New Mobil 1 ESP A3/C3 rated- Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from 427Z06
cheers.gif

http://press.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/601650.html

quote:

It conforms to the new 'ACEA C3' category of Low Emission products recently introduced by the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA), as well as the existing ACEA A3, B3 and B4 categories.

OEM Approvals
The new ESP technology has received OEM approvals from some of the world's leading car manufacturers such as Mercedes Benz (MB), BMW and Volkswagen (VW) Group.

Mercedes Benz has approved Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 to MB 229.31 specification and can be used for all current passenger car diesel engines. The product is backwards compatible, in line with service fill recommendations, offering dealers and motorists alike a streamlined choice of engine lubricant.

BMW approved Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 according to their newest LL-04 specification. This specification covers the former LL-98 and LL-01 specs and Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is therefore suitable for today's gasoline and diesel engine including DPF technology and is also backwards compatible, in line with service fill recommendations, offering dealers and motorists alike a streamlined choice of engine lubricant.

And most recently ExxonMobil announced the VW Group has approved its new Mobil 1 ESP formula 5 W-30 engine oil for VW 504.00 and 507.00 specifications.

ExxonMobil has its own in-house Research & Development division, which conducts product development and testing. Since 2002, its research engineers have worked closely with a number of car manufacturers on developing the ESP technology.
Background to 'Low Ash' and ESP technology

[ April 11, 2005, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I imagine it will hit Au, but these things tend to start in Europe I think.
smile.gif

This is the medium SAP's (Sulphur/Sulphated Ash/Phosphorus) stuff I mentioned last month....

The new ACEA, C3-04 catagory loosely corresponds to ACEA, A3/B4,however Sulphated Ash is limited to 0.8%, vs 1.5% for ACEA, A3/B4. Phosphorus is limited to 700-900 ppm (yes there is a lower limit), vs no limit on ACEA A3/B4. The PAO based synthetics have no sulphur anyway, but Group III basestocks still have a small amount. So it will be interesting to see the composition of these new C3-04 formulations.

Ted

VW 504.00 and VV 507.00 supercede VW 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01. VW 503.00 and VW 506.00 are low-HTHS oils. Since VW 504.00 and VW 507.00 meet A3, they are regular HTHS oils. Has VW decided that low HTHS oils did not perform satisfactory after all?

MBMan,

I was thinking the same thing...

I believe its just too tough to get adequate bearing and ring/cylinder protection and low oil consumption with the low viscosity oils. Going back to a minimum HT/HS of 3.5 Cp is the tried and true solution.

This is especially critical now that levels of AW additives have been reduced so much....

Ted

quote:

Finally we get some M1 that's thinner than a 40 grade

Most likely a thick 30wt too, something US Vette owners would like to have.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back