New Valvoline Oil

Yeah well they all do it including "trust us" boutique brands.

Look how many people for years thought Red Line cleaned LMAO. Nope. Will run clean though. Red Line failed the TEOST test years ago when Amsoil tested it. While it was not necessarily the great test, it does have some relevancy and potential implication for IVD's.

They all do it. Nothing against Valvoline.

If you read the back of a bottle of STP ceramic oil treatment; it says something to the effect that it ‘keeps the engine clean’…I think this new technology has something to do with a boron/ceramic substance that does cleaning as well as preventing deposits from sticking to metal.

Did they ever say deposits though? Cleaning power to clean sludge but I don't recall any brand claiming they can remove piston deposits back to factory levels.

The wording is usually - exceptional cleaning power, clean sludge in one change, prevents deposits keeping pistons clean. Nothing about cleaning carbon deposits that I can recall.
Exxon Mobil technical_Page_25.jpg

There's another as well, will have to dig it up, give me a bit, have to pop out for a few.

BTW, I'm not including oils like HPL, Amsoil SS or Torco in the list of oils that can't clean piston deposits. I'm talking about off the shelf oils.

What are you implying?

Unless Adam invented HPL before he lost a rib, was a new product at one time, as is the Valvoline stuff now.

Time will tell if the Valvoline is good stuff. I suspect it is, as just about every oil that isn't made by Slippy Goo* or one of it's brethren is generally pretty good oil.

*Slippy Goo is not a real oil maker. It's a figment of my imagination - implying that it would be a inferior product made in Paw Paw Slippys' shed in a big drum from bacon grease, KY Jelly, and crude from the little oil well on the back 40. Could cause immediate rod knock.

4WD really got ya in the feels?

@Foxtrot08 appears to know his stuff. I have to put him in the 'trust me bro' segment of BITOG because, well, he insists upon us trusting him because he is supposedly in the industry.

That's not even a dig on Foxtrot. It's a dig on the forum, as it is a forum on the super reliable world wide web (BIG shout out to my homie Al Gore, since he invented the internet (isn't that ironic, don't ya think)(Al Gore didn't invent the internet, that was a false claim that he made that has been regurgitated so often that an abhorrently large population will solemnly swear on the Lords book that Al gore did indeed, invent the internet). There are almost infinite "trust me bro's", to the point where I prefer data over feeling or intuition or other false information (gasp) found on the (bigger gasp) internet. There is so much regurgitation of 'alternative facts' that those absolutely inane regurgitators puke back up that a lotta drivel is now believed to be fact.

@Invisible - tell me when I'm telling lies.

And if you are going to quote, quote the whole thing. Context is important to us visible people.

EDITING TO ADD: FWIW, I do think he's in the industry and I do think he knows his stuff. But that doesn't mean he's still not more than a 'trust me bro' because I've been fooled before. I mean, I've seen pictures of people on the internet that aren't even real people. I've seen people masquerading as exspherts just end up being imbeciles with an internet connection and a mastery of Google Search. I've seen men pretending to be younger ladies in order to get the men to send them money. I'm sorry if this has jaded me to anyone on the internet who claims to be such and such.

Last edited:
Maybe they're able to claim that RP is the only oil capable of cleaning piston deposits because no other oil company attempted to try that particular test (IIIH) to see if it could be done.

If it's true that it's just marketing bs then I would have to say Valvoline is the worst of the worst in that regard.

Last edited:
Back