2020 Ram 1500 (DT) - 25,000 mile update

...... And potentially a really strong message to buy the extended warranty. Sounds like they got out of the "Lifetime warranty" business for a reason. Trucks are getting more expensive to fix. lol :)

I suppose, but best I can tell, all of this happened while he is still within the 3/36 and/or 5/60 warranty. At this rate, everything that was going to break, may already have before the $$$$ extended warranty kicks in. Wishful thinking :)

I suppose, but best I can tell, all of this happened while he is still within the 3/36 and/or 5/60 warranty. At this rate, everything that was going to break, may already have before the $$$$ extended warranty kicks in. Wishful thinking :)
You're probably right & most of the manufacturer's initial build quality errors should show up sooner rather than later. It's just funny when you say it out loud and lay it out the way you did. I summed it up to say "It should all get buttoned up in time but that may be wishful thinking". 🤣

Did you consider the thirsty dinosaur (aka Tundra) at the time?
In seven years and 66,000 miles, the thirsty dinosaur has needed…let’s see…ummm.

Nothing.

So far, I have changed the oil. Fluids. Put some tires on it.

The Ram was the best-driving of them all in 2016 when I was looking. The Silverado and F-150 were nice as well.

But I was OK with thirsty if it meant avoiding repairs. So far, so good.

How much is it to replace that silly 48v pack. All the extra ancillaries for the engine to make that mild hybrid nonsense work also must cost a thick penny to fix. At least you got the carmax warranty. Idve dumped it after the battery pack replacement without it.

How much is it to replace that silly 48v pack. All the extra ancillaries for the engine to make that mild hybrid nonsense work also must cost a thick penny to fix. At least you got the carmax warranty. Idve dumped it after the battery pack replacement without it.
Maxcare is a Mopar warranty, but it excludes the 48V pack. The pack is about $2k for the part alone.

In seven years and 66,000 miles, the thirsty dinosaur has needed…let’s see…ummm.

Nothing.

So far, I have changed the oil. Fluids. Put some tires on it.

The Ram was the best-driving of them all in 2016 when I was looking. The Silverado and F-150 were nice as well.

But I was OK with thirsty if it meant avoiding repairs. So far, so good.
@Astro14 - I bought a new Tundra a few years ago, with the express interest in buying an older but proven reliable truck. So far flawless through 40k miles.

I meant nothing negative. I really like mine.

@Astro14 - I bought a new Tundra a few years ago, with the express interest in buying an older but proven reliable truck. So far flawless through 40k miles.

I meant nothing negative. I really like mine.
Thirsty dinosaur is precisely what that truck is…

And I love it.

Glad I grabbed a Classic (DS) instead.

I do have a check engine light, but it’s an evap code that popped up after they replaced the gas tank due to a failed rollover valve in the tank…. And then I neglected to make use of the warranty that is now expired. 🤷🏻‍♂️

To be honest, not sure if the Tundra's mileage is as terrible as people make it out to be. My truck gets between 14-16 mpg depending on the length of my city trips and 20-22 on the hwy.
On the OEM tires, I was averaging 15.5 mpg in mixed driving during warm months. With my Discovery AT3s during the winter I get 12.5 mpg but I also remote start the truck every morning when it's cold.

On the OEM tires, I was averaging 15.5 mpg in mixed driving during warm months. With my Discovery AT3s during the winter I get 12.5 mpg but I also remote start the truck every morning when it's cold.
Also, the Ram recommends 89 for optimal performance. 5.7L HEMI only, not the other powertrains. And yes, there is a noticeable difference in driveability.

Tundra specs 87.

I’ve owned three Mopars.
The ‘66 Valiant was bulletproof.
The 2003 Ram was decent. I bought it new. It had the 4.7 V8 with regular cab, short bed, and 2wd. The doors started sagging after three years.
A 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT king cab, 2wd, and 4.7 V8. It was a piece of garbage. The paint job was horrible. The front suspension was horrible. It popped when turned to the limit in both directions.
When it rained steady, the passenger front floor board would get soaked. I traded it for the 2003 Ram. Gotta love the early Daimler ownership.

I don't know why anybody would buy anything. Jeep Chrysler ram everybody says how lousy they are

Back