New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look)

VW dealers can no longer order Castrol oil as they are no longer dealing with castrol. Call any dealer and ask. they will tell you. all of the new oil is in fact manufactured 10000000% by mobil and branded and boxed at Genuine VW oil. As of 01/01/2020

you will soon see ALL vw oils weight soon come boxed and bottled this way.

If you go to a dealer and they give you castrol its becuase its what they have left and once that is gone in the dealer thats it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Anybody know what Mobil product this is? Surely it is a private label version of something already in the market.

It's either rebottled 0w30 ESP, or 99% the same.

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
VW dealers can no longer order Castrol oil as they are no longer dealing with castrol. Call any dealer and ask. they will tell you. all of the new oil is in fact manufactured 10000000% by mobil and branded and boxed at Genuine VW oil. As of 01/01/2020

you will soon see ALL vw oils weight soon come boxed and bottled this way.

If you go to a dealer and they give you castrol its becuase its what they have left and once that is gone in the dealer thats it.

Well, you are absolutely correct and i stand corrected. I just called the same two dealerships as i had a couple weeks ago but this time asked to speak with the Parts Department. The two gentlemen i spoke with said the same thing. "Castrol is the offiicial brand but VW is moving away from them and towards their own branded oil in a black bottle". one of the parts Technicians even told me "the bottle actually looks like a Mobil1 bottle". I'm sure he meant Mobil.

Last edited:
oh no I put French oil in my VW.

Its Curtains!

Can I re-use the drained Green oil for

Pomme Frite

I d love to know what was put in my car in Mexico( or Germany If prefilled) It was truly stunning oil.

The MOTUL is just like MOBIL but from across the pond.

Last edited:
I must have the "new stuff". My dealer LOF of 2 days ago confirms the update.
It shows the oil part # as G E555401BDSP and below that description on the 2nd line, "part interchanges with G052167S0".
Casterol Edge done/gone for the VW/Audi product here I guess.

Looking online by G-E55-540-1B-DSP, there no ref image or photo as the one posted above ont his thread "G-E55-030-1Q-DSP". The cost shows it $16 to $18 with no pack size listed at a dozen or so sources.
This is LOF v#2 on the car- 11,180 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dedonderosa
Well looks like VW/Audi has officially switched brands from Castrol to their own Branded oil. which you can see by the bottles is Mobil.

[Linked Image]

Check out the bottle design and the graphics of this bottle of Mercedes Benz transmission oil. Seem similar?

0D98222A-AA58-4BF6-9BCD-472BFBFC6791.jpeg

Last edited:
The AC Delco Dex VI I used recently was in that bottle - calmer label … LoL

Last edited:
The bottle tells the story....Exxon/Mobil product.....Mobil Super/SuperSyn bottle.....AC Delco, VW, and all the others that use that bottle.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
The bottle tells the story....Exxon/Mobil product.....Mobil Super/SuperSyn bottle.....AC Delco, VW, and all the others that use that bottle.

And technically...
It's the Mobil1 ESP bottle shape as well, not just Mobil Super. Which as stated by the OP, lends credence to the possibility of this oil being M1 ESP X2.

Originally Posted by wemay

And technically...
It's the Mobil1 ESP bottle shape as well, not just Mobil Super. Which as stated by the OP, lends credence to the possibility of this oil being M1 ESP X2.

Incorrect.
Mobil 1 bottles have a completely different molded shape.

And technically...

Incorrect.

Not to mention X2 is 0w20

And technically...

Incorrect.

Sorry but you are mistaken here. All Mobil1 ESP bottles (as i initially stated), including the X2 0W-20 are the same bottle shape/mold as Mobil Super. Take a look for yourself...
All other Mobil1 variants use the bottle with the sharp upper right edge.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

And technically...

Incorrect.

Sorry but you are mistaken here. All Mobil1 ESP bottles (as i initially stated), including the X2 0W-20 are the same bottle shape/mold as Mobil Super. Take a look for yourself...
All other Mobil1 variants use the bottle with the sharp upper right edge.

Both bottle shapes you pictured are ESP

If I had to guess I would say the French made stuff has the Super type bottle and the US made stuff has the regular M1 bottle.

Euro sites use that bottle and so do US sites for several things - it is basically the "other" Mobil bottle

Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.

Last edited:
Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.

It's old stock. 'ESP Formula' was changed to 'ESP' a few years ago. They were both made in France and had the Super bottles. Shortly after changing to just 'ESP' production moved to USA, which also moved to GTL based, and they also changed to the other style bottles at some point.

In any event the OP oil is not is X2 because that is 0w20.

Back