New Mobil 1 5w-50 Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I can't post the link but if you go to Mobil's webpage and go under the MSDS page, you'll see as of 03/06 they have listed a 5w-50 M1 EP.

Are there any car or light truck manufacturers that recommend a 50 wt oil for any of their current-production vehicles?

I'm thinking this might me a good oil for some of the motorcycle guys, but I'm not sure if it has the FM's that cause problems for some MC clutches.

-------
"the ford GT takes 5w50 synthetic"
-------

Go figure. I bet they're trying to get the owners to really feel connected to the days past...when it was common for a new production vehicle to roll off the assembly line with a crankcase filled with heavy weight oil in the summer warmth.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Interesting.

Cool. BMW has made many engines that enjoy or even require chomping on really thick oils. Even this one might be too thin for some of them.
My VW 1.8T likes them thick but a 50 weight is likely too much. But this could be a good ingredient for a mix with a thinner M1 grade!

In Australia it seems the most popular viscosity of Mobil 1 is 5W-50 although it is not classed as EP. It is a strange viscosity, I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my cars although Mobil do sell 0W-40 which used to be the European favorite. In Europe 5W-30 Mobil 1 seems to have replaced 0W-40 as oil for the masses, with 0W-30 used for racing.
Anyways I think all the different viscosity ranges will dissapear as xW-20 will replace them all and will be the only oil available. My reasoning is that as it is specified by car manufacturers in the hot states of USA then surely it will perform anywhere in the world, be it stinking hot or really cold.
Roger

Looks like you could count the number of applications on one hand. M1 0W-40 shears like crazy and now a 45 point viscoty spread., I wonder if they put friction modifiers back in the 50 wt.
dunno.gif

Mobil sell M1 5W50 everywhere here the biggest selling syn by a country mile. 15W50, 0W40, and 10W30 the other M1 viscosities available. Every auto store sells just the 5W50. I have it in the Mazda but changing to 15W50 when I get around to it.

M1 5W-50 and 0W-40 are great oils. The tales of crazy sharing is that, tales. A little sharing or thickening of oils is normal.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Hmmm... I've been under the impression that Mobil 1 0W-40 was Mobil's top of the line product here in the US/Can. I've been using it in my BMW Z3 for a few years now. I wonder if 5W-50 would be an even better choice in its rev happy engine.

I would love to try Amsoil 5w-40 but I can't seem to locate it anywhere...

~Sail

I am not sure about mobile, but 5W50 has been sold in Canada for at least four years now. I have been using it in my motorcycle since I first saw it. My bike seemed to purrrrr when I first changed over to it!!

Roger 5W50 isn't thick 40W70 is. High mileage turbo engine used 10W30 like it does fuel and rattled like a tin can. No thanks. I do use Havoline 'Energy' 5W30 (obsolete product) in our Subaru Outback .

I would not recommend this oil in a motorcycle with a shared engine/transmission design. This oil has to have a lot of VIIs to make that viscosity spread. A motorcycle transmission will dramatically shear this oil very, very rapidly down to a grade you don't want to be running. (Check out some of the UOAs in the Motorcycle UOA forum for examples of 40- and 50-weight oils shearing down to 20- and 30-weights in less than 100 miles.)

Also, BMW recommends 60-weight oil for a particular engine because of a poorly designed rod, not because 50-weight and 60-weight oils are great for automotive use these days.

I really can't see a viable market for this oil in America, but I wish Mobil the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back