2018 VW Tiguan EA888 g3 engine calls for 0w-20; can I use 5w-20?

I have a huge stock of Castrol EDGE Extended performance oil in the 5w-20 weight. I know the engine calls for 0w-20, but since I have the oil. If it won't harm the engine I would consider using it. The car I will use it on has 100K on it now and was curios. I tend to change oil every 5K and never go past that.

The car I have is a VW Tiguan 2018 with an EA888 Gen 3B engine. It has never given me issues. Just curious about the weight of the oil since I have it on hand.

I have used 5w20 synthetic in our Mazda 2.5 Skyactiv non turbo that calls for 0w20 without issue.
I use it in summer months where cold starts aren't an issue but I doubt it would even matter in my climate where 0*F would be the coldest seen....and that would occur maybe only once or twice per winter.
Does your EA888 call for VW 508 oil? The Edge EP doesn't meet that spec. but it may not matter now that your out of warranty.

I will just stick the 0w-20 castrol I have and then opt for a 508 spec oil. Again to be honest never had issues not using the spec 508 since I owned it. I change the oil like I said every 5K.

I’ve never owned a vehicle that requires a VW spec oil and never will; that being said there are multitudes of examples on the internet of very bad things happening to VW engines when the correct spec oil is not used. I’d ping @TiGeo for his input, but your plan even with short OCIs seems like it’s ill-advised if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term.

I have a huge stock of Castrol EDGE Extended performance oil in the 5w-20 weight. I know the engine calls for 0w-20, but since I have the oil. If it won't harm the engine I would consider using it. The car I will use it on has 100K on it now and was curios. I tend to change oil every 5K and never go past that.

The car I have is a VW Tiguan 2018 with an EA888 Gen 3B engine. It has never given me issues. Just curious about the weight of the oil since I have it on hand.
I'm sure you can deviate in terms of viscosity but the VW approval is really what you need. If this were a VW approved 0W-30 then I would say it's probably fine, but I would not run a random ILSAC oil in a Euro engine.

All 508s are by definition 0W20 so there is no deviation w/r to grade possible.
Yeah I just mean another similar VW approval like 504/507. I'm sure an ESP 0W-30, for example, is fine for this engine. Just as BMW LL-12FE is basically the same as LL-04 just thinner.

Yeah I just mean another similar VW approval like 504/507. I'm sure an ESP 0W-30, for example, is fine for this engine. Just as BMW LL-12FE is basically the same as LL-04 just thinner.
I don’t own any BMWs, but in your example I would bet money on the fact that an engine that required LL-12FE would be fine on an LL-04 oil, but an LL-04 engine would not be fine on an LL-12FE oil. And I’d take double or nothing that BMW wouldn’t warranty the latter example.

This question and debate makes up 90% of BITOG these days it seems. I agree 504 I'm sure is fine just as 502 would be. I'd just use the oil it calls for personally.

I don’t own any BMWs, but in your example I would bet money on the fact that an engine that required LL-12FE would be fine on an LL-04 oil, but an LL-04 engine would not be fine on an LL-12FE oil. And I’d take double or nothing that BMW wouldn’t warranty the latter example.
Yeah, I didn't suggest going down in viscosity, I suggested going up in this case.

The Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 meets MB 229.71, which is similar to VW 508. Both are mid-SAPS xW-20 (though the MB standard has much more demanding testing requirements).

The Castrol Edge EP 5W-20 is a bit weird because it meets ACEA C2, which requires an HTHS >2.9. This makes it incompatible with any VW or MB standard, since none of those standards allow an oil to have both an xW-20 grade and an HTHS >2.9.

If the 5W-20 has the same formulation as the Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 and only differs in viscosity, I think it would be just fine.

🍿 🍿 :D

Back