New to me 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Essense

This post is related to my older one inquiring about these models: [https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-as-used-vehicle-opinions-experiences.365797/]

Except I pulled the trigger. There were two in Columbus, OH, very near each other which made the drive on a Sunday worthwhile (I wasn't even sure if you could buy a car on Sunday in OH). I honestly didn't expect to buy.

The first one was a gorgeous midnight blue. Whoever took the photos to post on the dealer's website needs to be fired, because I hemmed and hawwed as to whether I even wanted to look at it after viewing the photos. It was much better in person. Asking price was 23.8K, I talked them down to 22K out the door, mostly because the passenger headlight is leaking moisture inside (not horribly but these are $1K+ fancy LED assemblies so want to be on the safe side), and because I was literally walking out on a couple occasions to go look at the other car (tight Sunday schedule) and they chased me back each time. I had to play all the games "we have someone bringing in a check tomorrow, 3 people in line to look at it, etc." but I know they have a wagon on their hands that isn't going to sell in a day. I felt I could have talked them down a little bit more, but it is a fair price plus this one checked all the boxes-- and I don't really want to make several 3+ hour drives searching for this unicorn of a vehicle.

Bonus is it has nearly brand new (date code 2241, previous owner installed) Yokohama Tornante tires, which look to have great reviews. If the previous owner splurges on tires, that usually means they haven't skimped out on the rest. This was originally a 3 year lease car, but Carfax lists a second owner after the lease as a "one owner" car. So I'm really the third owner. Interior I'd consider a 9/10 for a car this age.

Despite being a Michigan car most of its life, the underneath didn't look any different than any 4-5 year old vehicle I see in these parts. Probably not Arizona clean, but good enough for me. Think I spotted an actual metal gas tank underneath too, which was corrosion free.

I hate viewing cars in overcast conditions, which it happened to be-- was 45 degrees in KY but the 3-1/2 hr drive north to Columbus turned into low 30's and spitting snow. When I got it home in the light I saw the usual used car stuff on the exterior I missed at the dealer. Someone scrubbing too hard on a couple spots of the hood, swirl marks (which naturally come with dark vehicles), nothing major.

Doesn't feel as fast as I expected it to be given it's published 0-60 times, but I suspect AWD has a lot to do with that. I'm certain the dealer filled it up with 87 (they gave me 3/4 tank at delivery), so it might improve some once I put premium in it. I feel like my Maxima has better acceleration when you really get on it (it's also 700+ lb lighter), but the torque in this Buick moves it with authority. I'm not complaining. I haven't had a 4 cylinder in probably 15 years, it has the gruff sound of a 4-cyl, but it's quite smooth and well isolated from the cabin. And all the reviewers complaining about the slow/lazy shifting of the Aisin 8-speed? It's certainly tuned for fuel economy, and it has a lot of torque management built in, but I don't find it offensive. I honestly like that it lets the turbo do the work at lower (1.5-2.5k) RPM instead of downshifting needlessly when you're at moderate throttle. Cruising speed at 80mph resulted in barely over 2K RPM. I expected a taller 8th gear, but I have to remind myself my old Maxima is running 2900RPM at 80mph...

Has every option box checked for this vehicle that I'm aware of, including the panoramic sunroof. There's a couple features missing (like HUD) mentioned in the manual, but I think that's solely for the Opel models in Europe. Turned in 31 mpg all-highway driving on the way home. I can't remember ever driving a car that's this effortless and smooth on the highway. I nearly missed my turn onto I-65S in Louisville because I was in comfort-bliss mode just enjoying the ride, I'll have to get used to that. I think it'll make a fine commuter and has some utility.

I'll put it on the lift sometime this week and really get a good look at it. I see some wet spots on the top of the transmission that concern me, but that could be a sloppy oil change or something, too early to tell. Nothing suspicious underneath. Will keep you folks updated.

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4605.jpg
    IMG_4605.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4608.jpg
    IMG_4608.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4570.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I love these wagons! Congrats . How many miles and is it an essence or preferred?
68K miles, Essence with sights & sounds & all convenience packages. I'll have to research it a bit more to see if there's any options it's missing, but at first glance it seems to have all of them.

I would not worry about the transmission - VERY stout for the hp and weight of the car.

Two more things I forgot that I loved about that car. The headlights were AMAZING! Super cool panoramic effect when you turn on the high beams. The other is how bright the turn signals are - they can't be missed.

This post is related to my older one inquiring about these models: [https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-as-used-vehicle-opinions-experiences.365797/]

Except I pulled the trigger. There were two in Columbus, OH, very near each other which made the drive on a Sunday worthwhile (I wasn't even sure if you could buy a car on Sunday in OH). I honestly didn't expect to buy.

The first one was a gorgeous midnight blue. Whoever took the photos to post on the dealer's website needs to be fired, because I hemmed and hawwed as to whether I even wanted to look at it after viewing the photos. It was much better in person. Asking price was 23.8K, I talked them down to 22K out the door, mostly because the passenger headlight is leaking moisture inside (not horribly but these are $1K+ fancy LED assemblies so want to be on the safe side), and because I was literally walking out on a couple occasions to go look at the other car (tight Sunday schedule) and they chased me back each time. I had to play all the games "we have someone bringing in a check tomorrow, 3 people in line to look at it, etc." but I know they have a wagon on their hands that isn't going to sell in a day. I felt I could have talked them down a little bit more, but it is a fair price plus this one checked all the boxes-- and I don't really want to make several 3+ hour drives searching for this unicorn of a vehicle.

Bonus is it has nearly brand new (date code 2241, previous owner installed) Yokohama Tornante tires, which look to have great reviews. If the previous owner splurges on tires, that usually means they haven't skimped out on the rest. This was originally a 3 year lease car, but Carfax lists a second owner after the lease as a "one owner" car. So I'm really the third owner. Interior I'd consider a 9/10 for a car this age.

Despite being a Michigan car most of its life, the underneath didn't look any different than any 4-5 year old vehicle I see in these parts. Probably not Arizona clean, but good enough for me. Think I spotted an actual metal gas tank underneath too, which was corrosion free.

I hate viewing cars in overcast conditions, which it happened to be-- was 45 degrees in KY but the 3-1/2 hr drive north to Columbus turned into low 30's and spitting snow. When I got it home in the light I saw the usual used car stuff on the exterior I missed at the dealer. Someone scrubbing too hard on a couple spots of the hood, swirl marks (which naturally come with dark vehicles), nothing major.

Doesn't feel as fast as I expected it to be given it's published 0-60 times, but I suspect AWD has a lot to do with that. I'm certain the dealer filled it up with 87 (they gave me 3/4 tank at delivery), so it might improve some once I put premium in it. I feel like my Maxima has better acceleration when you really get on it (it's also 700+ lb lighter), but the torque in this Buick moves it with authority. I'm not complaining. I haven't had a 4 cylinder in probably 15 years, it has the gruff sound of a 4-cyl, but it's quite smooth and well isolated from the cabin. And all the reviewers complaining about the slow/lazy shifting of the Aisin 8-speed? It's certainly tuned for fuel economy, and it has a lot of torque management built in, but I don't find it offensive. I honestly like that it lets the turbo do the work at lower (1.5-2.5k) RPM instead of downshifting needlessly when you're at moderate throttle. Cruising speed at 80mph resulted in barely over 2K RPM. I expected a taller 8th gear, but I have to remind myself my old Maxima is running 2900RPM at 80mph...

Has every option box checked for this vehicle that I'm aware of, including the panoramic sunroof. There's a couple features missing (like HUD) mentioned in the manual, but I think that's solely for the Opel models in Europe. Turned in 31 mpg all-highway driving on the way home. I can't remember ever driving a car that's this effortless and smooth on the highway. I nearly missed my turn onto I-65S in Louisville because I was in comfort-bliss mode just enjoying the ride, I'll have to get used to that. I think it'll make a fine commuter and has some utility.

I'll put it on the lift sometime this week and really get a good look at it. I see some wet spots on the top of the transmission that concern me, but that could be a sloppy oil change or something, too early to tell. Nothing suspicious underneath. Will keep you folks updated.
Very nice!

I've had a few AWD cars and the acceleration feel is tamed down a little compared to something with FWD or RWD. Learning the handling limit of what a AWD car can do is also more difficult. Don't forget to check the spare tire and does that vehicle use lug bolts being its made in Germany?

I always thought those looked good for a wagon profile. Does the back seat and rear area have pretty decent room? Nice to hear the car rides nice on the highway and you are happy with it.

I always thought those looked good for a wagon profile. Does the back seat and rear area have pretty decent room? Nice to hear the car rides nice on the highway and you are happy with it.
I'm 6'2 and was shocked at the amount of front and rear seat room. Only car I've ever driven where I don't have to put the front seat all the way back to find a comfortable driving position.

If I position one of the front seats fully rearward, and then sit in the back, I have plenty of legroom with room to spare. Passenger space is one of its best attributes. The rear wagon / hatch area won't win any awards for cubic feet (it's a lower profile roofline), but I'm certain with the rear seats folded down it will haul most anything I need it to. For anything else, I have a utility trailer I tow with my Pacifica.

I've had a few AWD cars and the acceleration feel is tamed down a little compared to something with FWD or RWD. Learning the handling limit of what a AWD car can do is also more difficult. Don't forget to check the spare tire and does that vehicle use lug bolts being its made in Germany?
My M235i was RWD with no limited slip. At full throttle it would light up the rear tire(s) at any speed under 50 mph. The C43 is AWD with a 32/69 F/R torque split. It doesn’t feel as quick as the 2er but I fully expect it to be at least 0.5 seconds faster in the 1/8 mile when I take it to the strip in a couple of months.

stunning vehicle. Volvo makes, to my eye, some of the best wagon lines out there, and this one may have surpassed their best. Truly a beautiful vehicle. The inside matches the out. This is not a skylark from the 80s.

When you buy a used car you always get some good, bad and ugly. Mostly good with this car, but I'm noticing more bad after putting it on the lift. I sort of expected that with it being a transport from Michigan.

Onto the photo exhibit -- lighting was done with an LED flashlight and the Iphone I used overexposed it terribly.

A) Some oil residue on bottom of transmission that is evident up top. I think it's slathering down top to bottom though hard to tell in the photo. No drips and clean garage floor after setting 24+ hours.

IMG_4623.jpg

B) New Yokohama tires and clean front end / control arm / etc.

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

C) Engine looks clean all around except the bottom of the timing cover, something is seeping / leaking. These photo shows more evidence of the staining at the bottom of the transmission from seeping / leaking, and the picture where the serp belt appears shows bottom of timing cover. Again, just seeping at this point, no washback to the rear of the car, but I'm not excited about it.

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

D) Normal looking rear end with a touch of rust, nothing unusual about the transfer case / rear diff, all looks normal there. There is evidence of some kind of rustproofing / oil spray applied (forget what you northern folks call it), as there is an oil coating in places where it couldn't have possibly gotten there otherwise.

IMG_4642.jpg

E) By far the ugliest spot of the rust, which appears on the front subframe. Photo makes it look worse than it is, but then again it's not good either. I'm going to try to remediate that ASAP.

IMG_4629.jpg

F) I didn't stick a magnet to them, but I'm pretty sure these are plastic fuel lines (common) *AND* brake lines. All in great condition front to back.

IMG_4636.jpg

G) This vehicle has electric parking brakes. Is this plastic box just for the parking brakes, or is the whole rear brake operated electrically? I didn't look all that closely, but it's definitely something I'm not familiar with.

IMG_4644.jpg

Front brakes have been replaced with GM/AC Delco parts within the last 10-15K from my estimation. Little rust on replacement OEM (galvanized) rotors, and pads have 3/4 life left on them.

Rears have been replaced very recently-- rotors are in new condition, pads at full life, so I got a break (or brake? haha pun) there.

Oil was changed at dealer where I bought it and thankfully has a canister filter though I have none matching the size so will have to buy some. No idea what oil was used, but I'll run it 3K or so. Air filter is very dirty (weird element with fabric/foam glued to paper filter) that will need changing ASAP. Looking down the oil fill hole reveals bright metal, a good sign. Service history shows dealer service throughout at recommended intervals.

That's about as far as I got today.

These cars were undercoated from the factory. What you are seeing is not aftermarket. As for the rear brake calipers, the motor just actuates the parking brake. The rear pistons are still hydraulic. I would not be surprised if the front brakes are still original. They last forever on these cars. The rotors will rust before the pads wear out.

I recommend changing the transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid. They only hold about a quart of fluid each.

I would not be surprised if the front brakes are still original. They last forever on these cars. The rotors will rust before the pads wear out.

I recommend changing the transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid. They only hold about a quart of fluid each.
Definitely not original front rotors / brakes. They're simply too clean and I should at least be able to catch a fingernail on the outside rotor lip (where the pads wear into) after 68K. They have a completely flat face and the only speck of rust I can see on them is deep on the inside vanes where it's not coated.

Trans fluid (drain and fill), transfer case and rear diff are on the list to change. I still need to do some research on what fluid and how to do it, but they all seem plenty accessible.

Trans fluid (drain and fill), transfer case and rear diff are on the list to change. I still need to do some research on what fluid and how to do it, but they all seem plenty accessible.
Transmission fluid is just general Aisin Fluid (Toyota WS). The rear differential uses Dexron LS. The transfer case uses this expensive GM fluid that's 75 dollars a quart.

Back