New tire pressure gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
And 126 PSI is pretty common with high performance skinny bike tires. I remember that my old Silca Pista floor pump could go up to 200 PSI easily.

I put >145 psi into my Vredestein Tri Comp Slicks (with a Michelin latex tube in them), and even more when I use the Vittoria Corsas, and YES, I also use a Silca track ('Pista') pump to inflate these.
wink.gif

Some of the older track tubulars could (and DID) take > 200 psi!!
crazy2.gif

Silca floor pumps were amazing, but their frame-fit pumps were about the worst ever created. They basically came free with many bikes and I remember trying to use one. It would eventually stop somewhere around 90 PSI. I also had one crack badly and then proceed to shoot off the handle past my head. They made an awesome pump made of steel, but those plastic pumps for pumping during rides were horrible. I had a couple of Zefal HPX frame-fit pumps which were superior with the twist that allowed you to lock out the spring. I only bought another one not because it didn't work, but because I'd bought one size too small because I needed it and the store I bought it at (got a discount since I knew the owner) didn't have the larger one in stock. My older one was also scratched after a small solo crash, but was still functioning well with a dent. A Silca would have cracked in several places.

I did not read through all of the pages, but I just bought a new Longacre 50412 gauge. It was about $45, but it was offshore. The COO does not bother me.

It appears to be a well-made product.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The so called $10 digital gauge from Sears is showing up as $25 for me.

That's the regular, retail price, not the sale/discount price.

The so called $10 digital gauge from Sears is showing up as $25 for me.

Its called a sale, because it goes off-sale.

but you didnt want one anyway so who cares.

for everyone else:

The sale is over. It usually returns every 1-2 months for 9.99-12.99$

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
People often confuse precision with accuracy...

Eh? Whats this all about? I don't see anyone confusing the two.

It is often confused.

Precision is the ability to obtain the same result time after time - very repeatable.

Accuracy is to have that result be the correct one.

thumbsup2.gif

Actually, precision is how closely the gauge can be read (.1 psi vs. 1 psi markings for example). Accuracy is how close to the true value it must read (1% of full scale for example). Ability to get the same reading time after time is "repeatability."

Sorry to be pedantic, but I've been in the calibration business since 1973. So when an ad says reads to .1 psi that means it has markings .1psi apart, not that it is accurate or repeatable to that precision. When the ad just says "very accurate", that means nothing.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Somebody please tell me why I would want a battery operated LCD screened tire pressure gauge. Is it because digital means it is assumed to be accurate?

You either want it or you don't - nobody can tell you what you want.

I wanted my battery operated digital tire pressure gauge because it reads to 0.01 psi, automatically compensates for temperature and barometric pressure and is accurate to 0.01% of pressure applied.

And it's Made in the U.S.A.

That's what I wanted.

My bet is you don't want anything like that.

thumbsup2.gif

P.S. For those who don't bother reading the entire thread:

Buy it here: Intercomp Tire Pressure Gauge

Intercomp360045_17JUN13_zps960e668f.jpg

IF I ever buy another high end gauge, THAT^^^ is going to be the ONE!
thumbsup2.gif

.01% accuracy? That is better accuracy than a top line dead weight pressure standard that costs $15K. I don't think so.

Last edited:
If admins would merge this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3685740/1
into the "New tire pressure gauge" thread, it would be helpful. If I'd known there was already a thread, I wouldn't have started that one.

Hydraulic water deadweights are the most accurate. If money were no object, I'd get a P3224-MPA, and somehow adapt it to work with a tire chuck.
http://us.flukecal.com/products/pressure...oduct_details=3
http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Calibration-P3224-MPA-Hydraulic-Deadweight/dp/B00CAF44N2
Comparitively, Intercomp gauges are posers.
Fluke has a smaller entry-level gauge for sub-500PSIG tires, on sale at a charmingly bohemian price of $836.96.
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/produc...jNjEaAjK38P8HAQ

Keep in mind the gauges that all of us are looking for must be in the 0-110 PSI (758 kPa) range; this will cover everything from dual-sport dirt bike tires to semi steers. Bicycle tires can go up to 150 PSI (for modern tires (not vintage track tubulars), correct me on what the maximum PSI is).

The 102058 is superior to the 360094 for non-semi vehicles. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to omit fill and bleed capability, which means toggling back and forth between the gauge and fill/bleed equipment--makes it useless for rapid pit stop pressure changes, but that's not how pit stop changes work--you're going with new tires that are pre-filled every time. It can be had for a negligible $85 more than the 360094.
http://www.intercompracing.com/memory-tire-pressure-gauge-p-140-l-en.html

Intercomp's 360094 is superior to the 360045 and 102058 for semi vehicles and bicycle tires. It has fill and bleed capability and goes up to 150 PSI. It's $399.
http://www.intercompracing.com/digital-fill-bleed-read-gauge-with-angle-chuck-p-185-l-en.html

The 360045 is decent for plebians on a shoestring budget (for non-semi and bicycle use) at $299.99. It has bleed capability, but no fill capability.
http://www.intercompracing.com/99.99-digital-pressure-gauge-p-180-l-en.html

Now what I want to hear from this thread is what the most accurate gauges that can be built or bought in the ranges of $200-299, $100-199, $50-99, and $0-50.
I've started a spreadsheet to keep track of everything, since there's hundreds of gauges made all over the world. It's sheet 9 that is relevant to the discussion:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...#gid=1598520454

I use Amazon reviews as a baseline comparison. If someone says an Okay Brand gauge is the best ever, and it has, e.g., five reviews at or below 3-stars complaining about the same thing, I'm staying away from it.

Start with $200-299, decide on one that's good for that range, then move down to the lower tiers. What's the best non-360045 gauge you can buy or build for $200 to 299?

If you can afford high performance tires, you're going to want to buy a high performance tire gauge. Tires wear out in what, 30,000 miles? A gauge is probably going to last longer, and help tires last longer. Side topics should include vapor-free air fill systems and tires--let's stick to gauges for now. There's multiple tiers, I'm trying to get some order started with the picks. If you'd like to go through the thread again and reevaluate sub-$50 entry level gauges against each other, I'm all ears. I'd like to hear the $200-299 gauges first since the Intercomp 360045 seems to be the top pick for most applications; I'm not one of the people who want to spend $200-299 for a tire gauge, but I want something to compare lower-tier gauges with.

honestly for automotive use accurate to 1psi is plenty.. even if its off 1-2 psi but repeatable.

your tires change more than that overnight with temp change.

Originally Posted By: Rand
honestly for automotive use accurate to 1psi is plenty.. even if its off 1-2 psi but repeatable.

your tires change more than that overnight with temp change.

Agree.

Early morning and noon the temp can be as much as 20-30F difference. Also, if the car is parked under the sun, the tires under shade can be cooler by up to 20-30F after 4-5 hours parking.

My price range is less than $5, actually I bough a couple gauges from Sears with coupon/discount code for less than $2 for one and another at $3. Both are within 1 PSI of America's Tire gauges.

Everything here is too expensive for my needs. As long as the pressure of all my tires are more than 2 PSI above placard I am happy. Temperature factuates more than 20-30F in 24 hours, this alone change tire pressure more than 2-3 PSI. Who needs 1/2 PSI accuracy ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My price range is less than $5, actually I bough a couple gauges from Sears with coupon/discount code for less than $2 for one and another at $3. Both are within 1 PSI of America's Tire gauges.

Everything here is too expensive for my needs. As long as the pressure of all my tires are more than 2 PSI above placard I am happy. Temperature factuates more than 20-30F in 24 hours, this alone change tire pressure more than 2-3 PSI. Who needs 1/2 PSI accuracy ?

When you state 2 psi above placard, I assume you do not mean 2 psi over maximum tire pressure noted on tires.

I mean car's placard, usually on the panel behind the driver door. Some cars has it inside the fuel filler door.

The tire pressure on my cars are way below max pressure on tire sidewall. This max pressure can be as high as 51 PSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back