2022 RAM Ecodiesel - 16 Months & 15K Miles

Well, it's been about 1.5 yrs of owning Chewy, time in which I've put a hair over 15,500 miles on him. Most of those miles have been road trips from/to FL and other parts of the Deep South where extended family resides. I figured I'd do a quick summary of ownership experience so far.

It is a Big Horn trim quad-cab with the 5ft 7in bed, auto-folding mirrors (so it can fit in the garage), lane keep assist, towing package with integrated trailer brakes, emergency auto braking based on front and rear sensors, and 8.4in entertainment console with ApplePlay and navigation standard. This is the 3rd gen Ecodiesel 3.0L V6 engine made by VM Motori coupled with the venerable ZF 8-spd transmission and a 3.21 rear end.

I've had a few upgrades done in the past year, namely:
  • New triple-projector LED headlamps and DRLs
  • New blacked out LED taillight assemblies
  • WeatherTech bug hood deflector
  • Black MOPAR "RAM" letters on front grill
  • Black RAM center logo on tailgate
  • Black Voxx wheels (kept tires and switched them to hide white lettering)
  • Front window tint to match factory rear
  • Black aluminum running boards
  • DualLiner bedliner
  • TonnoPro bed cover
  • MOPAR tail assist step

Chewy.jpg

During these 15,000+ miles I've performed the following services:
  • 3 oil changes (1st @ 3,500, 2nd @ 10,000, 3rd @ 15,000)
  • 1 fuel filter change @10,000
  • Topped off DEF tank with at least 7 containers of 2.5g of Premium DEF (only type used)
  • Tires rotated and balanced 3X (every 5,000ish)
  • Warranty work: checking alignment of tailgate latches, no adjustment needed
  • On the list for HPFP recall with local CDJR dealer, no appt yet
I've had no downtime or unscheduled repairs other than maintenance items above, and wouldn't hesitate to hop in to drive him cross-country. In fact, we'll be doing just that next weekend for the holidays.

I've towed with it once with no issues, but I have hauled some quite heavy loads several times this past year, including a pallet of mulch, concrete blocks, bags of concrete powder, as well as gardening dirt and compost among others. No issues hauling any of the above.

Other than the vast majority of the miles being from highway long trips where he averages 28-31mpg with the cruise typically set to 75-80, I'm seeing 23ish locally. That works out to about 26mpg average since purchasing it in July last year. I use Hot Shot's EDT with every fillup too. Overall, not too bad in my book.

It continues to be a comfortable place to spend time, quiet at highway speeds and safe, very roomy for the type of trips we typically do where we load up the bed full of luggage and the doggo in the backseat area. It may not be the ideal vehicle for city dwellers or covered parking decks, but where we live out in the country it's exactly what we need.

This was my 1st ever brand new vehicle purchase, also my 1st ever pickup truck though not my first (or only) diesel vehicle, so I know exactly what I got myself into and how to maintain it. It is currently stock but I'm considering a GDE tune in the near future, just doing my research in the meantime.

Just sharing an update and a pic for your enjoyment.

Get "him" some truck nutz to make it official. 😂

Happy to hear of your success so far. It seems I routinely hear of more unhappy new vehicle buyers than anything but that could be legit too. Who wants to have things go wrong on a new vehicle you pay a high dollar for.

Digging the black color and it sounds like a keeper.

Get "him" some truck nutz to make it official. 😂

Happy to hear of your success so far. It seems I routinely hear of more unhappy new vehicle buyers than anything but that could be legit too. Who wants to have things go wrong on a new vehicle you pay a high dollar for.

Digging the black color and it sounds like a keeper.
I'll leave those to the "padrons" who like to lower their rigs and put on stupid-wide but small wheels ;)

I know a lot of people like to hate on the Ecodiesels, especially the '14-'19 engines that have had many issues and complaints; I just thought it might be useful for folks to know there are those of us who have no issues and are perfectly happy with their purchase.

I'll leave those to the "padrons" who like to lower their rigs and put on stupid-wide but small wheels ;)

I know a lot of people like to hate on the Ecodiesels, especially the '14-'19 engines that have had many issues and complaints; I just thought it might be useful for folks to know there are those of us who have no issues and are perfectly happy with their purchase.
I've seen them on raised or lowered trucks so size doesn't matter. 😆

I bought into the most hated Power Stroke engine & couldn't be happier. I know what you mean. Your review is great. Keep on truckin'.

I usually just hate on the trucks with or without aftermarket lights that blind the crap out of me to the point I cant see in front of the car.
Dont need trucknuts for that. :ROFLMAO:.
Had one behind me last night the whole inside of my car lit up as if I had a couple 100w bulbs plugged in.
Looked like aftermarket projector housings.. with LED or hids.
(this was in the forester wilderness cant imagine how bad it would have been in the sedan)

I really like the idea of diesel.. but the upfront cost + emissions complexity + additional maintenance + diesel costing 30-40% more than gas. = I cant justify it.
Goes for car or truck.

My last gas fillup was 1.20 gallon.. but even without price shenanigans
gas right now is 2.67 and diesel is 3.95+ additives

That truck looks really nice. I love driving the 2020 Ram Hemi.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean on the blinding lights "upgrades" that are everywhere these days. I looked far and wide for a set that were quality, with excellent cut-off, output control, and adjustability. They weren't cheap but man, do they light up the night without blinding oncoming traffic. (For those interested, take a look at the company and their products).

I don't mind the upfront cost as long as I stand to recoup on the backend, with longer engine life that typically lasts into the hundreds of thousands of miles. Yes, the emissions system is by far the biggest source of potential issues on modern diesels, luckily there are certain workarounds... As it stands, the powertrain carries a 100K-mile warranty, so there is sufficient peace of mind.

As for the price spread of fuel, in my area diesel fuel is currently running $3.59 a gallon and cheapest gasoline is $2.75 . It's not enough to make a significant difference to my pocket, all things considered, especially considering most other full-size pickups could barely manage mid- to upper-teens fuel economy numbers. Then there's the towing/hauling capability where diesels will always outshine gassers.

Besides, why spark when you can glow? ;)

Looks like a sweet truck, my brother had a 2019 Ram and I thought it had a great interior. He just trade that in for a 2023 GMC Sierra AT4 with the Duramax so I look forward to trying that out over the holidays. I wish I was in a place to be able to get either a Ram with the EcoDiesel or a GM with the little Duramax. I think both are sweet engines, but unfortunately a little too expensive for me currently. Maybe someday in the future.

I considered the Duramax in the updated Sierra/Silverado before settling on the Ram. I drove several back to back in a single day and the Sierra/Silverado twins powertrain seemed quite a bit smoother than the Ram. This is likely because the Ram's 3.0L is V6 while the other two have the Duramax inline-6. The other reason might be the 10-spd transmission in the twins vs the 8-spd in the Ram. I think all 3 have very similar rear axle ratios (3.23 vs 3.21 I think).

Anyway, I really liked the one Sierra I drove around. As I said, very smooth powertrain and good body control/dampening. The Ram does ride a little better suspension-wise, and has a better designed and laid out interior in my opinion. The updated Sierra/Silverado are much better than the pre-22 models but still not quite as nice as the Ram, I thought.

Ultimately it came down to both price and availability. The Sierra that I liked MSRP'd for $74k which left quite the sticker shock, and they didn't have a lesser trim model available on the lot; I'd have to order and wait 6 months. The Ram MSRP'd for $56k instead, and the dealer also had another 5 models available to look at (including a couple Laramies and Longhorns).

At the end of the day, I love the truck and hope it serves me well for the next 10 years. So far, so good.

Nice truck! I had a '15 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a GDE tune. I put 30,000+ on that truck and loved it. But all of the reports of others having catastrophic issues with theirs got in my head, and I sold it for a hemi 1500.

I frequent the RAM 1500 Diesel forums and have read quite a bit about the engine failures on the '14-'19 models. For a long time I was skeptical if the "80% revised" latest gen EcoD would yield better results, so I watched the waters and read blogs; what else was there to do during COVID anyway?

Fast-forward about 2 years and the 3rd gen EcoD seems to be wearing in nicely, nowhere near the reported issues of the previous version. When it was finally time I drove them all back to back as I said and pulled the trigger on the one I thought best; thus far no regrets.

The GDE tune really wakes it up. I really liked that it disabled the factory EGR system. No diesel engine should have a cooled EGR on it, just leads to lots of buildup in the intake.

Agreed, and one of several reasons I would choose GDE. I believe the new gen engines have an updated EGR design that uses both low- and high-pressure to achieve emissions goals, which is supposed to result in much tighter control and less deposits buildup in the intake (probably on the EGR valve as well). The only way to confirm that would be to open it up and do a visual inspection, I'm just not inclined to do that right now...

The one thing I do like about EGR is that it assists with quicker engine temp warming; other than that, I wouldn't be upset if it fell off the truck one day. I think I'm pretty much decided to go with GDE in the next few months. So far this is the only unmodified diesel in my stable, every other one I've had has been tuned at some point. I can only wait so long...

I frequent the RAM 1500 Diesel forums and have read quite a bit about the engine failures on the '14-'19 models. For a long time I was skeptical if the "80% revised" latest gen EcoD would yield better results, so I watched the waters and read blogs; what else was there to do during COVID anyway?

Fast-forward about 2 years and the 3rd gen EcoD seems to be wearing in nicely, nowhere near the reported issues of the previous version. When it was finally time I drove them all back to back as I said and pulled the trigger on the one I thought best; thus far no regrets.

I saw a thread here on bitog which suggested the vast majority of gen 2 failures were due to the wrong oil. I've always been confused as to why many gen 2s do so well without a single failure (and under severe towing duty) and others fail really fast, the oil might be a valid theory.

I saw a thread here on bitog which suggested the vast majority of gen 2 failures were due to the wrong oil. I've always been confused as to why many gen 2s do so well without a single failure (and under severe towing duty) and others fail really fast, the oil might be a valid theory.
The last I checked on the ecodiesel forum (several years ago), they were seeing both bottom end (rods) and top end (valves/cam) oiling issues due to the design of the engine. They had debunked (at least when I last checked) the wrong oil theory. There really wasn't any rhyme or reason to the failures. Some people put 200K+ miles on them with no issues, and some people had them crap out with less than 10K miles on them. In the beginning, FCA wouldn't let owners or anyone else look at the failed engines. It wasn't until a few forum members tore their own failed engines down that they were able to discover what was exactly causing them to fail. There's a lot of information out there that isn't rooted in facts or first-hand knowledge, and of course leads to all kinds of wild guesses and assumptions.

EDIT: It's hard to reason why it is a design failure vs. quality control issue. Heck, it's probably a little of both.

Agree, it was most likely a combination of things but chiefly design. That's why the 3rd gen engine was marketed as "over 75% all-new design" which probably necessitated some new parts as well. The original oil required in the 2ng gen engines was a 5w30 and the band-aid solution FCA found once engines started grenading was to require 5w40 oils. In many owner manuals Rotella oil was specifically listed. Still, as mentioned, many saw no issues even using 5w30 oils and many had failures despite using the band-aid oils.

The 3rd gen engines have been holding up very well so far, even though they're only a few years old. I think probably not many folks wanted to roll the dice on these engines if they've had a previous bad experience, so the numbers aren't high enough in terms of volume to really get a feel for how reliable this engine will be long term. But from what I've read so far, the only issue is the CP4 HPFP which is being handled under recall (and affects more diesels than just FCA).

Other than that, the 3rd gen seems to be performing just fine. There are some intrepid owners out there that are experimenting with high-quality 5w30 oils, and there are dozens of UOAs being done to document the results. So far we are seeing some higher aluminum and silver numbers, along with fuel dilution with extended idling or past a certain number of miles during an OCI (usually 6-7k), on some engines. Some of these are also GDE tuned, which seems to induce more fuel dilution of the oil and slightly higher wear numbers, but again the engines themselves are all pretty low-mileage at this point. No catastrophic failures that I've read about from people running stock programming and the manufacturer-specified oils.

Back