New to Forum; Asking for Your Expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shamus
HOUNDOG; Actually, my warrenty is intact. You see, I had the dealership (Ford) install the Magnaflow exhaust system. They are also an authorized dealer for Superchips - the Service Manager says just return the tune to stock level before bringing it in for warrenty work. And, in the SM's words, the K&N is no consideration for them. Back to the Red Line, I don't care about its cost, as only the longivity of the truck is my concern.

You do NOT have a warranty with Ford. AFTER your done suing the Stealership with your PAID (by you) lawyer MAYBE you'll see something. Ford has nothing to worry about.

Once the superchip was installed that ended the Warranty.

Call up Ford and let them know of this "dealer". They WILL ACT.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
HOUNDOG; Actually, my warrenty is intact. You see, I had the dealership (Ford) install the Magnaflow exhaust system. They are also an authorized dealer for Superchips - the Service Manager says just return the tune to stock level before bringing it in for warrenty work. And, in the SM's words, the K&N is no consideration for them. Back to the Red Line, I don't care about its cost, as only the longivity of the truck is my concern.

You do NOT have a warranty with Ford. AFTER your done suing the Stealership with your PAID (by you) lawyer MAYBE you'll see something. Ford has nothing to worry about.

Once the superchip was installed that ended the Warranty.

Call up Ford and let them know of this "dealer". They WILL ACT.

Bill

Bill:

A couple thoughts. First, while this guy certainly will have engine-failure related wty claims denied, the wty is still in full force otherwise. If his radio fails in the wty period, he still gets a new one, since the superchip obviously did not kill the radio.

Second, in most instances involving warranty or lemon litigation, if the owner prevails, he (or she) gets atty fees paid by the losing manufacturer. Most of us would work this sort of case on a contingent fee basis (no win, no fee). This is not the evil and nefarious arrangement a lot of big corporations would have you believe. It's a highly effective tool that forces lawyers to carefully screen cases up front. Why would I want to take a very risky, questionable case where there's a serious danger of working on it for months (maybe years) only to lose and be paid zero for my work???

You are correct, his radio is safe!
grin2.gif

But anything engine or emissions is going to be a problem. (incl the FED warranty)

As far as the lawyer fees, it is not different due to each state? I've heard here that you pay and IF the Judge feels that your case was legit (after the end of the case) he/she then COULD make whoever you sued pay for your Lawyer?

But the Stealership stating just to bring it back and they will "set it up" back to factory so the warranty is valid just STINKS.

Not to mention that the computer KNOWS the superchip was there.

Thanks, Bill

I love the legal experts here. What they are is gun shy in the face of hassle. That's fine, but state it as such.

Suppose he has a wrist pin go bad ..or a rod bearing?

Suppose the entire rest of the engine looks as pristine as it did when it left the assembly line?? Not one score ..not one sign of wear.

So you are saying Gary that if I have a Superchip in my motor and have to go to the dealer with a wrist pin going bad that they (Ford area Rep) is going to fix the part with NO hassle?

They WILL IGNORE without any concern the Superchip, exhaust and KN filter?

With NO QUESTIONS?

Did I say "no hassle"? Nope. I said that 100% of your advice is inspired out of hassle avoidance. Gun shyness.

It's a product of aging. It may be termed "wisdom" ..but it's also a real downer in terms of viewing the experience base (in retrospect) that allowed its acquisition.

Did you slather yourself up with sunscreen and put on a wide brimmed hat while going to the beach when you were in your mating ritual years? It would have been wise, no?

No I don't buy new vehicles with a warranty to hassle (I have enough hobbies) to get work on.

As some one who got Ford to cover $1200 engine repair plus rent-a-car AFTER warranty I will ALWAYS go on the side of caution.

Why be stupid?

I've seen firsthand and 2nd hand what MFG ask for when getting warranty service.

It will be out of pocket on your side first (unless you can find someone who will do it for no fee (prob more of a percentage) to get your vehicle fixed.

So you are saying that the OP is fine with his warranty? Ford WILL fix anything on the engine with the superchip attached?

His Stealership service manager is one of the best examples of service managers out there?

Bill

PS: Not really a beach type of guy ever... But I do put on plenty of sunscreen and wear a hat since my Dad and Uncle have had MAJOR skin Cancer..

GOOD GOD GUYS! I started this thread to learn about Red Line oil, not argue over my warrenty! I want to learn the meaning of items like Vis @ 100C & 40C cSt, HTHS vis, CCS vis Poise @ C? Is a higher or lower number better? Is there a better site than this one to learn these things? I value your opinions and suggestions - not a war of words. Please help me if you will.
(Side Note: Over your expressed "concerns," I called my dealer's Service Manager this morning about my use of the Superchips programmer. He reinterated what he said before: Use it to return the CPU to stock before bringing it in for warrenty work. It will be covered! ENOUGH SAID ON THIS POINT, OKAY?) Now, about Red Line and these Greek abbreviations...

Exhaust and K&N are not issues for most any auto mfg warranty wise. Put a cat back exhaust on and you just lose the warranty for the actual exhaust( don't mess with cat's however - that is a whole different issue ). Nothing else is going to be at risk. A drop in K&N filter or a K&N CAI is not a problem other than the possibility of oil from the filter getting to the MAF sensor. If you suck water or debris in through the cone filter on a CAI it is an issue. Having a CAI in and of itself is no big deal and will cause no hasle from 99% of dealers. The other 1% would hasle you over a non OEM air freshener.

Superchips is another issue however. And yes, if you have a failed wrist pin and have a tuner of any kind they can deny you. You upped the power of the engine and it exceeded the tolerance of the part. That IS going to be their argument and they will win. Been there and done it( from dealer/auto mfg's side ).

To the OP not sure what else you need to hear about Redline. As has been said by everyone. It is a great oil it just does not meet warranty requirements.

um hold on guys...

Nissan told me directly that dealers are privately owned business that are able to use their own discretion to approve or deny warranty work.

This does have it's limits though. You can go above a dealer to get your manufacturer approve a repair, but not sure if they can force a dealer to do it?

Besides with the Mugnson or whatever warranty Act, they cannot just deny you work because of a modification. They must prove that mod is directly related to the failure.

NHHEMI: Thanks. But I am still asking about the meanings of those "Greek" abbreviations, and how to tell if the numbers are good or bad.

NISMOMAX80: Thanks, and you are right about the Magnuson-Moss Act. I could have brought it up, but I wanted to stay focused on learning about oil and how to interpret all those abbreviations.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
um hold on guys...

Nissan told me directly that dealers are privately owned business that are able to use their own discretion to approve or deny warranty work.

This does have it's limits though. You can go above a dealer to get your manufacturer approve a repair, but not sure if they can force a dealer to do it?

Besides with the Mugnson or whatever warranty Act, they cannot just deny you work because of a modification. They must prove that mod is directly related to the failure.

A dealer can deny you a warranty claim because he is having a bad hair day. Then the ball is in your court (pun intended).

If the dealer claims the problem was caused by your use of the improper oil, it then becomes a urinating contest between the dealers "experts" and yours.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
um hold on guys...

It varies from auto mfg to auto mfg as to just how big of a claim is left to the dealer's discretion. On a major engine repair or engine replacement generally it involves an area rep, a technician from the auto mfg, approval from someone in the warranty divsion, or any combo of these or even other steps.

Magnuson-Moss act is a great consumer protection law but what it allows and does not allow has been so overblown and overstated by aftermarket auto parts companies it is not funny. I don't want to detract from the OP's post any further but if people go crazy modifying their vehicles under the misguided belief the MM allows it and warranty is 100% protected they are misguided.

Peace and no offense meant.

NHHEMI: Thanks. But I am still asking about the meanings of those "Greek" abbreviations, and how to tell if the numbers are good or bad.

Sorry but I guess I missed exactly what you are asking about then. I took your post to ask about Redline being used in your Ranger and the Pro's and Con's of doing so. Haven't seen anything else?

What else is it, specifically, that you are asking about???
21.gif
Provide a list and I am sure you will get the answers.

Okay, specifically, I want to know what the "properties" abbreviations stand for, what they mean, and how to interpret the numbers given: like Vis @ 100C & 40C cSt, Viscosity Index, HTHS Vis cP @ 150C, CCS Viscosity Poise @C, etc, etc? Again, is the number "better" if it is higher or lower than another oil?

Visc changes over temperature and different units are used to measure it over the various conditions. The visc on the label is the SAE range and the units are cSt. 30 weight oil can be 10-12 cSt at the +100c mark, (operating temp). The +40c mark is just there to give the visc curve, thus the visc index. The HT/HS visc is measured at +150c in cP units. The cold cranking is measured a few ways, MRV, CCS etc. the w-rating is back to the SAE system, lower means that the oil cranks in a simulator (mini viscometer) at correspondingly cold temps.

http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Viscosidad/Conversiones/Graph/graph.html

So...

A 5w-30 is 10cSt at +100c, has a HT/HS value of 2.9cP and cranks ( a certian amount, say 15,000) at -25f.

Reading UOAs and learning TBN and stuff is the next step. Browsing the UOA forum is a good learning ground.

Quote:
So you are saying that the OP is fine with his warranty? Ford WILL fix anything on the engine with the superchip attached?

No. Again... I said that your advice is due to some desire for warranty hassle avoidance.

It's a rhetorical "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" thing. It's not based on his modes or his driving style ...if he gets enough beta carotene in his diet. It's 100% out of warranty hassle avoidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back