New Toyota Land Cruiser Debuts with 409-HP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6

What will really bake your noodle is that the average yearly cost of vehicle maintenance and repair is going up. Parts costs are up, labor costs are up, engine replacement costs are up.

No matter how much you want to pretend otherwise, as vehicle engines and trannys get more complex, more money is being spent to repair them.

The question is not are modern engines more reliable than 30 years ago, it's whether their reliablity:cost ratio of these complex engines is any better than more recent, simpler engine designs where reliability ALSO went up.

It is ridiculous to mention the 2.7L EB. If they all fail consistently at 10 years old it will be considered a bad engine, far far below average and yet there as of yet, no evidence this won't happen. All engines look good until they start to fail, lol.

The fact is you have no evidence they are lasting longer. These newer complex designs have not even gotten to the average age of vehicles on the road yet, so it is absurd to pretend you know the future with a crystal ball. It is far far more likely that they will depreciate based on age like vehicles always have in the past, then they get down to that sub-$4K value and suddenly replacing the engine or tranny + other recurring high priced repairs, gets too close to whole vehicle value and the vehicle gets scrapped.

Mark my words, a Land Cruiser bought today will not retain same value (% of purchase price) as the last generation, within its otherwise viable lifespan. You can pretend otherwise but you'll pay the difference and the data on vehicle repairs proves the expense is going up with complexity.

What are you even trying to say? IHS lifecycle Studies provide plenty of evidence. Peruse one. Now it’s not that vehicles are lasting longer it’s that they are more expensive to repair? Quit moving goalposts. Enjoy your carbed SBC.

^ Same thing. If you want the more complex vehicle with more failure points to last as long, it costs more to get to that point. We already have data that it's costing more but not enough yet to see the long term failure rate, but historically we have always seen a trend that it goes up as they age, not down.

Well, we could go back to simpler times.

Engines that required scheduled tuneups.

Hand crank windows that were either hard to operate or didn’t crank at all.

Windshields that leaked. Also rear windows.

Trunks that leaked.

Doors that required one to lift up on the handle to open and close as the door hinges had sagged.

Hard steering wheels that caused frontal skull fractures in a collision.

Seats with springs that would poke up and bite you.

10 mpg.

And so many more.

What will really bake your noodle is that the average yearly cost of vehicle maintenance and repair is going up. Parts costs are up, labor costs are up, engine replacement costs are up.

No matter how much you want to pretend otherwise, as vehicle engines and trannys get more complex, more money is being spent to repair them.

The question is not are modern engines more reliable than 30 years ago, it's whether their reliablity:cost ratio of these complex engines is any better than more recent, simpler engine designs where reliability ALSO went up.

It is ridiculous to mention the 2.7L EB. If they all fail consistently at 10 years old it will be considered a bad engine, far far below average and yet there as of yet, no evidence this won't happen. All engines look good until they start to fail, lol.

The fact is you have no evidence they are lasting longer. These newer complex designs have not even gotten to the average age of vehicles on the road yet, so it is absurd to pretend you know the future with a crystal ball. It is far far more likely that they will depreciate based on age like vehicles always have in the past, then they get down to that sub-$4K value and suddenly replacing the engine or tranny + other recurring high priced repairs, gets too close to whole vehicle value and the vehicle gets scrapped.

Mark my words, a Land Cruiser bought today will not retain same value (% of purchase price) as the last generation, within its otherwise viable lifespan. You can pretend otherwise but you'll pay the difference and the data on vehicle repairs proves the expense is going up with complexity.

Oh so you mean I will actually be able to afford a 10 year old one with 200k miles? Good.

That I’ll agree 100% on. One drive with one was enough to make me never consider owning a vehicle with one, I’ll take the supremely rubber band feeling Jatco CVT that was in my Caliber over a ZF9.
That is what I was referring to. However in my area there are a quite a bit of issues with the 8spd in GM pickups. My dad traded his after less than 2 years and around 15k when the 10spd came out. He normally keeps vehicles for at least 5 years or more. They did the fluid swap, very little improvement, did a software update, a little better but still jerky and would flare at times, they replaced it and it stopped flaring but was still jerky during shifts. My uncle had a similar issue. Both trucks never towed anything over 2500lbs or had much for payload. I grew up in a GM family where I am the outcast for driving a non GM vehicle, yet I'm in the shop the least.

The 10spd transmissions to my knowledge has been pretty much bulletproof. All of them I've ridden in have felt great and there are 10 sec cars running on it with no issues and nothing more than a tune, no internal changes.

Fairly irrelevant example, even GM Caprice Taxis make it to a million miles.

Doubly irrelevant when you don't take into account the taxi ecosystem. A typical taxi business has its own garage or tight relationship with one where vehicles are constantly being maintained and repaired. They are NOT magically running half a million miles or more with nothing done, which comes back to the core issue of how much it will cost an owner to get there. It's a far cry different when an individual ends up shelling out $1K every time they go to a shop for what used to cost $100 DIY, and doing so more often because the more complex design has more parts that will, necessarily, wear out.
Well, my fleet of vehicles i have for joint business with my brother there sees everyday speeds upward of 100mph, something 99% of V8’s in the US don’t see, and they are all turbo 4cyl, diesel, gasoline and CNG. And they all racking up 70-100k a year.

i agree although i still give toyota the pass since the 4.6 and 5.7 are dohc vvt engines and are pretty complex compared to the ohv's in my newest truck yet is still much more reliable. I don't like turbos as that's another bs thing to go wrong but i have faith in Toyota making them live 150k or more until they go. took Toyota this long to adopt turbos i doubt they're gonna be crap like in turbo GM, ford and German products.
You do know that there are only a handful of turbo manufacturers in the market? Mitsubishi and Borg Warner are the big two.

Iirc I've ccasionally seen Garrett turbo but more often supercharger used by an automaker. Never seen the others outside aftermarket. IMO..Mitsubishi seems to be preferred by automakers for turbos.
IHI makes turbos for VW, Holset for Cummins, Garrett makes a lot of the VNT turbos for TDI, Porsche, etc.

Iirc I've ccasionally seen Garrett turbo but more often supercharger used by an automaker. Never seen the others outside aftermarket. IMO..Mitsubishi seems to be preferred by automakers for turbos.
garett doesn’t make superchargers. eaton and IHI do

garett airresearch and KKK were the first on the turbo scene

I think a large chunk of the ecoboost turbos are Garrett. All the transverse 3.5’s are and I think some of the 4 cylinders are as well.

most small diesels(3.0 or less) are Garrett VNT’s to my knowledge.

The TT engine wouldn’t worry me much for this. As no Toyota is really a 3/4-1ton type truck, their use towing max loads up long inclines for long durations routinely just isn’t the norm. Nobody is going to mistake a Toyota gas engine for a 7.3L Ford.

So using the TT for Max power density and economy potential seems prudent.

What I’m not a fan of is looks. The headlights too small, rear end too big, just looks off.

The land cruiser of the late 90s was as good as it gets.

Back