2020 Ram 1500 (DT) - 25,000 mile update

7EE453A9-F5E4-41C6-8ED8-6D22CCC66359.jpeg

Previous thread:

Warranty Repairs:
- Tailgate Cable had too much slack (TSB #23-025-20, 1k miles)
- Oil Cooler Leaking (6K miles)
- R/F Wheel Bearing Leaking Grease (6K miles)
- Poor A/C Performance, replaced HVAC Housing (TSB #24-001-20, 12K)
- Hood Latch Connector was not fully seated and came off (plugged back in myself)
- 48V Battery Pack Failure (23K miles)
- Water leak at Rear Sliding Window (TSB #23-016-21, 24k miles)
- Failed Belt Tensioner, noisy at cold start (25K miles, tensioner is available but the one-time use stretch belt is currently on backorder)
- Both Exhaust Manifolds cracked (TSB #09-011-20, 25K miles, one side is currently on backorder with no ETA)

Software updates for rough idle (TSB #18-022-21), back-up sensors and steering motor noise (TSB #08-137-21 REV B). Tailgate recall.

I will be out of the 3/36K warranty in June, but will have Maxcare Coverage until 6/2028 or 125K miles. :D

My overall thoughts on the truck are unchanged since the 10K mile review. For my purposes, it is comfortable and does the job. Considering the purchase price, Ram delivers a lot of feature content for the money. But the number of warranty repairs at low-mileage is a bit concerning and parts availability continues to be a struggle.

View attachment 145103

Previous thread:

Warranty Repairs:
- Tailgate Cable had too much slack (TSB #23-025-20, 1k miles)
- Oil Cooler Leaking (6K miles)
- R/F Wheel Bearing Leaking Grease (6K miles)
- Poor A/C Performance, replaced HVAC Housing (TSB #24-001-20, 12K)
- Hood Latch Connector was not fully seated and came off (plugged back in myself)
- 48V Battery Pack Failure (23K miles)
- Water leak at Rear Sliding Window (TSB #23-016-21, 24k miles)
- Failed Belt Tensioner, noisy at cold start (25K miles, tensioner is available but the one-time use stretch belt is currently on backorder)
- Both Exhaust Manifolds cracked (TSB #09-011-20, 25K miles, one side is currently on backorder with no ETA)

Software updates for rough idle (TSB #18-022-21), back-up sensors and steering motor noise (TSB #08-137-21 REV B). Tailgate recall.

I will be out of the 3/36K warranty in June, but will have Maxcare Coverage until 6/2028 or 125K miles. :D

My overall thoughts on the truck are unchanged since the 10K mile review. For my purposes, it is comfortable and does the job. Considering the purchase price, Ram delivers a lot of feature content for the money. But the number of warranty repairs at low-mileage is a bit concerning and parts availability continues to be a struggle.
Wow. That would have me stressed to the max since I need my truck for work. Do they supply a loaner vehicle that could be used on a muddy construction site carrying a heavy load around?

Wow. That would have me stressed to the max since I need my truck for work. Do they supply a loaner vehicle that could be used on a muddy construction site carrying a heavy load around?
Due to inventory shortage, no loaners are available.

You have had a lot of issues in a very small amount of miles.

I didn't realize you had (or have?) cracked exhaust manifolds. I had forgotten if we discussed this, but do the manifolds on you DT have the tie-bars between the bolts and the manifolds? My 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi did. No cracks/leaks when I traded it in at just over 60K miles.

Another thing that scared me on Ram 1500s was the E-power steering rack. They've been on national back order for years now. Very rare to find one new. Not sure if the 5th gens share the same E-rack as the 4th's do, but it's a concern.

I didn't realize you had (or have?) cracked exhaust manifolds. I had forgotten if we discussed this, but do the manifolds on you DT have the tie-bars between the bolts and the manifolds? My 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi did. No cracks/leaks when I traded it in at just over 60K miles.
For at least a year, I have heard a light clatter/tick when the engine was cold, but the noise fully went away once warmed up. I always thought it was "normal HEMI noise," but I recently started smelling a slight exhaust odor as well. That's when I had the dealer look into it.

Did you consider the thirsty dinosaur (aka Tundra) at the time?
Yes, but the Ram was $10k cheaper.

Good thing you have the extra warranty.
Hoping I won't have to use it since I bought the one with the money-back option, but that is probably wishful thinking.

Due to inventory shortage, no loaners are available.
Yeah that's what I figured. In the summer, I used my 84 Cutlass for work twice...but people on site probably thought I was out of my mind. And I got a screw in a tire one of those two times.
I wish I could afford a beater backup truck.

Oh boy, I've had my 2021 Ram 1500 for a few weeks. That list is a little disconcerting. Hope that 48V battery failure was bad luck, I'm at 23K miles now!

Well, this isn’t gonna look good on a résumé. I guess I’ve been quite fortunate in so much that I haven’t had any legitimate failures in six years and 63K. 🙏

Oh boy, I've had my 2021 Ram 1500 for a few weeks. That list is a little disconcerting. Hope that 48V battery failure was bad luck, I'm at 23K miles now!
48V failure was an odd one, but keep your eye out for the rear window leak. I check the frame for cracks every week. If it leaks and is not caught early enough, it will fry the RF hub.

48V failure was an odd one, but keep your eye out for the rear window leak. I check the frame for cracks every week. If it leaks and is not caught early enough, it will fry the RF hub.
I don't have a sliding rear window, but I'll keep an eye out for leaks. Since the battery is back there, is it possible the leak damaged the battery?

Wow! Makes me appreciate my 2018 ram. Had my 3rd brake light leak at 35,980 miles (waranteed just in time) then at 60k it leaked again and i fixed it for good with rv marine weather stripping. And at 65k i did the driver rear brake pad and rotor. At 90k i did both side front pads as they were getting thin and at 99,920 miles i had to do the passenger rear pads and rotor. I was hoping for 100k out of them pads but not quite

I don't have a sliding rear window, but I'll keep an eye out for leaks. Since the battery is back there, is it possible the leak damaged the battery?
Window was still fine when the 48V Battery failed. To clarify, it needed the 48V Battery ECU, but the battery and ECU are one unit. It was also a repair that required engineering review, so it took some time.

All of this is good wealth of information that you're sharing here with us & can help understand what the real world looks like after the truck rolls off the lot. And potentially a really strong message to buy the extended warranty. Sounds like they got out of the "Lifetime warranty" business for a reason. Trucks are getting more expensive to fix. lol :)

Back