NEW Toyota Tundra - 381hp 401lbs of tq

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=119089#4

Looks nice! Toyota is taking over the world!!
grin.gif

Quote:

It all boils down to class-leading output, some 381 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and a whopping 401 pound-feet at 3,600 revs. And it does it all on 87 octane while meeting ULEV II emissions. For reference, Dodge's 5.7-liter Hemi produces just 345 hp, while GM's Vortec Max 6.0-liter V8 makes 367 hp. The Dodge and GM V8s both develop 375 lb-ft of torque. Nissan's 5.6-liter V8 makes only 317 hp and 385 lb-ft of torque.

Quote:

Unleashing this powertrain down the drag strip, we recorded a stunning 0-60-mph time of 6.3 seconds, while the quarter-mile came up in 14.8 seconds at 93.7 mph. Our best efforts came with the traction control switched off, a move that activates Auto limited-slip differential, a brake-based, electronic-limited-slip function. Mind you, this is a Double Cab 4x4 truck that weighs 5,637 pounds.

EPA 16/21 as well.

shocked.gif

5.7L and 4 Valves/cylinder says it all. I wonder what the North American response will be, more displacement or 4 valves/cyl. Ford will definately need to come up from 5.4L but I think 3V doesnt hurt them.

Yep, they just unveiled it today right up the road near Evansville. I drive right by the plant almost every day. I guess Darrell Waltrip was here for the big show...fwiw.

I was at the Toyota Dealership today and they were talking in hushed wisper of 381HP and over 440foot pounds of torque. We will have to see what we see.

What I really like is that the reciever/hitch is intergrated into the fram rails!! Can you say strong! No offical hard number for towing other then 10,000 lbs or more. How much more is any ones guess!

If the 5.7 is anything like the 4.7 it will be another winner for Toyota. Toyota knows they must take a large piece of the truck pie in the US to be #1. How much longer can GM ignore trucks like this before they get real? The 3/4 and 1 ton diesels are coming next... The engines are ready and they are baddd.
tombstone.gif

Wow
32V 4 Cams VVT and Intake
6 Speed Auto
4 piston brake calipers
Stability control and sensors galore
Can you say expensive, yes those are great numbers everywhere but are they pricing themselves into the 3/4 Ton diesel market? What are these things going to cost?

There must be something wrong with the new Tundra. It was not included in the voting for North American Truck of the Year, that the new Chevy won. Maybe the selections are made in Detroit and they do not consider any pickup that Toyota makes worth voting for. Maybe the big-wigs in Detroit know that only an American company can make a full-size pickup, so why include the Toytoa. Could it be that they know it can't be tough enough. Maybe when Toyota grows up they might some day compete with real truck companies...lol.

It's going to take a lot to change brand loyalties in the full size pick up market and it ain't gonna happen overnight...and Toyota knows it. In any case, we've been hearing for years from the automotive media "Here comes Toyota, look out Detroit!" and what have they given us. The T-100. A few years later, "Look out Detroit, here comes Toyota!"....the first Tundra. A couple of years ago, "Look out Detroit, Here comes Nissan!"......zzzzzzzzzz, way short of Nissan projections.
While the imports are getting closer, they still are not there yet. Some day? Sure. And dont believe any internet misinformation about their diesel programs. Both Toyota and Nissan continually push them back. Nissan decided they didn't have enough "truck" to step into the HD/diesel arena and have to wait until the next incarnation and Toyota is still courting partners to play with.
What Detroit has to fear is loyal guys like me who want to buy a new truck, and Detroit not making what we want, just what focus groups tell them what they need to produce!
Toyota wasnt included in the truck of they year due to timing of the "contest", nothing at all to do with the truck.
Last word from me, I saw a "454SS" version of the new Toyota truck at SEMA and it was mean looking and pretty cool. Maaybe Detroit should look out!

I don't think that I have ever met an unhappy Tundra owner? The units being sold by Toyo, Nissan, and Honda probably are not being purchased by all first time truck buyers. So those are largely ex big 3 owners.

In the last 2 years I have driven trucks from the big 3. IMHO, they are not on par with the import trucks from a driving perspective.

I am not sure where the previous poster gets his information about pushing back the diesel programs. I belong to a Titan forum and people that work (and belong to the forum)in the CAnton MS plant are saying it is going to happen.

FWIW, I do think GM is going in a good direction, finally.

Of course this is just my opinion. I would challenge the die hard domestic guys to test drive the import trucks so they can see just how inferior they are. I'm not flaming here. It was a painfull transition for me as well.

12glocks, you are correct, the Titan oil burners are going to happen, just not with this series vehicle. It has to wait for the next go round. I get my information from two sources. One, I sell products to all the major OEM automotive companies, and two, from Automotive News, which is the weekly trade(not consumer) publication for the automotive industry. I rarely quote anything I hear from an internet forum or consumer magazine.

12 glocks. Not saying the Tundra or a Titan is a bad truck. They are good trucks with their own qualities. Still, while there are probably quite a few bought by ex-domestic owners, most of the recorded trade ins for these trucks are bought by existing Toyota/Nissan owners who are buying a truck. Toyota (pre T-100) saw that many of their customers were buying a domestic full size and wanted to offer them something to stay in the Toyota family. Fast forward to the current, Toyota sells about 120,000 Tundras a year. With the new truck they are shooting for 200 to 250,000. Thats a pretty ambitious goal in the truck market. Can they do it? Past history says they can but they do know it wont happen tomorrow.
Guys, I make money for every import sold, I'm not against them succeeding, just stating my opinion mixed with a little bit of facts as I get them!

Quote:

There must be something wrong with the new Tundra. It was not included in the voting for North American Truck of the Year, that the new Chevy won. Maybe the selections are made in Detroit and they do not consider any pickup that Toyota makes worth voting for. Maybe the big-wigs in Detroit know that only an American company can make a full-size pickup, so why include the Toytoa. Could it be that they know it can't be tough enough. Maybe when Toyota grows up they might some day compete with real truck companies...lol.

It didn't make the cut-off of being available by January 1. Motor Trend specifically stated that at the beginning of the article.

I would buy one if they still were not so cheap looking inside. My buddies 2001 Tacoma is a joke inside. The interior is terrible and looks incredably cheap. Thats what has turned me off with Toyotas. If this has changed, I would love to look at them.

Sweet.

They need to put that bad boy in something other than an appliance vehicle.

The GM powertrain LS2 is 400 HP, BTW, with a simple cam in block design, but it does spec premium fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back