New Mercedes Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Seriously, what is your problem...as I stated

Lol. I knew you would get mad; so, I edited my post, but you caught it. It wasn't serious.

Ahhhhh...trolling

Keep at it, you are REALLY good at it.

No, you're projecting again. Plus, you have no sense of humor. (By the way, projection means habitually taking all the good credit to oneself and habitually giving others all the bad credit.)

You keep talking about the "flavor of the month" (with regard to the three or four different oils I used in the last ten years -- so, you're off by two orders of magnitude, even if you're figuratively speaking), and you're the one who got started in this thread without replying to the OP but again criticizing my here-and-then varying oil choices.

I then made one joking, fairly innocent comment on your oil stash based on a previous post of yours, which I actually deleted (because I realized I keep underestimating how you don't take things lightly here), and I'm the one who is trolling.

OP, only way to find out which oil exactly you need is to drive to LA, give it to Gokhan. Then he will do notorious drive between LA and Las Vegas and he will recommend Mobil1 0W20 EP. You will gain 50hp, some 30lb-ft of torque, and sound? Sound might almost be thrilling as in his Corolla.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

You keep talking about the "flavor of the month" (with regard to the three or four different oils I used in the last ten years -- so, you're off by two orders of magnitude, even if you're figuratively speaking), and you're the one who got started in this thread without replying to the OP but again criticizing my here-and-then varying oil choices.

NO I AM NOT...I was quite clear.

You resented
* uber VII as the ultimate selector of an oil, at the exclusion of all other metrics...and made authoritative statements and recommendations to posters based on your then 100 correct views.
* made authoritative statements regarding the search for higher basestock viscosity because your emphatic science was that higher basestock viscosity was THE thing in protecting engines.
* now it's PAO
* BOQI - and NO, that's NOT what the Chevron patent says.
* BOQI with HTS because BOQI doesn't work even in the same family of oils (demonstrating clearly the above point)
* Moly....must have lots of it.

You get a bee in your bonnet, misinterpret a couple of papers, then start making emphatic recommendations on what posters should be using.

I don't care that you think your clapped out Corrolla is the industry standard bench test for engine oil, nor do I care what you run in it.

That was not my commentary, it was about you flip flopping over "science", and your misunderstanding and misrepresentation of it...and changing the science you present over relatively short periods of time.

As to the trolling/my use of various oils....that's purely misdirection...look over there a bunny.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/150/Red-Herring

Last edited:
That was not my commentary, it was about you flip flopping over "science", and your misunderstanding and misrepresentation of it...and changing the science you present over relatively short periods of time.

As to the trolling/my use of various oils....that's purely misdirection...look over there a bunny.

Sure, you're the ultimate authority and judge on BITOG on what's right and what's wrong, despite almost everything we discuss falls into the gray area.

Next time, I will run my posts with you before I post them so that they can be properly vetted.

By the way, Shannow, I haven't seen you posting anything useful on BITOG other than basic bearing theory and the Stribeck curve, which is common knowledge available in every corner on the Internet.

You seem to be spending all your time and energy to replying to other posters and criticizing their work.

It is easy and convenient to trash other people's work, often unfairly, while you don't contribute anything, isn't it?

It is easy and convenient to trash other people's work, often unfairly, while you don't contribute anything, isn't it?
Is he trashing your "work" or calling you out? There is a vast difference between the two. From what I have seen and chosen to comment on a fair amount of what you post is either highly speculative, misinterpreted, or flat out wrong. Of course, I do not expect you to be objective and open to receiving that input, so by all means, carry on.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
From what I have seen and chosen to comment on a fair amount of what you post is either highly speculative, misinterpreted, or flat out wrong. Of course, I do not expect you to be objective and open to receiving that input, so by all means, carry on.
The last time when you commented was when you were trashing my post because you thought I was making speculations without having seen your M1 EP 0W-20 UOA. I finally figured out that I had erroneously posted the wrong link for your UOA (hence you thinking I hadn't seen it) and that's why I was being attacked -- even though what I posted was all true -- but you never acknowledged that I wasn't speculating even after I let you know of the error. So, no, unfortunately there is no objectivity coming from the other side.
I fail to see where you were correct related to my UOAs and I still do not believe that you are and saying we are both right is not possible. The M1 AFE performed just as well or better than the M1 EP and that is a fact--I challenge you to show me where it did not.

I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution so I run Pennzoil Platinum 0W-40 in mine, but M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 are two other widely available choices as are various xW-30 flavors.
I appreciate criticism and input but let's see what happened here: - You recommended A3/B4 oil for a car equipped with a gasoline particulate filter, which was "flat out wrong" in your own terminology.
Read much? I said "in mine"--both of MY Mercedes cars specify 229.5 or 229.6. The oils that I posted are correct for my cars. If you look at the later post the OP made with a picture of his owner's manual, you will not find that I recommended a 229.5 or 229.6 so no NOT flat out wrong. I stand by what I said and if you disagree, I am fine with that too, it does not change anything. For the record this is not the only post that I am referring to and I am not the only one who has challenged/rebutted what you have said in multiple posts throughout the years. As for what Shannow posted, he is more than capable to defend what he thinks/stated.

First, it doesn't matter if you said something wrong. I don't launch attacks at people like you and Shannow do when I don't like something they post. In fact, I didn't even reply to you until you came to Shannow's side when he attacked me. So, since you're the one who is making the accusations, let's go and see what's really happening:

The M1 AFE performed just as well or better than the M1 EP and that is a fact--I challenge you to show me where it did not.

If you said "just as well," I would have no problem with it. However, you said the following, which turned out to be flat out wrong in your own terminology when I found and looked at your UOA:

I ran 0W-20 AFE and 0W-20 EP in my 2010 FX4 for up to 18K miles and the AFE performed better (via UOA results) than the EP did.

So, the AFE performed better than the EP, ha? Really? Still insisting on this blatantly false claim?

I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution so I run Pennzoil Platinum 0W-40 in mine, but M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 are two other widely available choices as are various xW-30 flavors.
I appreciate criticism and input but let's see what happened here: - You recommended A3/B4 oil for a car equipped with a gasoline particulate filter, which was "flat out wrong" in your own terminology.
Read much? I said "in mine"--both of MY Mercedes cars specify 229.5 or 229.6. The oils that I posted are correct for my cars. If you look at the later post the OP made with a picture of his owner's manual, you will not find that I recommended a 229.5 or 229.6 so no NOT flat out wrong. I stand by what I said and if you disagree, I am fine with that too, it does not change anything.

Actually, the OP had explicitly said 229.51 in his original is post. Only after I pointed it out to you, you still didn't believe it and asked for a picture confirmation. Your recommendation was plain wrong no matter how you look at it.

RamAir5, ignore the posters who base their advice on personal experiences and go with the specs, which is mid-SAPS.

The dexos2/MB 229.51 PP 5W-30 is an optimal oil for this car. It's available at Walmart at a bargain price.

An A3/B4 full-SAPS 0W-40/5W-40 is a no - no if this car has a gasoline particulate filter.

The next post is yours:

@RamAir5 - can you post a picture of the oil specifications in your owners manual? The latest GLE owners manual posted on Mercedes' website is for a 2018 which calls for either 229.5 or 229.6 oils.

Yet, you still kept going:

I would want confirmation of a GPF. In a diesel engine, a particulate filter has an obvious use/need, not so much in a gasoline application.

First, it doesn't matter if you said something wrong. I don't launch attacks at people like you and Shannow do when I don't like something they post. In fact, I didn't even reply to you until you came to Shannow's side when he attacked me. So, since you're the one who is making the accusations, let's go and see what's really happening:

The M1 AFE performed just as well or better than the M1 EP and that is a fact--I challenge you to show me where it did not.

If you said "just as well," I would have no problem with it. However, you said the following, which turned out to be flat out wrong in your own terminology when I found and looked at your UOA:

I ran 0W-20 AFE and 0W-20 EP in my 2010 FX4 for up to 18K miles and the AFE performed better (via UOA results) than the EP did.

So, the AFE performed better than the EP, ha? Really? Still insisting on this blatantly false claim?
OK, genius do tell me how what I said was false. Tell me how AFE did not perform better than EP in my application. The AFE costs less and was ran as far as the EP with as good or better results. Again I stand by what I said and posted the supporting data. You are so good at posting information post some to dispute my claim and prove me wrong.

Actually, the OP had explicitly said 229.51 in his original is post. Only after I pointed it out to you, you still didn't believe it and asked for a picture confirmation. Your recommendation was plain wrong no matter how you look at it.
Really? MB 229.51 includes both xW-30 AND xW-40 oils

OK, genius do tell me how what I said was false. Tell me how AFE did not perform better than EP in my application. The AFE costs less and was ran as far as the EP with as good or better results. Again I stand by what I said and posted the supporting data. You are so good at posting information post some to dispute my claim and prove me wrong.

No, as you are well aware but conveniently ignoring, it doesn't work that way. When you claim that something did better or worse, you need to prove it. I don't need to prove the fact that they did similarly in your UOAs despite that you ran the EP longer than the AFE. I never said the EP did better. I said they did similarly. Also, no, the AFE UOAs wasn't run as far as the EP UOA.

PS: I see that now, you've hidden your UOAs on Google Sheets. How convenient. Are you busy doctoring them now?

Huh? Where did I say otherwise and what does it have to do with anything?

No, as you are well aware but conveniently ignoring, it doesn't work that way. When you claim that something did better or worse, you need to prove it. I don't need to prove the fact that they did similarly in your UOAs despite that you ran the EP longer than the AFE. I never said the EP did better. I said they did similarly.

PS: I see that now, you've hidden your UOAs on Google Sheets. How convenient.
Funny, that is NOT how you work, now is it? My UOAs have not been public for months, nothing new there so your veiled suggestion is irrelevant.

Huh? Where did I say otherwise and what does it have to do with anything?
Castrol 0W-40 is on the approved list, yet you stated I am flat wrong for recommending it and that is what it has to do with it.

In the end, it is simply easier for me to ignore your antics than waste my time. I only hope some unsuspecting person does not take one of your pearls of wisdom and use it to their detriment.

Funny, that is NOT how you work, now is it? My UOAs have not been public for months, nothing new there so your veiled suggestion is irrelevant.

Wrong again. I was looking at it on February 28 and as late as March 3. It's been only about two weeks and it's now mysteriously taken off public.

Castrol 0W-40 is on the approved list, yet you stated I am flat wrong for recommending it and that is what it has to do with it.

Wrong yet again. You recommended the common A3/B4 variety of Castrol 0W-40. The approved Castrol 0W-40 is a C3 variety and I don't know if it's available in US:

Castrol 0W-40 C3

These are the current Castrol products. The C3 varieties are approved for OP's car. However, I don't think they are available in US.

463737-IT01: Italian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
463998-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 C3, PAO-based

467337-US65: American Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
467465-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based

RamAir5, the OP, https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Ben...lutyp_crtyp_simh_2_5/140-9253857-0570740
Genuine Mercedes 229.52 oil might be the best option, cheap-ish over Amazon too. I get stuff over Amazon a lot, like a ba-zillion others, making Bezos happy. Don't you want to make Bezos happy?
crackmeup2.gif

I'd argue that the oil maker Mercedes contracts with makes a quality product, AND you have Mercedes Benz monitoring them for Quality Control once in a while too.
In addition, no question this stuff works well in Mercedes engines.

Last edited:
These are the current Castrol products. The C3 varieties are approved for OP's car. However, I don't think they are available in US.

463737-IT01: Italian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
463998-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 C3, PAO-based

467337-US65: American Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
467465-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based[size:20pt][/size]
467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based

What is this?
0W30 C3 is not available in the US and it is made in several countries.
There is Castrol 5W30 C3 available on Amazon and meets MB229.51.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
RamAir5, the OP, https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Ben...lutyp_crtyp_simh_2_5/140-9253857-0570740
Genuine Mercedes 229.52 oil might be the best option, cheap-ish over Amazon too. I get stuff over Amazon a lot, like a ba-zillion others, making Bezos happy. Don't you want to make Bezos happy?
crackmeup2.gif

I'd argue that the oil maker Mercedes contracts with makes a quality product, AND you have Mercedes Benz monitoring them for Quality Control once in a while too.
In addition, no question this stuff works well in Mercedes engines.

Thanks. But I got the Kendall Euro + 5w30 which meets the 229.51 spec for $40 for 12 quarts from a local shop.

Let us know how it goes with the euro plus 5w30. I just got a 17 vw Jetta se with the 1.4 turbo. Going to vw 504.00 spec and ordered a case of euro plus 5w30 to run in it. I too am a kendall fan been running it in my crown vice since I bought it 4 years ago. It is good oil for a great price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back