New to Forum; Asking for Your Expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Back to the Red Line, I don't care about its cost, as only the longivity of the truck is my concern.

Conventional oils have improved a lot in the last 20 years. These days, any off-the-shelf 5W-30 with an SM/GF-4 rating is made from Group II/II+ base oils that offer excellent performance. You'll find many longtime members here at BOTOG using conventional oils (me included) because they perform so well (even given their reasonably good price).

On a 5k mile/6 month oil change, you will see no difference in terms of wear or engine cleanliness between these conventional Group II based oils and synthetics. Synthetics are generally for extended oil changes or really extreme driving conditions.

Here is a 8794 mile OCI on Castrol GTX 10W-30 … BITOG and the TBN was still 4.4, lots of life left in the oil.

Here are some pictures of a valvetrain with 110k miles using 5W-20 conventional at 7500 miles changes … BITOG That's an oil made with Grp II base oils.

Red Line synthetic at 3k miles oil changes will offer no benefit over conventionals. Just find any brand name 5W-30 with a SM rating you like and run that. Modern oils are so good, your vehicle should fall apart before the engine wears out as long as the oil level is maintained and reasonable oil changes lengths are done.

Very nice pics bud
thumbsup2.gif

Redline is overkill in your application no doubt. Even so, I would run it just for the extra insurance if you can afford it. I run a straight synthetic 30wt with lots of ZDDP in my 5w-20 spec'd TL and after 75,000 miles the cats are still functioning just fine and the engine is quieter than ever.

I don't know what to tell you about the warranty. I switched mine to a non-approved oil by the second oil change. I figured the chances of a failure are slim to none and if it did happen I could always drain the oil out and refill with an approved oil.

What I prefer is an oil with a high HTHS in relation to the viscosity at 100C. Redline is always good in this way.

I wish to thank each and every one of you for your help, and shall we say, "energy." Especially to Saaber2! I will continue to use Red Line, changing every 6 months (approx 2200 miles), and no, I don't care about the cost - only my engine. Again, Thanks all.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the TBN for the 5W30 is 8 and the 5W40 is 8.4.
We don't regularly run the ASTM D-4172B 4 ball wear test procedure on our products, it is a gear oil test and not a representative motor oil test. The results can be misleading as they can be influenced by the use of additives soon depleted in engine operation.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Worth anything or not, this is the latest info I got out of Red Line. I asked this question about the four ball test because Amsoil seems to like it.

I can't wait to read your opinions on this! Because of 1) what you guys have said concerning using an API certified oil to insure warrenty coverage, and 2) Ford dropping the Ranger after 2010 or 2011, I am going to trade in my 2-year old Ranger on a new factory order in a few months.

I will continue using Red Line from its first oil change, BUT...

I am going to pickup a big jug of Mobile 1 at Wal-Mart (about $25) at the same time I get my Red Line; turn around and sell the Mobile 1 to my son-in-law for $20, but I keep the receipt for proof of purchase in case of a warrenty issue. I lose $5, but use what I want and have proof of API cert oil "usage."

Okay - lets hear it!

All I'll ask is why?

If you feel that Redline is the best and you will have no problems with it why cheat or lie to Ford?

If you are buying MOBIL (no e on the end) then just run it.

Do you think it is fair to Ford to lie to them if something happens?

My 3 cents....

Bill

PS: I'd keep the Ranger you have now BTW....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back