New Valvoline Oil

1715008605214.jpg

They provided an awesome explanation of how their product works. It sounds a lot like "trust me bro".
Considering there are many PhD's in this industry that move around and have worked with different additive companies, new technologies can be introduced. Is this one of them? I don't know.

If it's proprietary to Valvoline, which I believe it is, then I wouldn't expect them to give out the recipe on a silver platter.

other than, “yeah I used it and my engine didn’t blow up” there’s not much objectively that can be quantified and assigned to a given oil. About the only thing (which is still subjective to a degree) would be under VC or oil pan pics, before & after.

TL;DR: if the oil is actually certified on what it claims, and it meets the engine’s needs, no oil is a magic bullet. Even the very best oils can only achieve a “no harm” policy in an engine as far as wear, but some can clean off accumulated sludge & varnish if they contain the correct amounts of alkylated napthalenes & esters.

“Restore” is a bit of a misnomer as all it could do is clean back to original condition (can’t reverse wear); the “Protect” should already be inherent in using an oil with the correct certifications regardless of manufacturer, grade, or product line. 🤷
gotta love American advertising.

Considering there are many PhD's in this industry that move around and have worked with different additive companies, new technologies can be introduced. Is this one of them? I don't know.
That’s the problem here - lots of members that jump to conclusions based on a personal belief system … I’m gonna remain objective …

If it's proprietary to Valvoline, which I believe it is, then I wouldn't expect them to give out the recipe on a silver platter.
That's exactly my point: he's a PhD, perfectly capable and educated well enough to provide a reasonable explanation without giving away any secrets. The Valvoline HQ receptionist could have said the same thing: "it's new technology".

What’s out there - under-maintained engines and 10X zoom on filters … Not exactly tested by SWRI …
Per @High Performance Lubricants' claims, their Engine Cleaner is meant to prepare your engine for their oil. The Engine Cleaner is not a complete solution, but rather running their fully formulated motor oils is. Why does the engine need preparation? Per HPL, in case there is a lot of sludge and other gunk inside the engine, when you run their oils directly, the oil filter might get plugged up pretty quickly. The Engine Cleaner performs a mild cleaning beforehand. It is not needed for most engines that were reasonable maintained, and not at all for new vehicles where the owner wants to run HPL.

That's exactly my point: he's a PhD, perfectly capable and educated well enough to provide a reasonable explanation without giving away any secrets. The Valvoline HQ receptionist could have said the same thing: "it's new technology".
Unfortunately, that's not how it ever works. The only company I'm aware of that specifically states we use xyz base oils is HPL, Torco and Red Line. Amsoil doesn't even do that anymore.

In terms of cleaning, we know ester-based products run clean and will keep engines cleaner. To what degree they can clean baked on carbon deposits around the pistons is unknown. Based on King Industries PDF, and a response I received from Amsoil, the polar base oils used in these products can achieve those results.

Amsoil's cleaning ability per Amsoil:
1715009822760.jpg

Per @High Performance Lubricants' claims, their Engine Cleaner is meant to prepare your engine for their oil. The Engine Cleaner is not a complete solution, but rather running their fully formulated motor oils is. Why does the engine need preparation? Per HPL, in case there is a lot of sludge and other gunk inside the engine, when you run their oils directly, the oil filter might get plugged up pretty quickly. The Engine Cleaner performs a mild cleaning beforehand. It is not needed for most engines that were reasonable maintained, and not at all for new vehicles where the owner wants to run HPL.
I think that has been posted 100 times and SueBee has loved faced it 100 times - Thank you.

Typical Walmart pricing, they currently list the 0w20 for $26.60 on sale from $29.97 but 5w20 & 5w30 are $29.97 down from $39.99. I think the actual price is misleading and noway they would normally sell it for more than places such as Napa & AZ.

Seems like the price they are selling the other two is the actual price but making it appear that you are getting a discount.

Seems like the price they are selling the other two is the actual price but making it appear that you are getting a discount.
It's hard to sell a jug of oil at over $30. People who shop Walmart will just not pay for it. I can see how the dust gathers on Royal Purple jugs at Walmart. Some stores have stopped carrying that purple dyed turd completely. Short of $40 per jug before sales tax, no one wanted it.

It's hard to sell a jug of oil at over $30. People who shop Walmart will just not pay for it. I can see how the dust gathers on Royal Purple jugs at Walmart. Some stores have stopped carrying that purple died turd completely. Short of $40 per jug before sales tax, no one wanted it.
Totally oblique comments - going to dinner - Bye 👋

I'm sure it would just as enlightening as the Pennzoil Q&A's.

Q. "What is in your oil that makes it special?"

A. "It's got a whole lot of nunya in it."

Q. "Ummm what is nunya?"

A. "NUNYA BUSINESS!"
I don’t get why they don’t give out at least a little bit more info. It’s not like their competitors aren’t running their oils through the expensive tests that truly deconstruct the formulations anyway.

Back