New truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Nobody but Amsoil guarantees their oil for up to 35,000 miles/1year. I know a lot of people don't agree with that, but I happen to love the fact that I only have to change my oil once a year.

And I can't believe how many people on this site actually believe the auto manufactures actually care about improving gas mileage. They only do as much as the feds mandate that they do. (why do you think they've been cheating on the mpg ratings for so many years?)

If they went full synth on all of their cars it would cost them too much money. And we all know they don't have money to waste these days.

EPA (Fed Gov) is why the MPG ratings are screwed up.

I've used full syn vs blends vs conventional oils in MANY vehicles driving the same route and have NEVER seen any improvement with any oils.

Change from 10-40 to 5w-30. I have seen some change in MPG with weights of oils, not type.

The MFG would LOVE to get 1/2 MPG.

Bill

Respectfully disagree. Got to fueleconomy.gov and you'll see all the adjusted mpg ratings. usually about 10% below that of the manufacturer. Ahhh, but now for 2008 and beyond, the manufacturer is required to post the real numbers that the cars will get in real traffic during real life driving conditions.

A lot of numbers will drop.

As for synth improving mpg. Some see it, some don't. I have. My T&C with a 3.8 did a good deal better.
stirthepot.gif

i could do that as well. Question Pablo, would i see any benefit in the ASL even though i am changing at whatever the OLM is?

Quote:

i could do that as well. Question Pablo, would i see any benefit in the ASL even though i am changing at whatever the OLM is?

I think the only bene of ASL may be slightly less chance for high temp deposits over the many years and hundreds of thousands of miles if you stick with the same routine (just a thought really) but when the warranty runs out you will go 2X or 3X OLM with ASL anyway.

FWIW: I will soon begin 2X OLM with ASM in my van and the warranty is still in effect.

Regarding the "if synthetic were so good, the manufacturers would use put it in the new car" argument.

I have been directly involved with GM and Ford assembly plants for over 2 decades. They are as tight wad about costs as anyone. They go with the lowest bid on a product that only meets the minimum standard. Period.

The only time they will go out of their way to go to a synthetic is in a niche vehicle that they know a few bucks more to the cost will not mean anything to the buyer. On those vehicles, the profit margin is greater anyway.

My argument is not whether synthetic or conventional the best for each use, just that the OEM's are only concerned with getting a vehicle into the buyer's hand and make the most from the sale.

An analogy, various trucking companies will haul to the OEM plants, the OEM's require a bid on each lane. The trucking company that can provide the best service and least product damage does not always win the bid. It's all about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back