Goodbye RAM EcoDiesel

I'm not arguing that this will go down in history as a great engine overall, but the overzealous hyperbole is unwarranted and unbalanced.

They are not good.....at all. I have been at my dealer for 13yrs. We have changed 1 6.7, and that was for an oil leak/porous block. We have probably replaced 30+ EcoBooms. That said, the newer ones have been fine, no replacements.......but we sold very few really.

They are not good.....at all. I have been at my dealer for 13yrs. We have changed 1 6.7, and that was for an oil leak/porous block. We have probably replaced 30+ EcoBooms. That said, the newer ones have been fine, no replacements.......but we sold very few really.
At all? Sorry, but mine was great, as were those of numerous friends. No one I know experienced a catastrophic failure though they certainly occurred at an unacceptable rate. Probably somewhat analogous to GM's AFM/DFM lifter failures ;-) Most owners don't have any problems. Like I've said before, forums like these attract a lot of attention from owners that aren't happy because it gives them an outlet to express those feelings. I don't blame them though.

At all? Sorry, but mine was great, as were those of numerous friends. No one I know experienced a catastrophic failure though they certainly occurred at an unacceptable rate. Probably somewhat analogous to GM's AFM/DFM lifter failures ;-) Most owners don't have any problems. Like I've said before, forums like these attract a lot of attention from owners that aren't happy because it gives them an outlet to express those feelings. I don't blame them though.

Alot of owners DO have issues and this isn't internet forum hype. I'm a Tech at a dealer. I fix em. I see it every day. We have swapped out more of these, than all other engines COMBINED. I'm glad you had good luck , but many many others didn't. I'll almost miss them in a way. They made me(and still are) alot of money. Now....I've got to get to work....first job up is new SCR/nox/particulate sensor/temp sensor on one! 😆 The guy is lucky he bought extended warr or this would be a 5k? repair.

Alot of owners DO have issues and this isn't internet forum hype. I'm a Tech at a dealer. I fix em. I see it every day. We have swapped out more of these, than all other engines COMBINED. I'm glad you had good luck , but many many others didn't. I'll almost miss them in a way. They made me(and still are) alot of money. Now....I've got to get to work....first job up is new SCR/nox/particulate sensor/temp sensor on one! 😆 The guy is lucky he bought extended warr or this would be a 5k? repair.

Now that's really an exhaust/emissions issue (SCR/nox/particulate sensor, etc) as opposed to an engine issue isn't it? ;) Didn't the 2007-2013 (?) Cummins have some very serious issues with the emissions system, too? Oops, there I go mixing metaphors again. In any case, I think we'd at least agree it's not going to have a place in the pantheon of great engines. Probably right up there with the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 😅

Sure its part of the aftertrearment system. But again....we change tons of these and rotted out flex joints.....issues that are rare on a Cummins. I don't remember last time I swapped a scr on a Cummins. The whole platform is junk. Thankfully the newest eco seems much better .

Basing the reliability record off of a sample size of 1 (or 10?) is probably not very accurate.

Basing the reliability record off of a sample size of 1 (or 10?) is probably not very accurate.
N=15-20 by my count (mostly comprised of friends and conversations with other local owners along with queries of my local dealer regarding their experience), hardly enough to argue any type of class experience in a statistically valid manner. I hope I didn't claim any kind of statistically valid accuracy. In this context, my comment is no more useful than virtually all (personal experience) posts on this board. Mia culpa. Pick your anecdote and go with it. ;)

I was merely reacting to the absolute statement made previously ("at all"). Absolute statements like this are virtually (ha!) never true and this one certainly isn't either. AFAIK, Chrysler never released failure rates for these engines, nor were any statistically valid surveys completed. There were some documents published which showed replacement shipments (over what period of time I don't remember) of Cummins and VM Motori and the VMM numbers were much higher (and probably on a smaller base). No surprise there, as the Cummins B series motor is considered to be one of the best small diesels ever produced.

FYI: The "sample" provided by someone who, by definition only sees problems, is, by definition, radically skewed and likely less valid than even a few somewhat scattered anecdotal observations.

Anyway, I've had my fun with this and would love it if someone could actually find some useful data on this - just for kicks :)

Not many companies or manufacturers are going to release a failure rate of a part unless it’s required.

There wasn’t much rhyme or reason on the engines failing. Much harder to tell a poor oil change diesel than a gas IMO.

So some just like gas definitely were due to poor maint.

Heck there are kias and Hyundais running around that probably aren’t an issue too

The main failure is , excess soot in oil from EGR. Push oil changes to the max spec limit, and the soot starts to plug/block oil passages.....Boom. Cut oil changes to half rec and it will probably live. When they started blowing up, we pushed hard to our customers to stick to 10k Klms max. 99% lived I would say. Most we engines we changed, were serviced elsewhere/run changes to max rec .....or more

It's a Fiat, dude. They always have the flashiest, shiniest, blingiest, newest whizbang features, on paper a Fiat is always the most amazing vehicle you can buy. But their best feature is that you are always shopping for a new Fiat, because you are waiting at the dealership for hours on end waiting for them to fix the last Fiat you bought!!

It's a great business model. Sell flashy junk to unsuspecting consumers. When flashy junk fails, make consumer drive back to dealer where even more flashy junk awaits, tempting their pocketbook while service techs try and usually fail to fix the last piece of flashy junk you sold them.

It's a great business model. Sell flashy junk to unsuspecting consumers. When flashy junk fails, make consumer drive back to dealer where even more flashy junk awaits, tempting their pocketbook while service techs try and usually fail to fix the last piece of flashy junk you sold them.
That's true of EVERY car make these days. GM FORD BMW MERCEDES NISSAN etc.

That's true of EVERY car make these days. GM FORD BMW MERCEDES NISSAN etc.
I dunno, I have a 2016 2500HD with a 6.0/6L90 and it's been perfect. Prior to that I had two Jeeps and spent a lot of time strolling the lot looking at Jeeps and RAMs ... really was not impressed. The Jeeps were fun but ultimately having the top down and driving back to the dealer in a really cool-looking rig got old, so I bought a Chevy and I don't have to go back to the dealer anymore.

I've heard too many horror stories about that engine. Guess Dodge realized it's time to stop production
I have a next door neighbor that has (or had??) one of those. Drove a Ford Ranger for more than 20 years, then (and there were no Rangers made at the time) got one of those trucks with those ecodiesel engine. It was nothing but trouble and he complained about it a lot. Last time I was a truck over there it was an older Ford.

From what I've read ram dealers kept on average between 12-14 long block eco diesel engines on hand. The number on hand says alot about frequency of major engine repairs or engines not lasting. From what I've seen Hyundai dealerships were keeping 25-30 on hand as they were replacing that many engines under warranty.

American car manufacturers seem to have real issues with small displacement diesel engines. Chevy had numerous issues with their 4 cylinder diesel powered Colorados. I think they were isuzu. Jeep tried the diesel engine gamecyears ago with the commander and Grand Cherokee. From talking with mechanics those were powered by VM Motori diesel engines and unfortunately there weren't many dealerships nor mechanics that could work on them.

From talking with mechanics those were powered by VM Motori diesel engines and unfortunately there weren't many dealerships nor mechanics that could work on them.
Had a Liberty with that engine and 287,000 miles, so they can't be too bad. But of course, I owned one so have first hand experience. 90% of the people that rag on a particular model or engine have never actually owned one.

55.JPG

Had a Liberty with that engine and 287,000 miles, so they can't be too bad. But of course, I owned one so have first hand experience. 90% of the people that rag on a particular model or engine have never actually owned one.

View attachment 184826
It seemed like their quality was hit or mis. I've seen a number with high mileage as well as engines that fell apart early on. The Isuzu diesel engines used in the Colorado were a disaster for some reason. My neighbor had one and it essentially from my understanding went into "limp mode" and was stuck that way with no available fix. The dealership bent over backwards to get her into a fully loaded Colorado with a huge discount.

It seemed like their quality was hit or mis. I've seen a number with high mileage as well as engines that fell apart early on. The Isuzu diesel engines used in the Colorado were a disaster for some reason. My neighbor had one and it essentially from my understanding went into "limp mode" and was stuck that way with no available fix. The dealership bent over backwards to get her into a fully loaded Colorado with a huge discount.

Anecodets is not data. The GM turbo is a pretty good engine and does not have the same reliabilty issues that have plagued the second gen ED.

As for "dealers kept on average between 12-14 long block eco diesel engines on hand" that's completely ludicrous. They don't just keep $10,000 longblocks on the shelf like jellybeans in a dispenser.

Back