Just got a Chevy Colorado...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's much easier to barrel down a woods road in a Colorado sized truck than say a Z71.

Your comparsion still does not make a lot of sence since your power to weight ratio is so drastic. On top of that one engine design the 3.9 is an ancient design V6 derived from an and never made much power to start with. The 3.5 is a modern design I5 dervived from the 4.2 I6 and makes more power I belive then the 3.9 made. So the two vechiles being compared have drasticly different HP to weight ratio, different EPA classification, differnt transmission set ups more then likely ie 3,4,5, automatic v.s. manual, gross vechile weight rateing, actual ratio's final drive ratio etc..................

No one is faulting you likeing the Colarado just pointing out how bad the comparison is.

As to why people like a compact or midsized truck with a V6 that is a different ball of wax all together. Some people do not need the load capability of a full size and would rather be able to manuver through tighter spaces. Some people do get drasticaly different milage out of a V6. The V6 v.s. V8 debate has a lot of variables to it. Usualy gearing is to blame if a V6 does not get better milage then a V8. To fairly compare the two under your driveing conditions you would need to nearly identical vechile were the only difference was the engine. That almost never happens though usualy the rear gear ratio is different on most V6's as compared to V8's!

Most people that work their trucks hard though find that a V8 or diesel is the way to go. Runing a V8 at 50% of it's capacity is going to burn less gas in most cases then running a smaller V6 at 80%-100% of it's capacity. V6's seem to do best with people that mostly have a truck and drive it like a car on the HWY with very little heavy loads etc...

As to the Tundra being a 7/8 full size I do not think that is accurate the box and towing capacity and load capacity is right in the ball park for any other 1/2 ton with a small less then 5L V8. The cabin is a bit small by American standards but the newest design fix's that.Compared to GM 4.8 V8 the Tundra's 4.7 V8 is smoother, more refined and more powerful.

JB, take a deep breath. As I stated twice now, the reason I made the comparison was because I went from a ram to a colorado. If my previous work truck had been a Tonka, I'd still be making a comparison, whether it made sense or not.

^^^A lot of people can get by with a midsize p/u rather than a fullsize. The only reason why I bought my fullsize over the Dakota or other midsize/compact was the interior room. Now the Colorado is out, the legroom is about the same as the fullsize.

I just bought a new Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab. The truck is a compromise in that I needed a pickup and also wanted to replace my 10-year-old Mitsu Montero SUV with one vehicle. It has a 6-speed manual and a reasonably powerful V6. Only have a couple hundred miles on it and can't provide any mpg figures, but the window sticker says 17 to 22, and that's what I expect to get, although the recent mandatory introduction of ethanol into our fuel here may affect that. I wanted a light-duty truck my diminutive wife can drive, and it had to be able to turn into our difficult driveway, a hairpin left turn coming off a bridge with an armco scrape possible if you turn too sharply. It also had to fit into a garage and leave me room to walk by front and rear. It does all that. Only fly in the ointment is the version I bought does not come with skid plates, so I had to order those separately. Apparently if you're serious about going off-road you're supposed to buy up to the NISMO version, but it has an auto tranny and is loaded with bells and whistles I don't want.

I test drove an Isuzu i350, which is a rebadged Colorado/Canyon. Didn't like the auto transmission mainly, and it had drums at the rear. So I passed it up despite an attractive deal. Dismissed the Toyota Tacoma, although it is an excellent truck, since Toyota recommends premium fuel. Also passed up the Dodge Dakota as the V-6 stripper I looked at lacked ABS on the front wheels but had it at the rear. (I don't get it. When you put on the brakes, the weight of the vehicle transfers to the front, and that's where you need the ABS).

Anyway, the whole car-buying experience is like falling into a hog wallow with an ill-tempered sow--interesting, but you're gonna get dirty and maybe cut up some. It's best done infrequently.

So now I just have to figure out what kind of oil to use when it comes time to drain the factory fill. To keep the warranty valid I'll have to change at 6 months or 7500 miles. I expect it to be at 6 months with about 4000 miles, so I may actually use dino vice synthetic, which is my normal practice. Chevron Supreme 5W-30 is the likely candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back