New truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

Have a 08 Saturn Outlook.

Still on original oil at 1300 miles. I plan on doing my first change at 2k and switching to full syn. I plan on using Mobil 1 EP and a M1 EP Filter as i can get both rather easy and cheap by me. I plan to either follow the OLM or change ever 6-7k. Does this sound good or can i do better?

Overkill. Just run the factory fill until the OLM drops below 10%, then do a change.

Use conventional oil. There's really no need to use synthetic oil as the OLM is calibrated for conventional. And contrary to what others may tell you, using synthetic oil may not buy you any "insurance" either.

Also, if your Outlook has the 3.6L engine, I believe that it uses a cartridge oil filter. I don't think there's a M1 EP cartridge filter for that application.

I am without question using syn. With every car i have ever owned switching to syn. has brought me an increase in gas mileage. I have just been debating between M1 and Amsoil

It is the ame 3.6L that is in the Acadia and Enclave and does use a spin-on filter PN M1113

Quote:

I am without question using syn. With every car i have ever owned switching to syn. has brought me an increase in gas mileage.

Odd. If there was truly a gain in fuel economy, then why hasn't every OEM gone to synthetic for factory fill? Detroit would be all over every 0.25mpg gain that they could get.

Quote:

It is the same 3.6L that is in the Acadia and Enclave and does use a spin-on filter PN M1113

Really? The 3.6L engine in the CTS has a cartridge filter AFAIK.

The CTS does use a cartridge. It appears it is not the exact same engine as the Lambda's are using

Quote:

Hey All,

Have a 08 Saturn Outlook.

Still on original oil at 1300 miles. I plan on doing my first change at 2k and switching to full syn. I plan on using Mobil 1 EP and a M1 EP Filter as i can get both rather easy and cheap by me. I plan to either follow the OLM or change ever 6-7k. Does this sound good or can i do better?

Amsoil is a better choice. Should only cost you only around $10 more per OCI - versus that of the EP.

SOPUS oils (Pennzoil/Quaker State) are the best values right now. Great wear protection, less expensive - plus will serve you well for your expected OCI length. Both are $19.97 for 5-qt jug at the nearest 'Wall Of China Store' in your area.

Nobody but Amsoil guarantees their oil for up to 35,000 miles/1year. I know a lot of people don't agree with that, but I happen to love the fact that I only have to change my oil once a year.

And I can't believe how many people on this site actually believe the auto manufactures actually care about improving gas mileage. They only do as much as the feds mandate that they do. (why do you think they've been cheating on the mpg ratings for so many years?)

If they went full synth on all of their cars it would cost them too much money. And we all know they don't have money to waste these days.

Quote:

Nobody but Amsoil guarantees their oil for up to 35,000 miles/1year. I know a lot of people don't agree with that, but I happen to love the fact that I only have to change my oil once a year.

And I can't believe how many people on this site actually believe the auto manufactures actually care about improving gas mileage. They only do as much as the feds mandate that they do. (why do you think they've been cheating on the mpg ratings for so many years?)

If they went full synth on all of their cars it would cost them too much money. And we all know they don't have money to waste these days.

EPA (Fed Gov) is why the MPG ratings are screwed up.

I've used full syn vs blends vs conventional oils in MANY vehicles driving the same route and have NEVER seen any improvement with any oils.

Change from 10-40 to 5w-30. I have seen some change in MPG with weights of oils, not type.

The MFG would LOVE to get 1/2 MPG.

Bill

Last edited:
Another thread about Mobil 1 EP . . . how boring can you get?
frown.gif

Since i am changing somewhere around 7k i dont think i will see anything different between M1 and Amsoil. I think i will just stick with the M1EP oil and filter

Actually i just changed my mind. I am going to go with ASL SAE 5W-30 and the EAO47.

You guys know over the years that I have been a doubter of synthetic motor oils improving mileage (I always have known that syn gear oils and ATF improve MPG) . But I must say in the last year+ there have been many folks that are now seeing new cars, with the new synthetics really and truly seeing a slight gain in MPG. I think someday car manufacturers will switch.

Quote:

You guys know over the years that I have been a doubter of synthetic motor oils improving mileage (I always have known that syn gear oils and ATF improve MPG) . But I must say in the last year+ there have been many folks that are now seeing new cars, with the new synthetics really and truly seeing a slight gain in MPG. I think someday car manufacturers will switch.

I wish I could agree that the manufacturers will switch to synth. I suppose some of the high end ones will (some already have) but the main ones need to keep costs down. It'll take years for them to get outta the red and be able to justify oil that cost 3 times as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back