by this point; it's been five and a half years since the car rolled off the lot, and as far as I know, the warranty's only good for five.

old thread but the tiny filter on my new to me 2011 fronty 4.0 concerns me. i usually do a filter @ 6 months on yearly oil changes that are under 10 thou with mobil I extended 10-30. as long as the filter screws on without leaking + the holes are clear + other specs match a bigger quality filter should be better IMO

Quote:
The 14459 probably flows slightly better than the 14610 because the 14459 has more media area.

Since that statenent was made about 8 years ago, it's been proven with cutting both open and measuring the media that the 14610 has more media area than the 14459. Size of the filter can be deceiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back