2019 RAM 1500 Sport update - 75,000km

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Previous 60,000km post, approximately a year ago, can be found here:

Things have been pretty uneventful up until this past weekend.

Good:
- No service visits since the previous thread. Two HPL oil changes, both done by me.
- No squeaks or rattles
- Tailgate has been perfect since they adjusted it
- Still extremely impressed with the ride quality and comfort of the vehicle

Bad:
- Brakes are starting to pulse when applied at high speed. Front rotors are rotting from the inside out, TONS of pad material left, but I'm going to have to do a brake job. I'm a bit surprised at the poor corrosion resistance of the OE rotors.

- Infotainment apparently sometimes doesn't have audio. Screen works fine, reminds me very much of when the amp in my 2016 GC had a bad ground (nothing wrong with the amp). You can faintly hear the radio, but the selectors have no impact on the sound and you can't control the volume. This is fixed when you restart the vehicle. I've only had it happen to me once, which was the day before we left for vacation, but when I brought it up to my wife, she said it has happened to her a couple of times. Since it's out of warranty now, I'll be doing some checks myself to see if I can track down the cause.

- @The Critic cursed me with his exhaust manifold leak issue. We took the Jeep on vacation and when we came back, were informed by my eldest that the truck is "making an odd noise on startup". Neither he, nor my wife, could properly describe it. I cold started it yesterday, it's an exhaust leak, passenger side, stops after about 45 seconds or so, so I couldn't pin down exactly where it's coming from, as by the time I had slid under the vehicle and was trying to locate it, it stopped. Since it's out of warranty, this should be fun.

Looks like it's an updated part, and not expensive, but I expect the labour will be exciting.
Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 11.53.42 AM.png

In that vein:

I'm constantly surprised at how OEM's bugger up exhaust manifolds on trucks and SUV's. The F-series was notorious for them cracking and snapping studs, the DS RAM trucks would break the studs, the 4Runner would chew through manifolds and Toyota never released an updated part that addressed it...etc. You'd think that when they do a model update they'd address this, but apparently not 🤷‍♂️

Updated picture with her summer rubber on from last year:
1D48B426-94EC-4C86-94CF-63B63B4BEC4A_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm constantly surprised at how OEM's bugger up exhaust manifolds on trucks and SUV's. The F-series was notorious for them cracking and snapping studs, the DS RAM trucks would break the studs, the 4Runner would chew through manifolds and Toyota never released an updated part that addressed it...etc. You'd think that when they do a model update they'd address this, but apparently not 🤷‍♂️
You've forgotten about GM and their exhaust manifold bolts too :ROFLMAO:

You've forgotten about GM and their exhaust manifold bolts too :ROFLMAO:
Yeah they failed on my 05's 6.0 at about 230k but it was a slight tick at low speeds. But the engine itself is amazing. 334k in with all original metal inside and the OE head gaskets and it's still like new. Though it could use a flush. It's never had one and burns a quart every 3-4k. The head bolts haven't been an issue on my 03's 5.3 though.

The flaky screen on first run new body style Ram is pretty common, fix iirc is replacement.
The manifolds get allocated out to dealerships, might be one a week.
Front axles and front diff tend to be an issue after 100,000 kms.
If you plan on keeping a new body style Ram for a while, getting a longer Gold Plan warranty on these is a good idea imo.

I think I heard a startup exhaust leak on the 2020 ram the other day.
it vanished after about 25-30s..

Is this covered under powertrain or only bumper to bumper?

The flaky screen on first run new body style Ram is pretty common, fix iirc is replacement.
We have the 8.4" screen, which we selected because we were told they weren't flaky like the large one, lol
The manifolds get allocated out to dealerships, might be one a week.
Front axles and front diff tend to be an issue after 100,000 kms.
Oh, interesting, I'll have to ask about that. We've had the fluid changed once already. The diff and front axle (Ford 8.8") on our Expedition was bomb proof, all original when we got rid of it at well over 300,000km, so that's disappointing to hear.
If you plan on keeping a new body style Ram for a while, getting a longer Gold Plan warranty on these is a good idea imo.
We are out of warranty now, so I know if I go to add it back, it's more money and less feature rich than if I had opted for it when it was still covered.

We have the 8.4" screen, which we selected because we were told they weren't flaky like the large one, lol

Oh, interesting, I'll have to ask about that. We've had the fluid changed once already. The diff and front axle (Ford 8.8") on our Expedition was bomb proof, all original when we got rid of it at well over 300,000km, so that's disappointing to hear.

We are out of warranty now, so I know if I go to add it back, it's more money and less feature rich than if I had opted for it when it was still covered.
Tried using my built in Nav in the Jeep again on a 3 hour trip - that system can’t find a barn on a half acre farm … 👀
Back to Google maps via Apple Car Play … 👍

Last edited:
Tried using my built in Nav in the Jeep again on a 3 hour trip - that system can’t find a barn on a half acre farm … 👀
Back to Google maps via Apple Play … 👍
Yeah, we use CarPlay because it's always better, lol.

Reactions: 4WD

Seems like excessive play takes the axles and diff out, not maintence related. Almost like they're built a little too narrow for the application.

Well, (mostly) positive update:
- It's covered under warranty. Truck has 5 years of warranty, it's the Jeep that has 3
- As @The Critic noted, the part is on massive back order and they have no real ETA

So, we are in the queue to get the manifold replaced once they have stock.

Also, this manifold cracking issue is one of those unintended consequences, I was given the back story by the service manager:

As most people know, the DS trucks (and many other trucks from other manufacturers) had an issue with the studs breaking off. On the RAM's, this was due to the heat cycling of the manifold, which tended to try and twist/distort it, which in turn snapped the studs. So, in working to remedy this issue on the DT's, they installed what's essentially a spreader as part of the manifold to make the structure more rigid to prevent it from breaking the studs off. Well, it was more rigid alright, and this in turn resulted in the studs surviving and the manifold cracking instead, lol.

Well, (mostly) positive update:
- It's covered under warranty. Truck has 5 years of warranty, it's the Jeep that has 3
- As @The Critic noted, the part is on massive back order and they have no real ETA

So, we are in the queue to get the manifold replaced once they have stock.

Also, this manifold cracking issue is one of those unintended consequences, I was given the back story by the service manager:

As most people know, the DS trucks (and many other trucks from other manufacturers) had an issue with the studs breaking off. On the RAM's, this was due to the heat cycling of the manifold, which tended to try and twist/distort it, which in turn snapped the studs. So, in working to remedy this issue on the DT's, they installed what's essentially a spreader as part of the manifold to make the structure more rigid to prevent it from breaking the studs off. Well, it was more rigid alright, and this in turn resulted in the studs surviving and the manifold cracking instead, lol.
So install catted long tube headers and never mess with them again, got it!

Back