- Aug 30, 2004
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition: 10,000 mile review
Yesterday, I crossed the 10,000 mile mark on my 2020 Ram 1500 DT. I was originally in the market for a Ridgeline but the price of the Ram was very attractive and the larger rear seat area is more family friendly. My primary use for the truck is moving larger items that do not fit in a sedan. I...
- Tailgate Cable had too much slack (TSB #23-025-20, 1k miles)
- Oil Cooler Leaking (6K miles)
- R/F Wheel Bearing Leaking Grease (6K miles)
- Poor A/C Performance, replaced HVAC Housing (TSB #24-001-20, 12K)
- Hood Latch Connector was not fully seated and came off (plugged back in myself)
- 48V Battery Pack Failure (23K miles)
- Water leak at Rear Sliding Window (TSB #23-016-21, 24k miles)
- Failed Belt Tensioner, noisy at cold start (25K miles, tensioner is available but the one-time use stretch belt is currently on backorder)
- Both Exhaust Manifolds cracked (TSB #09-011-20, 25K miles, one side is currently on backorder with no ETA)
Software updates for rough idle (TSB #18-022-21), back-up sensors and steering motor noise (TSB #08-137-21 REV B). Tailgate recall.
I will be out of the 3/36K warranty in June, but will have Maxcare Coverage until 6/2028 or 125K miles.
My overall thoughts on the truck are unchanged since the 10K mile review. For my purposes, it is comfortable and does the job. Considering the purchase price, Ram delivers a lot of feature content for the money. But the number of warranty repairs at low-mileage is a bit concerning and parts availability continues to be a struggle.