New Toyota Land Cruiser Debuts with 409-HP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6

"It weighs a claimed 440 pounds less than its predecessor and uses two new engines: a gasoline twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6 with 409 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque or a turbodiesel twin-turbo 3.3-liter V-6 with 304 hp and 516 pound-feet of torque. A ten-speed automatic transmission and—naturally—four-wheel drive are standard across the board."

Toyota's new TT V6 is not appealing to me, especially in this platform. The new engine is apparently very complex, and difficult to wrench on. While this may be a suitable trade-off for the new Lexus LS500, it is not suitable for a vehicle of this nature, in my opinion. Especially not as a replacement to the venerable 3UR-FE.

this is basically a US only engine and for russian oil bosses driving around in the lexus lx. nobody is dumb enough to buy a gasoline land cruiser elsewhere. diesel take rate was 97% before they threw in the towel on the 4.6

Nissan used zero brain cells when they decided to make the Y62 patrol gasoline only. instant flop

Last edited:
Toyota's new TT V6 is not appealing to me, especially in this platform. The new engine is apparently very complex, and difficult to wrench on. While this may be a suitable trade-off for the new Lexus LS500, it is not suitable for a vehicle of this nature, in my opinion. Especially not as a replacement to the venerable 3UR-FE.
i agree although i still give toyota the pass since the 4.6 and 5.7 are dohc vvt engines and are pretty complex compared to the ohv's in my newest truck yet is still much more reliable. I don't like turbos as that's another bs thing to go wrong but i have faith in Toyota making them live 150k or more until they go. took Toyota this long to adopt turbos i doubt they're gonna be crap like in turbo GM, ford and German products.

When i sold cars at a Lexus dealership the owner Also owned a Toyota dealership. I don't think there was much profit from the land Cruisers. Supposedly it was my financials viable to sell as a Lexus. From what i saw the Lexus sold 7 to 1 over the land Cruisers, at least in Colorado.

i agree although i still give toyota the pass since the 4.6 and 5.7 are dohc vvt engines and are pretty complex compared to the ohv's in my newest truck yet is still much more reliable. I don't like turbos as that's another bs thing to go wrong but i have faith in Toyota making them live 150k or more until they go.

So less than half the lifespan they used to have is acceptable? Okay as long as the whole vehicle costs half as much and is twice as recycleable as-in THEY take it back and recycle, not left to mother nature and scrap yard vultures.

They've managed to come up with something that will depreciate closer to the rate of everything else, instead of what past generations did. It wouldn't surprise me if in 15+ years, one bought today is worth less than a J200 series that is that much older. Scrap yard pickins' for the win!

Last edited:
They've managed to come up with something that will depreciate closer to the rate of everything else, instead of what past generations did. It wouldn't surprise me if in 15+ years, one bought today is worth less than a J200 series that is that much older. Scrap yard pickins' for the win!
turbo scary 😱

turbo bad 😡

why do foreigners only buy twin turbo land cruisers 🤔🤯

Last edited:
^ Not exclusive to land cruisers, but in general for vehicles it could be because their concept of high mileage is lower than in the US. US drivers average over ~50% more miles per year than *most* of the rest of the world and compared to some (still only considering 1st world) countries, far more than that.

The US has wide open spaces between places people want to go, a lot of highway miles. Smaller higher revving engine is not optimal for that.

Turbo is false economy, that puts vehicles in landfills faster. Of course it can increase HP to weight ratio but we haven't needed an increase in that for public roads in nearly 20 years. How fast you can tailgate someone was already achieved by then. ;)

Fossil fuels are a lot more renewable than the entirety of components that go into making a replacement vehicle because it's not cost effective to replace a modern engine at a certain point, and that point now being around 1/2 to 2/3rds the otherwise viable life of the vehicle... unless you live in the rust belt or drive like you stole it so the whole thing is ragged out.

All the well-to-do moms in the drop-off line at private school are going to be furious!

Only if you have a tranny with enough gears with that small engine, then you have more tranny problems and expenses too. There is no free lunch.

Like the 8 and 10 speed transmissions that come standard on modern 1/2 ton pickups? Including v8 gassers?
You do know that the ecoboost engines in the f150 have a lower redline and make power lower than the v8 coyote, right?

You’ll be both higher revving AND have 10 gears in a v8 F150….

So less than half the lifespan they used to have is acceptable? Okay as long as the whole vehicle costs half as much and is twice as recycleable as-in THEY take it back and recycle, not left to mother nature and scrap yard vultures.

How does having a turbo result in “half the life span”?

Only if you have a tranny with enough gears with that small engine, then you have more tranny problems and expenses too. There is no free lunch.

Why would a turbo need more gears? Why would it run at higher RPM?

I ask, because I have a twin turbo car. With a five speed.

It loafs along on the highway, at 1,800 RPM, where it happens to make 600+ ftlbs of torque. Please check the torque curve on any other NA 5.5 liter engine, and let me know if any of them come close to that kind of low end torque.

A twin turbo engine does not have to be high RPM and low torque. It doesn’t need extra gears. It isn’t short lived.

Where are you getting all these myths about engine design?

Back