New Toyota Land Cruiser Debuts with 409-HP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6

Thanks BITOG for that one guy that waxes nostalgic for the days of carburetor!!

said the guy thats never owned a 500HP small block.

make it two guys.....

I'm still waiting for one of these turbo 6 mills to make what I can slap together in my garage with carb.

Ive owned both new and old for a long time and the basic carb mill was more durable easier to repair and most of all cheaper to own while making as much or more power.

I own both and for any kind of device where I can build my own the next ones going to be a carbed small block

said the guy thats never owned a 500HP small block.

make it two guys.....

I'm still waiting for one of these turbo 6 mills to make what I can slap together in my garage with carb.
Said the guy that's only thinking about himself and not his mother, daughter, wife or girlfriend that just wants the thing to start on every cold morning and just get them to work. And oh, by the way, get some kind of decent gas mileage.

Yeesh!
The market certainly disagrees with you or they'd have a large selection of late model 500-hp carbed small blocks at the local Chevy dealer.
The world does not turn on tinkerers in their garages.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Now the ZF 8spd...that was a disaster in everything it went into.
Uh… what? The ZF8 is very widely regarded as one of the best automatics ever, albeit some manufacturers have better tuning than others. It’s also been around for over a decade at this point…. If it was truly a disaster I’d think we’d see various forums and Facebook posts littered with how much of a “disaster” it was.

Uh… what? The ZF8 is very widely regarded as one of the best automatics ever, albeit some manufacturers have better tuning than others. It’s also been around for over a decade at this point…. If it was truly a disaster I’d think we’d see various forums and Facebook posts littered with how much of a “disaster” it was.
I'm guessing he is talking about the transverse ZF9 speed - that was a hunk of crap in every Jeep/Chrysler it went into and why Honda decided to use it after knowing all the complaints is beyond me.

I'm guessing he is talking about the transverse ZF9 speed - that was a hunk of crap in every Jeep/Chrysler it went into and why Honda decided to use it after knowing all the complaints is beyond me.
That I’ll agree 100% on. One drive with one was enough to make me never consider owning a vehicle with one, I’ll take the supremely rubber band feeling Jatco CVT that was in my Caliber over a ZF9.

Yeesh!
The market certainly disagrees with you or they'd have a large selection of late model 500-hp carbed small blocks at the local Chevy dealer.
The world does not turn on tinkerers in their garages.
I thought dealers could order all the carb’d small blocks they want—they just can’t install them into any new cars, or old cars newer than a certain age, due to meeting emissions requirements. AFAIK there is no law mandating EFI—it’s just that it’s impossible to meet evaporative emissions, cold start emissions, running emissions and have a hope of meeting CAFE otherwise.

I thought dealers could order all the carb’d small blocks they want—they just can’t install them into any new cars, or old cars newer than a certain age, due to meeting emissions requirements. AFAIK there is no law mandating EFI—it’s just that it’s impossible to meet evaporative emissions, cold start emissions, running emissions and have a hope of meeting CAFE otherwise.
So then, per my previous post, you and I completely agree.

These will look very good in the pickup line at the local private/boarding schools with people at the helm that have never ever in their lives put a vehicle into 4-LO.
...but those buyers keep a lot of folks employed.

Funny, our Daughter graduated today from a boarding school and my Wife and I were commenting at the line of RR's, Q5/7's, MB GLx's, Surburbans each with one or two kids max and gleaming like they never left the showroom.. That said, between school, sports and hobbies a big suv does come in handy.

Turbos aren't what they once were; 'new' tech hung on highly strung motors that weren't necessarily designed to cope, fed oil only and needing cool down periods or they would coke (even some w/ water cooling), etc. Actually, that was a while ago.. I'd have no qualms about any current vehicle with a turbo or two, the old schooler in me probably would not go the full OCI and I would only use top shelf oil, but that's just me anyway.

I actually like the new Cruiser, it will be on the list in a few years. Admittedly, she would be a mostly grocery getter/Chelsea Tractor (as the Brits say), but a nice one.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised at some of these comments.

When has Toyota come out with a total flop of an engine? None to my knowledge, at least not modern day. If they are willing to put the engine in a their flagship Lexus before putting in the Tundra (land cruiser or LX), then they are obviously very confident in it and consumers should be too. Toyota doesn't put an engine into $100k+ Lexus's without thoroughly making sure its up to the task.

Who ever said Toyota doesn't have experience with turbos too? 3 icons from the 90's were turbo Toyotas that were pretty dang reliable and took a beating! MR2 turbo, Celica GT4/Alltrac and of course the Supra. Compare the reliability to other manufactures turbo cars of the era....

Ford really had no modern cars with turbos outside of the late 80's SVO's and then BAM!! Ecoboost every model! Look how all their ecoboosts are doing. I really haven't seen any common failures with them at all outside of customer neglect. Nobody here seems to be bashing them, I wasn't on this forum when Ford started rolling out the Ecoboost engines, but I could only imagine what some of the members were saying.

I think this engine is going to be great, especially coupled with the 10spd. It's not like it's shifting through all 10 gears all the time when accelerating, it may only use 5 gears from a stop 70mph. But it's really nice towing and going up grades with a heavy payload. The 10spd (at least in Ford) almost acts like a CVT, which is a compliment. It has so many gear choices that it's never overstressing the engine so it's still smooth down the road. Now the ZF 8spd...that was a disaster in everything it went into.
This is my mentality too. I think Toyota can do this right. The 3.5L ecoboost had its issues, but they could have easily been navigated around.

if toyota crosses their “t’s” and dots their “i’s” i think it will be awesome.

oh and i am extremely glad to see the motor has a mechanical fan in the LC. Thats promsing that it will have a stout cooling system.

Toyota usually sits back and waits then adopts late. Isn't that their general approach?

When in doubt....take out the Land Cruiser.

78A023D0-6F98-41D2-BE0A-9E7EC04A7E47.jpg

Toyota usually sits back and waits then adopts late. Isn't that their general approach?
Yep… and for as much crap as I give Toyota for pumping out appliances, I can’t fault them for the way they design their stuff. Let everyone else get it out to market first, see what’s working and what’s a spectacular failure, pick the best of what’s working, refine it further, and release your own version of it. Apple does the same thing and it works phenomenally.

Yep… and for as much crap as I give Toyota for pumping out appliances, I can’t fault them for the way they design their stuff. Let everyone else get it out to market first, see what’s working and what’s a spectacular failure, pick the best of what’s working, refine it further, and release your own version of it. Apple does the same thing and it works phenomenally.
Like that pushrod engine for NASCAR ?

Dave9 needs to tell all those European taxis with turbos that their engines died like 300k ago. They live in alternative universe thinking their engine is ok, but that is only bcs. they didn’t visit BITOG.
They will be truly disappointed once they discover this website that all this time they were driving dead engine.
Fairly irrelevant example, even GM Caprice Taxis make it to a million miles.

Doubly irrelevant when you don't take into account the taxi ecosystem. A typical taxi business has its own garage or tight relationship with one where vehicles are constantly being maintained and repaired. They are NOT magically running half a million miles or more with nothing done, which comes back to the core issue of how much it will cost an owner to get there. It's a far cry different when an individual ends up shelling out $1K every time they go to a shop for what used to cost $100 DIY, and doing so more often because the more complex design has more parts that will, necessarily, wear out.

Have they demonstrated themselves to be more problematic? I’d love to see evidence of that. The Coyote is on Gen3 and the 2nd gen was a cock up. The 8-speed ZF in the ram is in Everything and might just be the best transmission around. what about more gears makes it bad?

The 2.7 has a great track record thus far, and revisions to engine design are exceptionally common amongst ALL engine types And manufacturers. What about it do you think makes it more expensive to repair? A turbo? Have you ever looked inside a modern DOHC engine timing cover? Those “simple” V8’s aren’t very simple. long chains, VVT intake/exhaust, etc. lots of scary stuff to go wrong. Even modern pushrods from GM have cylinder deactivation etc.

what will really bake your noodle is that when you look at reliability overall of modern engine design, it’s EON’s better than the “simple, reliable” designs of the past that you seem to be yearning for.

yes, Modern vehicles with complicated engine doohickeys, spinny spinny fans, and “too many gears” are lasting longer than the ancient slush boxes and domestic small blocks of the past. The future is now, old man. :ROFLMAO:
What will really bake your noodle is that the average yearly cost of vehicle maintenance and repair is going up. Parts costs are up, labor costs are up, engine replacement costs are up.

No matter how much you want to pretend otherwise, as vehicle engines and trannys get more complex, more money is being spent to repair them.

The question is not are modern engines more reliable than 30 years ago, it's whether their reliablity:cost ratio of these complex engines is any better than more recent, simpler engine designs where reliability ALSO went up.

It is ridiculous to mention the 2.7L EB. If they all fail consistently at 10 years old it will be considered a bad engine, far far below average and yet there as of yet, no evidence this won't happen. All engines look good until they start to fail, lol.

The fact is you have no evidence they are lasting longer. These newer complex designs have not even gotten to the average age of vehicles on the road yet, so it is absurd to pretend you know the future with a crystal ball. It is far far more likely that they will depreciate based on age like vehicles always have in the past, then they get down to that sub-$4K value and suddenly replacing the engine or tranny + other recurring high priced repairs, gets too close to whole vehicle value and the vehicle gets scrapped.

Mark my words, a Land Cruiser bought today will not retain same value (% of purchase price) as the last generation, within its otherwise viable lifespan. You can pretend otherwise but you'll pay the difference and the data on vehicle repairs proves the expense is going up with complexity.

Back