newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'd like to ask for opinions please. after looking around I have made a couple of assumptions. they are
1. multi-vis oils ( dino and syth.)use coiled polymers for viscosity at operating temperature,
2. these polymers shear over time/use reducing viscosity at temperature
3.combustion produces by products ( soot, moisture, acids, sulphurs, fuel contamination )
4.these contaminates are absorbed, held in suspention,and nuetrelized by the oils additive package.
5. these additive packages are depleted over time/use.

Now I would LOVE to extend my oil changes to 10,000, 20,000 EVEN 30,000 as some oils like amsoil claim. And as I understand it the lubricating property of the oil is still intact at these mileages, but are these oils additive packages THAT robust that they are still keeping an engine safe from these contaminates at that mileage? Also are these oils so shear stable that that they are still in viscosity at temperature at those mileages.
All opinions are appreciated. Hopefully there may be a few amsoil reps that visit this site who may be able to help.
thanks, Mike

YES! Amsoil can and will run for extended drains like you are talking about. I run Amsoil 0W30 signature series in our Dodge Grand Caravan and only change the oil & filter once every year and the van runs great starts no matter how cold it gets, and it can get pretty cold here in Nebraska and I do not have to worry about the heat in the summer either. Example we bought the van used it had a basic fram filter and bulk Pennzoil from Wal-Mart 1st thing I did when we got it was Amsoilize the thing top to bottom the idle was quieter and the temp noticeably went down on the dash gage vs. the oil that it had prior; this was on a 95 degree day and it stayed that way on every hot day thereafter. These results have stayed true ever since then and it has not wavered at all! We will continue to use Amsoil in everything we own, I also use it in my John Deere lawn tractor that has a 22 hp air-cooled engine and it is fantastic in it as well. I change the oil it the same time I do the van and once a year as well. I use the Deere year round to plow snow in my driveway and then all summer long mowing in summer heat never needing to add a drop of oil between changes and it keeps the Deere running cooler in summer and makes for easier starts in the winter.

if you have any doubts about how the oil is doing you can take small periodic samples and have them lab tested to see if in fact the oil is still able to be used for long drains and I think you will find Amsoil very up to the task of extended use. This is what they have based the company on since 1972 and as far as I am concerned they deliver!

Dino oils use/rely more on the Vii's, coiled polymers to you. Some/many syns use little to none, a property of the base oil. Contamination will either get caught by filter if right size, or pass thru, if a pseudo colloidal size/type will float around while oil circulates then fall to oil pan bottom when engine is off. The oil soluable stuff is more trouble, can't filter it only treat it with adds primarily the TBN stuff. Any Big 5 group 3 syn can go a year, 10-15k miles, with normal filters. If you want more, then group 4/5 needed with advanced filters, changed on schedule and may need some amount of makeup oil to keep a viable additive level. Does the oil wear out? if asking it to go a million miles it will not last, 100k? also not make it, something less, now in the possible range. This may be more than you want to read and less than you want to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back