New tire pressure gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
I know we arent supposed to feed the harbor freight trolls
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wait... I can buy this same thing at Harbor Freight for like $1.37 after using a coupon, and get a free LED flashlight at the same time. Right???

wink.gif

While you cant buy that air gauge at HF you could buy this Good Year Made In The USA AIR hose for use with your compressor to air up those tires after using the gauge.

34.gif

Wow, is that the ONLY item they sell made here?!?!
lol.gif

HF has its place. Cheap stuff sold unabashedly as cheap!

I kind of like the fact that they don't try and give me a line about how great it is, like the last set of tires I bought from Hankook that promised me a fabulous driving experience.

Yeah, for about a week or two!

But I do not buy tools at HF, unless it's cheapie stuff that is really more like a stocking stuffer!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wait... I can buy this same thing at Harbor Freight for like $1.37 after using a coupon, and get a free LED flashlight at the same time. Right???

wink.gif

I got a free LED flashlight without buying anything. The clerk first said I need to buy something(I didn't read the coupon carefully), then she said read the coupon carefully next time and gave the flashlight with no charged.

Nice.

But: "Store pickup within 50 miles of Irvine, CA:
We've searched all the locations within 50 miles of your zip code and the item is not available for store pickup near you."

Originally Posted By: Rand
thats a nice gauge

if anyone wants one for 10$

this one is on sale again

but while its nice.. its definitely not "overkill"
grin2.gif

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605...mp;AID=11042411

10016859-22.jpg

I have one of these as well (kept in the car).

At $10.00, they are paying YOU to have one (it's THAT good!).
I used the $25.00 automotive gift card they sent me for mine, so I only paid $1.99 + tax (on $1.99) for mine!!
crazy2.gif

I still have one I got years ago. I got it at an Eddie Bauer store mostly using this certificate for $15 for anything in the store. I think this was at a time when they were struggling and doing everything to attract customers.

It's really a Topeak dual presta/Schrader gauge designed for bicycle use, with the Topeak name still there and a separate Eddie Bauer label. Over the years the display has gotten scratched up, but it's still working well.

Topeak still has one, but their latest retails for about $30.

41bejr9AHHL._SX385_.jpg

And 126 PSI is pretty common with high performance skinny bike tires. I remember that my old Silca Pista floor pump could go up to 200 PSI easily.

Checked at a motorcycle store today (in for other reasons)and they have gauges (dial & digital) on sale, but brand "Stockton Tools". I knew nothing about them (Stockton) so I passed. I did noticed the digital had a hose, 90 degree head chuck, AAA batteries, says accuracy 1% (0-60), bleeder valve, but just couldn't pull myself together to try one.
But then again I have enough tire pressure gauges.

Last edited:
what kind of jobs do ya'll have? Can I get one?

I "splurged" and found a nice stick gauge for $10. I have tested it against several other stick gauges and dial gauges that I own and all but one of the dial gauges are within 2 psi of each other.

Somebody please tell me why I would want a battery operated LCD screened tire pressure gauge. Is it because digital means it is assumed to be accurate?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Somebody please tell me why I would want a battery operated LCD screened tire pressure gauge. Is it because digital means it is assumed to be accurate?

Easy to read and typically gives some sort of audible beep once a stable reading is complete. It may also be hard to read a dial gauge in some cases (especially low light), and the digital displays hold the reading long enough to move it to a place with more light. I think they also have fewer calibration issues. I remember dropping a dial gauge once, and it was way off afterwards. A digital gauge should be more robust.

The craftman one I linked is 10$

it auto calibrates, is backlit
with a light on the front also.
works great at night.

Also has a trigger to let air out of tire.

I gave away 5 of them as presents and they were all within .5lb of each other.

If I had 60$ to spend I'd certainly like a lifetime use model
but these tend to last 4-8 years with no maintenance.

You either want it or you don't - nobody can tell you what you want.

I wanted my battery operated digital tire pressure gauge because it reads to 0.01 psi, automatically compensates for temperature and barometric pressure and is accurate to 0.01% of pressure applied.

And it's Made in the U.S.A.

That's what I wanted.

My bet is you don't want anything like that.

thumbsup2.gif

P.S. For those who don't bother reading the entire thread:

Buy it here: Intercomp Tire Pressure Gauge

Intercomp360045_17JUN13_zps960e668f.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
And 126 PSI is pretty common with high performance skinny bike tires. I remember that my old Silca Pista floor pump could go up to 200 PSI easily.

I put >145 psi into my Vredestein Tri Comp Slicks (with a Michelin latex tube in them), and even more when I use the Vittoria Corsas, and YES, I also use a Silca track ('Pista') pump to inflate these.
wink.gif

Some of the older track tubulars could (and DID) take > 200 psi!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

You either want it or you don't - nobody can tell you what you want.

I wanted my battery operated digital tire pressure gauge because it reads to 0.01 psi, automatically compensates for temperature and barometric pressure and is accurate to 0.01% of pressure applied.

And it's Made in the U.S.A.

That's what I wanted.

My bet is you don't want anything like that.

thumbsup2.gif

P.S. For those who don't bother reading the entire thread:

Buy it here: Intercomp Tire Pressure Gauge

Intercomp360045_17JUN13_zps960e668f.jpg

IF I ever buy another high end gauge, THAT^^^ is going to be the ONE!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back