Next size larger than the Pure one pl14610?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Yeah, no oil cooler on the 2.5L and not enough space for 14459. Thanks for the pics.

So what hits when a 14459 is tried? From the photos, it looks like there is enough clearance for a wider filter can.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yeah, no oil cooler on the 2.5L and not enough space for 14459. Thanks for the pics.

So what hits when a 14459 is tried? From the photos, it looks like there is enough clearance for a wider filter can.

There is a raised tapered ledge that won't allow a wider filter (14459). It forms a channel on the right hand side.
DSCF0006s.jpg

sayjac - I see what your saying now.
thumbsup2.gif
When I initially looked at the photos is looked like that area you circled was at the same level as the mounting base.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There is a raised tapered ledge that won't allow a wider filter (14459). It forms a channel on the right hand side.
DSCF0006s.jpg

Look at this photo ... it looks like there is nothing sticking up past the base that the filter mounts to ... same area you circled in red. And that big lug seems to be quite a ways away from the filter mount.
21.gif

DSCF0003s.jpg

On that pic the flash/light eliminates some of the definition of the raised flange. And, the top part closest to the camera, is further from the filter then down by the base the filter.

While I haven't tried the 14459, quite certain at some point the outer edge would hit the flange before the gasket made contact with the base.

Getting ready to do an oil change very soon, perhaps I can get some pics of what it would look like.

You're tough! You're sig says WA, you sure you're not from MO? If you catch my drift.
lol.gif

On that pic the flash/light eliminates some of the definition of the raised flange. And, the top part closest to the camera, is further from the filter then down by the base the filter.

While I haven't tried the 14459, quite certain at some point the outer edge would hit the flange before the gasket made contact with the base.

Getting ready to do an oil change very soon, perhaps I can get some pics of what it would look like.

You're tough! You're sig says WA, you sure you're not from MO? If you catch my drift.
lol.gif

Must be an optical illusion in the pixs. Why would Nissan put a little flange there? ... time for the grinder to come out!
lol.gif

Grinder not necessary, it's a close fit but no obstruction using the larger 14459. Normally use 14610/7317 but the Nissan shorty was a freebie, will cut open and post pics later. Looks like ZeeOSix called it, amazing vision.
48.gif

14459002.jpg

14459005.jpg

Close fit, but the filter mount area looks different on your Altima compared to the photos on page 3 of this thread (posted by barlowc) of the other 4-cyl Altima engine. Your's looks like the whole filter seat is recessed back in the corner of the block.

You could be right, mine is an 03 and I tried to get the pics as straight on as possible. Or, perhaps later 2.5L models have a different design, so it could be a YMMV.
21.gif
I had both sizes (14610) on hand, so I could use the other if the 14459 didn't fit. Heres a pic without a filter.

14459003.jpg

You could be right, mine is an 03 and I tried to get the pics as straight on as possible. Or, perhaps later 2.5L models have a different design, so it could be a YMMV.
21.gif
I had both sizes (14610) on hand, so I could use the other if the 14459 didn't fit. Heres a pic without a filter.

Oh yeah, definitely a different filter mount design. I think the 14459 would fit on the 2008 also.

2003 Attima 2.5L 4-Cyl

14459003.jpg

2008 Attima 2.5L 4-Cyl

DSCF0005s.jpg

Yep, so perhaps I was wrong about mine, but not about the one in the first pics. Different design.

OT, I guess I'll crop my pics a tad in the future. Still getting the hang of that. 800x600 looks more reasonable than the photobucket default.

Edit: maybe someone took care of that?

Yep, so perhaps I was wrong about mine, but not about the one in the first pics. Different design.

OT, I guess I'll crop my pics a tad in the future. Still getting the hang of that. 800x600 looks more reasonable than the photobucket default.

Edit: maybe someone took care of that?

Firefox info on your posted photo says it was scaled to 800 x 600, but original size was 1,024 x 768. The board must do some auto scaling now.

Interesting. I'm using IE7 so I didn't see that. I'll know next time. Pleased with the pics this little Panasonic Lumix takes. Also had a Chicago LED drop light from HF aimed at the area.

Well, something learned today. Next up, I'll drain the China made shorty Nissan OF, cut open and post pics before recycle.

Well, the engineer was probably told to cut costs and spec a smaller filter. He kindly left the original mount design that was going to fit the HONKING biggest filter he could find. He just told the bean counter that it would cost more to redesign it ...or that less material was used leaving it as is.

Next up, I'll drain the China made shorty Nissan OF, cut open and post pics before recycle.

What's the part number on the "shorty" Nissan filter that you're going to cut open? The OE filter that come on my car when I bought it new was a 15208 65F0D.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Next up, I'll drain the China made shorty Nissan OF, cut open and post pics before recycle.

What's the part number on the "shorty" Nissan filter that you're going to cut open? The OE filter that come on my car when I bought it new was a 15208 65F0D.
15208 65FOC Also, this was the AAP oil change promo from last month with QSHP/UD with the $10 off $25 coupon and the $10 QSUD rebate, you mentioned on the promo board. Sweet synthetic oil change special.
cheers3.gif
I forgot the Shell V Power fuel system cleaner that was free with it.

I use either filter on my 04 Altima(#14610 or #14459) depending on which one is in stock at the time I'm buying. I have used the large #24458(no longer being made) but, got too much startup rattle(even in warm temps) as these Altima's experience this quite often anyway. I get less startup rattle with the #14610 even in the cold winter so this is what I use during the cold seasons. I'll try to stay with the #14459 during the summer.

I had originally asked this in what turned out to be the motorcycle forum, so I think I'll repost a similar version here:

Would anyone know if the PL14559 could be used on a 2005 Honda Accord V6? (AT, Sedan, if it matters.) It stands to reason that the 7th-gen Accord, having been designed before the new 15400-PLM-A01's introduction in early 2004, should have been engineered in such a fashion as to allow it to use the older filter. Indeed, I suppose that one could even suggest that it was designed *for* the older filter.

As someone who is now out of warranty, my concern with using the "approved" filters is less significant than that of receiving the best filtration. Should there be no flow or oil pressure issues issues, and considering that the motor could indeed have been engineered for a filter of this size, I see no reason to go for the 14610 as opposed to the 14459. Is that a reasonable opinion? Would the flow and pressure advantages of a smaller filter, such as the 14610, override the superior filtration offered by the 14459?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back