New Truck recommendation

Hi all. I have a Pilot and a Camry. Recent circumstances require me to get rid of my Camry and replace it with something that has more utility. A pickup truck seems to fit the bill. 80% of the time this will be used for mall crawler duty, but I will need to drive on poor mountain dirt roads occasionally and pull a small trailer (5k lbs or less) on those roads. There will be snow and mud on those roads too. I'm a fairly big boy with long legs, and like my comfort. I'll also need the truck to fit at least 5 people. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time (at least 200K, but typically 250K miles) and hate repairs, so reliability is probably my #1 criteria. I had a 2021 chevy 3.0 diesel for a while, but the noises that thing made WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OFF scared the hell out of me (clicks, whistles and rumbles when I approached it with the key in my pocket), so fearing eventual electrical gremlins I sold it--plus the price of diesel in my area was 25% higher than gas, negating the mpg advantage. F-150s are too dam expensive, Tundra turbos are now junk, and I don't fit in Tacomas. I'm thinking of a 4x4 Frontier SV, or a base model Chevy extended cab with the 2.7L turbo. I know nothing about Ram, other than the fact it's a Dodge made by some someone with a less than stellar reputation. FYI, I have no "little guy, big truck" ego. So, what the heck should I buy?

Hi all. I have a Pilot and a Camry. Recent circumstances require me to get rid of my Camry and replace it with something that has more utility. A pickup truck seems to fit the bill. 80% of the time this will be used for mall crawler duty, but I will need to drive on poor mountain dirt roads occasionally and pull a small trailer (5k lbs or less) on those roads. There will be snow and mud on those roads too. I'm a fairly big boy with long legs, and like my comfort. I'll also need the truck to fit at least 5 people. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time (at least 200K, but typically 250K miles) and hate repairs, so reliability is probably my #1 criteria. I had a 2021 chevy 3.0 diesel for a while, but the noises that thing made WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OFF scared the hell out of me (clicks, whistles and rumbles when I approached it with the key in my pocket), so fearing eventual electrical gremlins I sold it--plus the price of diesel in my area was 25% higher than gas, negating the mpg advantage. F-150s are too dam expensive, Tundra turbos are now junk, and I don't fit in Tacomas. I'm thinking of a 4x4 Frontier SV, or a base model Chevy extended cab with the 2.7L turbo. I know nothing about Ram, other than the fact it's a Dodge made by some someone with a less than stellar reputation. FYI, I have no "little guy, big truck" ego. So, what the heck should I buy?
Get a 2nd gen Tundra. Not the best MPG but very reliable. I have a 2010 with 185,000 miles and only thing I've had to do to it other than routine maintenance is replace a rear leaf spring that broke at 175,000 miles.

If you have 5 ppl in the truck a lot, you need at least a half-ton or 3/4 ton truck; a Ridgeline or Frontier won't really work. Plus those 5 ppl each come with their luggage, so you really need the space for them and their stuff.

We are only 2 ppl with luggage and doggo, but we went half-ton diesel since we do a lot of road trips and some towing. For us, it works perfectly and I can't imagine cramming all the stuff we take with us on 2-3 week trips into a less than half-ton pickup.

None of them are flawless, so it comes down to pick your deficiencies.
For a smaller truck, the Frontier is what I would look at.

I had a 2021 chevy 3.0 diesel for a while, but the noises that thing made WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OFF scared the hell out of me (clicks, whistles and rumbles when I approached it with the key in my pocket), so fearing eventual electrical gremlins I sold it
Sounds like it was happy to see you. What makes you think a new truck won't do the same? That's just the doors unlocking, the fuel system priming, etc.

Get a 2nd gen Tundra. Not the best MPG but very reliable. I have a 2010 with 185,000 miles and only thing I've had to do to it other than routine maintenance is replace a rear leaf spring that broke at 175,000 miles.
I usually have bad luck with used (even toyotas) so now I only buy new.

Sounds like it was happy to see you. What makes you think a new truck won't do the same? That's just the doors unlocking, the fuel system priming, etc.
I've owned a LOT of cars in my 60 plus years--never had one make those noises before. Plus at the time is was a relatively new engine, and a GM product. Enough said. Further, I got rid of it during the Covid vehicle shortage, so the bath I took was very, very mild.

I own a 19' Frontier SV crew cab. If you are tall (long legged), you will have a hard time fitting 5 in the truck, FYI. It is a great truck, though.
It gets 17 MPG and don't have many problems at all. The tow capacity is better than average too. Good luck in your search

If you have 5 ppl in the truck a lot, you need at least a half-ton or 3/4 ton truck; a Ridgeline or Frontier won't really work. Plus those 5 ppl each come with their luggage, so you really need the space for them and their stuff.

We are only 2 ppl with luggage and doggo, but we went half-ton diesel since we do a lot of road trips and some towing. For us, it works perfectly and I can't imagine cramming all the stuff we take with us on 2-3 week trips into a less than half-ton pickup.
Will only need room for 5 when the kids come to visit (not very often).

I am considering a Tacoma. We may be getting rid of our fleet plan for salaried employees, so would get a stipen every month. Still not sure what that "plan" would look like yet, just a lot of speculation.

If I needed a smaller truck to tow 5k or less, I'd be taking a hard look at the Ridgeline. I really liked the newer one I drove. If long term reliability is a concern, I'd definitely get one with less gadgets from whatever brand you go with.
I think I need body on frame--the mountain roads are pretty tough.

If it has to be new, Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton gasser w/ Allison 10 speed. A few folks here have bought them recently and have posted about them. I'm not a fan of DI myself, but you said it must be new, so take DI intake cleaning every 50k or whatever it is into consideration.

If it has to be new, Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton gasser w/ Allison 10 speed. A few folks here have bought them recently and have posted about them. I'm not a fan of DI myself, but you said it must be new, so take DI intake cleaning every 50k or whatever it is into consideration.
For towing 5,000 pounds?

Believe it or not, the current RAM is ranked number 1 for reliability by Repair Pal. Take it for what it's worth. I'm also looking at a newer truck. I've driven them all except the new Tundra and the RAM has the nicest interior and best ride. The truck that surprised me the most was the Titan. Wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was.

Believe it or not, the current RAM is ranked number 1 for reliability by Repair Pal. Take it for what it's worth. I'm also looking at a newer truck. I've driven them all except the new Tundra and the RAM has the nicest interior and best ride. The truck that surprised me the most was the Titan. Wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was.
I considered the Titan-still am. Why do these things sell in such low numbers?

Back