"New" Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, great - but how NOISY will it be?
smile.gif

Scott

Mobil 1 was never noisy in any engine I've used it in. Same can be said for my friends/family that use it.

Hi Pablo,

I have been using the XL 5W20 for 8-9 month 7K OCI on a Honda 4cyl and while the wear metals look good the TBN's have indicated it is about finished (around 2 from Blackstone). My hope is to find a synthetic oil that can go 1 year OCI in this severe (i.e. lots of short trips)service.

The hope is that a group IV oil designed for extended OCI would have the add pack and overall stability that would let the oil hold up a bit longer. I'm a fan of amsoil and would think that a group IV 0W20 from them would be a great addition to their lineup.

Pat

I worked at a Mobil research lab one summer in my college years and helped setup NYS fuel quality testing program. I don't have any information on current products, but based upon what I saw in the labs I run Mobil 1 for a full year with a decent filter, except in vehicles that mostly take short runs (kids school vehicles). Those get changed twice a year. I have followed this practice since Mobil 1 was introduced, currently use 5W-30 EP and it has served me well. I keep my cars until they hit over 150,000 miles and have never had a motor issue related to oil use. It saves resources, time and money. I used to have the oil tested by Mobil (they used to do it cheap, and the state lab, and they supported my belief that extended change intervals were reasonable for my use).

Richard.

Quote:

Quote:

and now you're not interested in going beyond 5k miles?

If you check back over all my posts, you will find I have never advocated extended oil change intervals. My response to that question has always been, change it when the manufacturer of your car says to (and read the fine print about standard vs severe service).

Good Grief.
laugh.gif
The recommended OCI in the Hondas is 10,000 MILES on an SM rated oil. I cannot take you seriously when you blather on about 5,000 km OCIs on today's oils. You are completely missing the boat and wasting resources, time and money. MY long history of UOAs on Mobil 1 prove you are wrong on your stance and insistence upon this abnormally short OCI, even when the fine print infers that some of my cars may experience a small bit of "severe", but the oil, a full synthetic Mobil 1, has no difference in longevity. I have been running M1 for years at 8500 to 10000 OCI, and have had multiple vehicles over 165000 miles with none showing engine wear.

Honda no longer recommends blanket 10K oil changes. With the OLM, the light often comes on at considerably fewer miles. No one's "wasting resources" with shorter oil changes. In case you hadn't heard, used oil is increasingly recycled rather than used as boiler fuel - in some cases included with partially refined new product right into the hydroprocessing vessels to create Group II and Group III base oils.

Oh, but you are misinformed.... Any vehicle that is not equipped with an OLM, is recommended for 10K OCI on all 2006 and later Hondas. I suppose the energy used to manufacture and or refine the oil in the first place is not wasted? lol.... How about using three times as many paper towels to wipe your hands, or how many empty bottles get trashed? (The recyclers around here will not recycle plastic oil bottles.) How about the trucking company's fuel to get all those bottles of oil to you? Yes, wasted resources...

Further, no slop oil from the vats at dealerships or Jiffy Lube-type places is rerefined... It goes straight to Southern Company around here. Not only does the exotic wear metals in the used oil muck up the cracking towers, but the refiners don't want to be responsible cradle to grave of others' heavy metals. Any oil manufactured from used motor oils as a base would have to say so on the labels.

I pl
grin.gif
an on using this oil in my new 07 Mustang GT...I will still change the oil at approx 5000 miles..Yes, a waste, but very cheap insurance in my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back