New Toyota Land Cruiser Debuts with 409-HP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6

I've looked inside many modern OHC engine, turbocharged and NA alike. Everytime I do, it makes miss the days of yore, when venturis metered fuel and the complicated transmissions had 4 forward gears.

You guys go enjoy working on your failure point ridden machines, I'll be laughing the whole way home on my rickshaw.
Thanks BITOG for that one guy that waxes nostalgic for the days of carburetor!!

Are you a manual choke guy or an auto choke guy?
Do the fumes get you woozy on cold mornings lime when I was a kid?

Thanks BITOG for that one guy that waxes nostalgic for the days of carburetor!!

Are you a manual choke guy or an auto choke guy?
Do the fumes get you woozy on cold mornings lime when I was a kid?
Manual choke, obviously. Less complicated.😆

Oh wow, just looked at the pics of the 300 series.

So that explains why Ford discontinued the Flex - they sold the rights to the design to Toyota to recycle here.

That's the ugliest Land Cruiser ever, and that's saying a lot on top of the steaming pile that was the 200 series.

Dave9 needs to tell all those European taxis with turbos that their engines died like 300k ago. They live in alternative universe thinking their engine is ok, but that is only bcs. they didn’t visit BITOG.
They will be truly disappointed once they discover this website that all this time they were driving dead engine.

When i sold cars at a Lexus dealership the owner Also owned a Toyota dealership. I don't think there was much profit from the land Cruisers. Supposedly it was my financials viable to sell as a Lexus. From what i saw the Lexus sold 7 to 1 over the land Cruisers, at least in Colorado.
Land Cruisers have always been a top of the line, maxed out option vehicle in the US. I always thought there was much more appealing choices in that ~$100k range for a luxury SUV. They are still way too truck-like for that demographic. The rest of the world can get stripped down basic models. I would think a low optioned Land Cruiser like a basic SR5 package for half the price would sell like crazy, but obviously Toyota never felt that way.

The 3.5 turbo in the F-150 is complex as well.
I mean, not really. Its essentially a 3.7L Cyclone with turbos bolted to the side. Hell the first gen I dont think even had a different bolt pattern on the exhaust manifolds because a guy on the F150 forum bolted up a set of Ecoboost manifolds and turbos to a 3.7L mustang.

Reactions: CKN
Yeah the UR motors with their cam tower leaks, valley plate coolant leaks, secondary air pump issues, snapping valve springs, and 14 mpg’s are fantastic.

all those are super cheap repairs too.

I would say that, overall, the F150 Ecoboost motors have been pretty solid, both the 2.7 and 3.5.

The issues that the 3.5 have been famous for are a result of poor engineering in fords part, plain and simple. The mile long timing chain and the horrific bolt pattern for the exhaust manifolds on the first gen suck. But those were fixed on the second gen and unfortunately Borg Warner screwed the pooch on the 2nd gen’s cam phasers. Its not like cam phasers cant be made to work, they work just fine in other motors, they just screwed up on these for some reason.

Turbo failures are not common on the ecoboost. And if one does fail, they are like $500-600 and are very easy to replace. Its 6 bolts total and tow quick connects for the coolant lines. I think i have pulled and installed one of my turbos in 2 hours when i replaced my manifold.

its a hell of a lot easier than other things that can go wrong in a motor.

Its almost like some people on here have not opened a hood in the last 20 years.

There is nothing complex about a turbo. Certainly less complex than 2.5 miles of timing chain with phasers, VVT, DOD, ABC, 123.....

Its almost like some people on here have not opened a hood in the last 20 years.

There is nothing complex about a turbo. Certainly less complex than 2.5 miles of timing chain with phasers, VVT, DOD, ABC, 123.....
I grew up with cars like Lancia Delta HF Integrale or Audi Turbo. Later came Opel Calibra Turbo (1991), VW Golf/Passat 1.8T (1995). I have seen these vehicles with well over 300k
Though, I trust all these manufacturers with turbo engines more than Toyota. Their venture into European diesel market was skatchy at best and current 2.0T in Lexus is not some piece of work.

Did you miss the part where I wrote small engine? Small as in, not just a medium sized engine that can cruise at highway speeds already without needing extra gears to get there and shift smoothly while doing so.

You are conveniently trying to side step the point which is you are paying one way or the other, whether it be the turbo to get more power out of the engine or the tranny, if not both, in the long run.

It is shorter lived, at higher expense.
How do you know that small turbo engine are such junk?

I've got three small (as in 2.3 and 2.4 liter) turbo cars that make good HP.

Three cars. With small engines.

One of them just turned 270,000 miles. With the original turbo, and engine. The other is over 205,000. Also completely original. Driven hard in the mountains.

200,000 miles or more. Don’t burn a drop of oil. Run great on the original turbo and engine.

And that’s…short lived??. That’s unreliable ???

this is basically a US only engine and for russian oil bosses driving around in the lexus lx. nobody is dumb enough to buy a gasoline land cruiser elsewhere. diesel take rate was 97% before they threw in the towel on the 4.6

Nissan used zero brain cells when they decided to make the Y62 patrol gasoline only. instant flop
The Land Cruiser is Toyota's bread and butter vehicle in the Middle East, moving more units than something like a Camry, and they are mostly gas powered. Diesel engines are usually reserved for armored vehicles, although some enthusiasts prefer diesel powerplants, particularly for the 76 Series. They're about as common as hen's teeth though.

The Patrol, on the other hand, has two variants; the Patrol (4.0L DOHC V6 or 5.6L DOHC V8) and the Patrol Safari (4.8L DOHC L6). The "Safari" is a Y61, and while neither variant offers a diesel, perhaps it's possible to special order a 4.2L diesel for the Y61.

The Land Cruiser is Toyota's bread and butter vehicle in the Middle East, moving more units than something like a Camry, and they are mostly gas powered. Diesel engines are usually reserved for armored vehicles, although some enthusiasts prefer diesel powerplants, particularly for the 76 Series. They're about as common as hen's teeth though.

The Patrol, on the other hand, has two variants; the Patrol (4.0L DOHC V6 or 5.6L DOHC V8) and the Patrol Safari (4.8L DOHC L6). The "Safari" is a Y61, and while neither variant offers a diesel, perhaps it's possible to special order a 4.2L diesel for the Y61.
My favorite part of the interweb. 2EHA makes an authoritative statement of fact like he really knows what he's talking about only to have you say the opposite. One probably knows what they're talking about and one is probably spouting junk. Whatever happened to just saying you don't know...if you don't know? This is why the internet is mostly useless.

P.S. I'm not taking the side of either of you - I truly have no idea what the take rate is on gas vs diesel Land Cruisers in the rest of the world.

My favorite part of the interweb. 2EHA makes an authoritative statement of fact like he really knows what he's talking about only to have you say the opposite. One probably knows what they're talking about and one is probably spouting junk. Whatever happened to just saying you don't know...if you don't know? This is why the internet is mostly useless.

P.S. I'm not taking the side of either of you - I truly have no idea what the take rate is on gas vs diesel Land Cruisers in the rest of the world.
There really isn't a "side" to this; 2EHA is making a statement based on his observations in the USDM and I'm stating my observations in the Middle East. He's on point about the preference for diesels in Europe, where gasoline is outrageously expensive. But for the most part, gas engines remain the dominant option in both the U.S. and the Middle East.

which is why these trucks are no longer seen outside of patrol country.

There really isn't a "side" to this; 2EHA is making a statement based on his observations in the USDM and I'm stating my observations in the Middle East. He's on point about the preference for diesels in Europe, where gasoline is outrageously expensive. But for the most part, gas engines remain the dominant option in both the U.S. and the Middle East.
not just europe, but australia. one of their most valuable 4x4 markets. VD only for both families, this is where i referenced the 97% take rate from. HZ diesel and VD engines dominate southern africa as well.

Last edited:
I hope Toyota offers an upgraded V8 in the tundra as well, always really liked that 5.7 motor. I'm sure the twin turbo will be a lot of fun to drive to

Did you miss the part where I wrote small engine? Small as in, not just a medium sized engine that can cruise at highway speeds already without needing extra gears to get there and shift smoothly while doing so.

You are conveniently trying to side step the point which is you are paying one way or the other, whether it be the turbo to get more power out of the engine or the tranny, if not both, in the long run.

It is shorter lived, at higher expense.
This is all myth, turbo engines in general are built much stronger than their normally aspirated cousins, some are even capable of over 3x the power they normally make using a stock block and crank.
The engines block is strengthened, the internals are forged, the oiling system is upgraded and are capable of living many hundreds of thousands of miles with no mechanical issues even when driven at high speeds at high rpm.

I'm really surprised at some of these comments.

When has Toyota come out with a total flop of an engine? None to my knowledge, at least not modern day. If they are willing to put the engine in a their flagship Lexus before putting in the Tundra (land cruiser or LX), then they are obviously very confident in it and consumers should be too. Toyota doesn't put an engine into $100k+ Lexus's without thoroughly making sure its up to the task.

Who ever said Toyota doesn't have experience with turbos too? 3 icons from the 90's were turbo Toyotas that were pretty dang reliable and took a beating! MR2 turbo, Celica GT4/Alltrac and of course the Supra. Compare the reliability to other manufactures turbo cars of the era....

Ford really had no modern cars with turbos outside of the late 80's SVO's and then BAM!! Ecoboost every model! Look how all their ecoboosts are doing. I really haven't seen any common failures with them at all outside of customer neglect. Nobody here seems to be bashing them, I wasn't on this forum when Ford started rolling out the Ecoboost engines, but I could only imagine what some of the members were saying.

I think this engine is going to be great, especially coupled with the 10spd. It's not like it's shifting through all 10 gears all the time when accelerating, it may only use 5 gears from a stop 70mph. But it's really nice towing and going up grades with a heavy payload. The 10spd (at least in Ford) almost acts like a CVT, which is a compliment. It has so many gear choices that it's never overstressing the engine so it's still smooth down the road. Now the ZF 8spd...that was a disaster in everything it went into.

Back