2018 VW Tiguan EA888 g3 engine calls for 0w-20; can I use 5w-20?

Your signature says you got 2 out of 3 right..... my opinion anyways
The only oil I'd change is with your Elantra. Being you're a Texan, find an SP-cert 5w40 for that engine.
I cannot wait until CAFE obsoletes anything over 0W20. I will drink the tears of the thickies from chalice and the warmth of their cries will heat my cold black heart.

My car is only one data point, but the last time the oil was changed in my BMW 535d (before I bought it), the BMW dealer used LL-12FE 0W30 oil. The owner's manual calls for LL-04 5W30 oil. I've read something about BMW going to LL-12FE for MY 2016+ cars that originally called for LL-04.
It’s allowed for N57D30O1 only and only in the US 🤔. I would probably ask for the LL-04 if you had ever gone back.

OCI's in Europe can go as long as 20K so it's understandable that European car makers are fussy about 'approvals'. Your Tiguan is out of warranty and Castrol EP 'Gold' is not a run of the mill 5w20 'dino' but rather is an excellent oil by all accounts. I seriously doubt it would do a bit of harm in your VW if changed at reasonable intervals like 7K miles. If you want to be safe run it in summer and use VW 0w20 in winter. I still don't know why Toyotas, Hondas, Fords etc...can run 200K+ on run of the mill 0w20 syns. but VWs are so fussy (if you aren't doing extended OCIs as done in Europe?) Is VW metallurgy so different? The OP asked for opinions and that's mine.

OCI's in Europe can go as long as 20K so it's understandable that European car makers are fussy about 'approvals'. Your Tiguan is out of warranty and Castrol EP 'Gold' is not a run of the mill 5w20 'dino' but rather is an excellent oil by all accounts. I seriously doubt it would do a bit of harm in your VW if changed at reasonable intervals like 7K miles. If you want to be safe run it in summer and use VW 0w20 in winter. I still don't know why Toyotas, Hondas, Fords etc...can run 200K+ on run of the mill 0w20 syns. but VWs are so fussy (if you aren't doing extended OCIs as done in Europe?) Is VW metallurgy so different? The OP asked for opinions and that's mine.
There is much more to it.
VW dropped 20k OCI in Europe.

Also, Toyota, etc., recommend ACEA oils in Europe.

You can avoid these dilemmas by buying oil in normal quantities for your car so you can buy the recommended viscosity and not try to use the oil in the 55 gallon drum (but hey it was a great deal!) that is a viscosity for a car that you now longer own. I understand the volume discount thing but at most you change oil twice a year.

I don't know about 7K but I'd do an oil analysis on 508 as a baseline and then try the 5w20 EP for 3K and do another baseline, then cautiously proceed from there.

*Disclaimer - if your engine blows up, I disavow all responsibility.

I don't know about 7K but I'd do an oil analysis on 508 as a baseline and then try the 5w20 EP for 3K and do another baseline, then cautiously proceed from there.

*Disclaimer - if your engine blows up, I disavow all responsibility.
He won’t find anything. To see differences, one must examine the engine.

Back