New Truck buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't compare a Camry to a toyota tacoma. The toyota tacoma is bullet proof.

No GM's twin turbo charged engine won't last 50,000 miles much less than 150,000

There is not much made in USA in GM anymore anyways

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00

No GM's twin turbo charged engine won't last 50,000 miles much less than 150,000

There is not much made in USA in GM anymore anyways

GM has a turbo mill now? News to me. Or are you just blowing smoke and hate again?

Tacoma has its own issues, but for some reason only a few Toyota mills had oil issues. Albeit all around the same time. Its like all of them copied the same mistake in the design.

I use a truck pretty much exactly the way you stated you would be using yours. My kids are 16 and 12. Most of my hauling has to do with home owning (yard debris has filled the bed a couple of times this season) and moving parts for my car hobby. I've towed a stuffed-to-the-roof 5x8' enclosed U-Haul with it easily. Not even the Ram 1500 with the 3.0 diesel matches my fuel economy (see fuel economy reality at http://www.fuelly.com/ ) and it was less than $20,000 new out the door. It was built in Mississippi. Yes, I have painted steel wheels, crank-up windows and cloth seats. I don't have an ego that requires stroking with a navigation system or 300+ hp. I may not be keeping up with the Jones', but I'm happy to trade appearances for a couple weeks in Costa Rica ever year.

If you aren't tied to fullsize, the Colorado is worth looking at. I know you have had bad experiences with 'yota, and it's hard to know if that's a vehicle or dealer issue. I can certainly see being turned off because there's no good dealer support. I will say that our Tundra has "towed heavy" it's whole life, as the previous owner also used it for towing larger trailers (evidenced by electric brake controller and solid evidence of receiver hitch use), and at 135,000, it still requires no oil top-offs during double the factory oil use interval. I'm not that warm on newer tundras; the styling inside and out, and excessive (****) "features" is wasteful to me. But the taco, in four doors, is the tried-and-true, dyed-in-the-wool, last-a-lifetime and bulletproof truck. The colorado is stepping up to compete and I think that GM has a strong player there, especially if you are interested in having the diesel. The new one reviews Great!

Toyota used to be a mark of quality. They're living on their past reputation. I really don't think their products are any better than the offerings of their competitors. My dad's camry burns oil like a furnace and rattles and creaks like an old GM J-body. I'm sure the Tundras are nice, but will be out of my price range anyway.

Also, I'm not really not interested in a small truck.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Also, I'm not really not interested in a small truck.

There aren't any new small trucks for sale. The Tacoma, Frontier and Colorado/Canyon are all mid sized. My truck is 126" wheelbase. The regular cab 6.5' box F150 is shorter at 122.4", but the Super Cab with the 6.5' bed is 145" WB. How much are you willing to spend to meet your desires?

Ok forget any new GM or Ford engine lasting......

Hundreds of thousands will survive just fine to spite your opinion. Live with it, and be happier everyday instead of a grumpy old butt gas duster.

Last edited:
Ok since you turned nasty I will too.

Take your new GM and Ford engines and ...........

I spent 6 months in arbitration so I SHOULD KNOW!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Ok forget any new GM or Ford engine lasting......

Hundreds of thousands will survive just fine to spite your opinion. Live with it, and be happier everyday instead of a grumpy old butt gas duster.

I spent 6 months in arbitration so I SHOULD KNOW!

As you have professed time and time again, shouting from the highest mountain. Move along with life, or continue to be angry and mad at things that matter little in the short and long term.

Or did you have something meaningful to contribute to this thread? Then by all means, lets hear it.

Do you have something meaningful to contribute to this thread? YOU started name calling first...

Keep your head in the sand just like the manufacturers want you to.

Last edited:
Having owned or had a close family member own a: Titan, Ram, F150, Silverado in various trim levels, engine options, etc... I can say with 100% confidence that you should drive the ones you are interested in and pick with confidence. They are all reliable, capable, and functional. Just pick whatever flavor you like most.

That said, don't let the anecdotal crazies pull you down.

Now I am crazy because I don't believe car manufacturers are infallible?

Your are crazy to believe they are....

This will be the only time I engage with you in this thread.

You are crazy to think every Ford and GM engine is going to be a piece of junk. Nobody said any brand was infallible. You are the only person making absurd absolute statements in this thread.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Having owned or had a close family member own a: Titan, Ram, F150, Silverado in various trim levels, engine options, etc... I can say with 100% confidence that you should drive the ones you are interested in and pick with confidence. They are all reliable, capable, and functional. Just pick whatever flavor you like most.

That said, don't let the anecdotal crazies pull you down.

Absolutely. Drive the big 3 and report back.

Note that we chose Ram due to the ability to get the options individually instead of only in packages. This allowed us to get exactly the truck we wanted. Ram is really dealing on them!

I have owned literally dozens of GM trucks and never had but one with any significant problems. So, exactly as before, don't let the naysayers scare you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back