2014 Ram 1500 Tradesman vs 2015 Ford F150 XL

2014 Ram 1500: 190k Miles
-Full Quad Cab 5.5' Bed
-4X4
-3.6L Pentastar V6 w/ 8SPD 845RE Tranny
-100% Rust Free, Mint all highway.
-All service records indicate it was highway only and in a good area with no salt.

2015 Ford F-150 XL: 139k Miles
-Extended Cab (cab and half) w/ 6' bed
-4X4
-3.5L NA Cyclone V6 with 6R80 6SPD Tranny
-Aluminum body is rust and ding free, frame has surface rust.
-All service record indicate it was all highway and was in an area that does use some salt.

Assuming proper maint was followed which is a better deal to keep long term. I know both have some issues as no brand is perfect, also keep in mind the ford is $3500 ~ 4k more than the ram. Are rams really that hated?

I know both have some issues as no brand is perfect, also keep in mind the ford is $3500 ~ 4k more than the ram. Are rams really that hated?
The Ford has significantly less miles, is a year newer, and if not mistaken, a new bodystyle. That in and of itself explains the price difference, not that there is any more or less hate for either one. And what's a Cyclone V6? I thought they had a 3.5 Ecoboost with the timing chain issues.

Ford calls the 3.5 / 3.7 engines the cyclone. This 3.5L is a natural aspirated with no turbo to fail. Timing compnonets are good as long as you do not have 10,000+ idle hours.

that generation of ram had some pretty serious safety recalls. that may be effecting the price some. personally i think the ram is a better deal though. you do a lot to an old truck with 4k in extra cash.

Condition would be my barometer; however, from your description, I'd say they were about equal.
I'd probably lean towards the Ford because of the mileage difference.
Another question would be if you have the need for the full quad cab.
If you do, you may want the Ram.

Tough call, both are nice trucks. Since you live in rustville the Ram makes sense, but your sig says Ford. I would sit in both and see which one appeals to you interior wise. The interior of the Ram is probably nicer. There are known issues with the Pentastar but they are all manageable and with that high mileage you found a proven engine.

Reactions: JTK
That is a tough call given the age/mileage of each. Either transmission could go at any time if they've not been serviced accordingly. Any signs of oil filter housing leakage on the pentastar? The other things to look at on the Ram are intermediate shaft play to the front pass side CV shaft. Also, the E-steering racks have been on eternal back order for Rams for years.

That said, I am a Ram 1500 classic fan, owned a 2017 in that exact configuration. but only owned it from ~12K miles to 70K.

Yep the old 03 F150 needs replaced due to body / chassis rot. Its a shame as the driveline has 200k and it still runs / shifts like new.

As for the ram yes there is some seeping on the oil filter adapter and it was replaced in 2018 with 89K on it.

Frame is still black / grey on the ram, and no rust bubbles anywhere. No ticking or roughness on the pentastar.

If the e-steering rack fails are there other options? This one steers perfect.

As for the ram yes there is some seeping on the oil filter adapter and it was replaced in 2018 with 89K on it.

Frame is still black / grey on the ram, and no rust bubbles anywhere. No ticking or roughness on the pentastar.

Last I knew there were a few options for the Ram E-steering rack where you ship them your dud and they ship you a remanufactured unit or repair and return yours.

These things tend to work right up until they set a code and will no longer work.

Rocker panels, cab corners and above the fender arches are the big rust areas for this generation Ram 1500. Look closely in those areas. Check for rusted rock chips just above the windshield glass as well.

You won't find a nicer riding and handling 1/2 ton than this generation Ram 1500 IMO. Very comfortable truck all the way around.

Reactions: GON
I'd look at:

Do you need 4 doors? The supercab can be a pain if that isn't what you really want or need. They work fine for our fleet trucks - typically only used for tools and such, not for moving people.

Check the idle hours on both (definitely easy to do on the F150, don't know on the ram). Our units like this (RWD, Supercab, base non-turbo V6 engines) get the idle hours run up on them. Thousands of hours worth... Make sure its just the mileage.

The 6r80 on the Ford is a solid performer. The miles would not scare me.

What would a ram with 50k less mile on it go for - easy to see where some of the price difference is.

I think you will get more life out of the ford because you are starting 50k miles ahead and the AL body should age better than the ram.

The curb weight of the ford is less so tires, brakes, etc should last longer.

Driveline wise, both have led easy lives. I don't expect anyone was towing/hauling with either truck being a base V6.

Full disclosure, I own a 2017 F150 and cross shopped ram at the time.

ram is 2048 idle ford is 1794 idle

I must have a extended cab (cab and a half) min, but the crew cab is even better.

Yep the old 03 F150 needs replaced due to body / chassis rot. Its a shame as the driveline has 200k and it still runs / shifts like new.

Yeah, those 2V 5.4 tritons can't be killed and you most likely have 8 thread spark plug holes on that motor. If so, you can sell those 8 thread plug hole heads to the supercharger/turbo guys for more money than a junk yard will scrap the truck for.

Yeah, those 2V 5.4 tritons can't be killed and you most likely have 8 thread spark plug holes on that motor. If so, you can sell those 8 thread plug hole heads to the supercharger/turbo guys for more money than a junk yard will scrap the truck for.
Funny you say that..........I had to do the plugs at 193k and they were.

Id do the Ford anyway because i'm a ford guy, but the crew vs extended cab is a bigger deal, i personally would rather have the more bed than cab, but your needs could differ.

My 07 Ram crew cab has the Hemi and is a Laramie. I own 2 Fords but I would never trade my Ram for a Ford. Ride is much nicer and quieter. I regularly haul 5 people in it with no complaints.

Funny you say that..........I had to do the plugs at 193k and they were.
They only made them halfway through 03 and then all of 04. I built a 2V 5.4 with a 2.9 Whipple on it and I searched for a long time to find a set of 8 thread heads.

ram is 2048 idle ford is 1794 idle

I must have a extended cab (cab and a half) min, but the crew cab is even better.

If the crew cab is a need, then I wouldn't think of the supercab... just my way of thinking. Of course that usually comes at a price in bed space.

In terms of idle hours, the Ford has accumulated idle hours at double the rate of my personal F150 that I believe has a "normal" amount of idle accumulation and the Dodge isn't too far off that. (For reference, non work F150 with 111,000 miles - idle hours 677.) We have work trucks with north of 4000 idle hours over 5ish years...

If the crew cab is a need, then I wouldn't think of the supercab... just my way of thinking. Of course that usually comes at a price in bed space.

In terms of idle hours, the Ford has accumulated idle hours at double the rate of my personal F150 that I believe has a "normal" amount of idle accumulation and the Dodge isn't too far off that. (For reference, non work F150 with 111,000 miles - idle hours 677.) We have work trucks with north of 4000 idle hours over 5ish year

I can use either a longer cab and a shorter bed, or a longer bed and shorter cab. My school of thought is the greasy chainsaws, fuel, and oil can ride in the bed, and all my tools etc and be in the cab. So for me it is never an issue either way. As long as the bed can fit an ATV or lawn tractor im good.

Oh.......and the dodge has factory cruise and single disc CD and no keyless entry, whereas the ford has keyless entry but is lacking a CD and cruise control. I can get it turned on if I replace the steering wheel.

Back