2014 Ram 1500 review...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't see the point in having a pickup truck with four doors and a little itty-bitty 3-foot bed in the back. What the heck for? You might as well be driving a four door Camry.

OK, I knew that M1 is made of iron on your planet, but I'm surprised to find out that 6.5=3 there too.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't see the point in having a pickup truck with four doors and a little itty-bitty 3-foot bed in the back. What the heck for? You might as well be driving a four door Camry.

OK, I knew that M1 is made of iron on your planet, but I'm surprised to find out that 6.5=3 there too.

You picked up on that, too! "3-foot bed?"

Where? Which model?

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
Well Hattar, now would be the time to pick up a 2014... you got your dodge test ride, take a trip to ford, toyota and nissan and get back to us with your reviews...
That would be a good Xmas present for us all...
The Ram Black express caught my eye... Does not look like fun to clean!
Also check out my Ford Harley edition in the classifieds for sale... Less than 10% the cost of a new truck... Shameless of me... I am sorry...

I'm shopping, still have the Ram today and probably all day tomorrow. I have a house I need to close and a condo site I need to finish, so once those are done I plan on buying one. If not this month probably next. They always run deals. For business reasons I'd rather take the write off next year.

Found a nice white SLT in NJ with the tool boxes on the side for $32k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
When a pickup works for a living it is a perfectly appropriate vehicle.

Our 14 Ram 5.7 averages 16-18 mpg in everyday driving with my leadfooted Wife driving it. After a few days the urge to flog the Hemi wears off and you can enjoy the economy and effortless pull of the engine without racing to the redline. My wife has gotten 20 when light footing it for mileage!

But I must admit it is the coolest drivetrain I have ever owned. Ours idles absolutely vibration free, nearly silent, and we own lots of pickups and NOTHING rides like the Ram...

Today after 150 miles my MPG average is 13.6.

PS. You think the CrewCab is quick, try the same powertrain in a RCSB 2wd with 3.92 LSD. When I'm an empty-nester (many years), that's the truck I hope to have again. By then, we may only have V6s or diesels as options.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
PS. You think the CrewCab is quick, try the same powertrain in a RCSB 2wd with 3.92 LSD. When I'm an empty-nester (many years), that's the truck I hope to have again. By then, we may only have V6s or diesels as options.

My 14 has the 3.9 rear posi and the 8 speed and is wonderfully quick off the line for a truck. Since it only has 2k miles I expect the mileage to improve also.

The big cab/short bed with the Ramboxes is kind of like a super duper Exploder Sport Trac. When you sit in the back seat there is like a foot of space between your knees and the front seat!

Ours has been very versatile. Hauled brush to the back 40 to burn, loaded Ramboxes with groceries, moved the boat around the property. Sort of like having a very large sedan with a lot more cargo options and towing...

Last edited:
Just added the RAM you described to my work fleet.

The Hemi is awesome.

Even with vinyl seats and flooring, the ride is almost luxurious.

I assigned it to a guy whose personal ride is a Chevy pick up and he's now ready for a RAM.

I saw some posts about concern (or no concern) over gas mileage. It's very important to me, as most of the time my truck isn't towing my boat, hauling stuff, etc. It's good to see the Ram is doing pretty decent for a truck. If my Chevy wears out, I'll def have the 3.6 8 speed (25 mph epa) on my list,

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Just added the RAM you described to my work fleet.

The Hemi is awesome.

Even with vinyl seats and flooring, the ride is almost luxurious.

I assigned it to a guy whose personal ride is a Chevy pick up and he's now ready for a RAM.

Yep, we have Silverados in our fleet for our business. They are wonderful trucks, but the new Ram is in a class by itself. The quality of the ride is amazing, even huge bumps simply do not shake a thing or move the truck at all. pretty nice suspension calibrations, eh?

I'm a total convert and I'm a GM/Ford fan.

I'm doing a dump run tomorrow with the Ram I'm interested in seeing what it actually scales.

Oh I found out my rental has a posi, I nailed it on a wet access road today and the rear end started to walk out...at 40. This is totally the bad boy of trucks. I don't want my Silverado back at all, I can't wait to get rid of it.

When I buy one the first thing I'll do is swap a set of MS2's on the thing, the stock Goodyears just don't hook up. Oh and snows I can only imagine how horrible it is in the snow. I guess you just leave it in 4wd to get any traction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I saw some posts about concern (or no concern) over gas mileage. It's very important to me, as most of the time my truck isn't towing my boat, hauling stuff, etc. It's good to see the Ram is doing pretty decent for a truck. If my Chevy wears out, I'll def have the 3.6 8 speed (25 mph epa) on my list,

Just put your foot into the Hemi and its worth it. I have a 4.3 now, its got like twice the power of the 4.3!

No, and I'm not sure.

4 low and 4 lock. No 4 high.

Not sure what 4 lock means? On my buddies G wagon it means three locked lockers and your not going anywhere on pavement.

The higher end models seem to have 4 auto which seems to be the setting to use. Let the computers figure it out on light snow days.

Last edited:
I like how Consumer Reports stated in their Pod-Cast...
The Silverado is a better truck! The RAM is a better car!
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mj4WLxt3k

Last edited:
4 auto would be nice in snow country. 4hi is great once there is enough snow that there is an inch on the ground everywhere--but I still feel binding when parking. You might want snows and weight down there, I think your road conditions change more rapidly than mine, slush in one mile bare/wet the next.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I like how Consumer Reports stated in their Pod-Cast...
The Silverado is a better truck! The RAM is a better car!
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mj4WLxt3k

The problem with the new Silverado is its ugly as sin. My 10 year old Silverado has a better looking grill.

Beauty is within the eye of the beerholder. I like my 2012 better, but the regular cab looks nice in the new body style. I just don't like the 40% domestic parts content.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Beauty is within the eye of the beerholder. I like my 2012 better, but the regular cab looks nice in the new body style. I just don't like the 40% domestic parts content.

The problem with new GM regular cabs is they axed all storage behind the seats. You have to buy a Ford, Ram, or Toyota to get a bit of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back