New Mercedes Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning to all.

We purchased a new MB last weekend and, of course, one of the first thing I did once we returned home was to grab the manual and determine which oil grade Mercedes recommends. Interestingly, MB only recommends a spec. I have been unable to locate any information on the oil weight. MB actually recommends several specs. MB 229.51, MB 229.52, MB 229.61 and MB 229.71. It's a 2.0 turbo M264 model motor (2020 GLE 350 suv). Numerous oils ranging from 5w20 to 5w40 meet one or more of these specs. I'm guessing 5w40 Euro Synthetic would be in order due to the turbo. Any one have experience with selecting an oil weight for this engine. It's been around since 2018 i believe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RamAir5
Good morning to all.

We purchased a new MB last weekend and, of course, one of the first thing I did once we returned home was to grab the manual and determine which oil grade Mercedes recommends. Interestingly, MB only recommends a spec. I have been unable to locate any information on the oil weight. MB actually recommends several specs. MB 229.51, MB 229.52, MB 229.61 and MB 229.71. It's a 2.0 turbo M264 model motor (2020 GLE 350 suv). Numerous oils ranging from 5w20 to 5w40 meet one or more of these specs. I'm guessing 5w40 Euro Synthetic would be in order due to the turbo. Any one have experience with selecting an oil weight for this engine. It's been around since 2018 i believe.Thanks

A friend just bought a GLE 400 and the viscosity recommended is 5W40 so any oil that meets the MB 229.** specs & weight will do.

It has been around since 2017 in 2 form factors:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The M260 and M264 are turbocharged inline-four engines produced by Mercedes-Benz since 2017. M260 refers to the transverse configuration (for front-wheel drive models) while the M264 refers to the longitudinally mounted engine (for rear-wheel drive models).

I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution so I run Pennzoil Platinum 0W-40 in mine, but M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 are two other widely available choices as are various xW-30 flavors.

I would honestly go with a 0W/5W-40 that many MB's have run happily on for years upon years. Seems the 229.x1 specs are low-SAPS oils vs for example the 229.5 - meant mainly for emissions component (catalyst and particulate filter) protection. Seems MB switched from 229.5 to the 229.51 when they changed from the M274 turbo 4 to the M264 turbo 4 in 2018.

Interestingly enough it seems Mercedes has put a soot particulate filter on the M264 - thought this was a diesel only thing. They claim to be the first manufacturer with widespread use of a particulate filter on a gasoline engine.

Just make sure you don't mistaken 229.5 for 229.51. Your owners manual wants you to use the mid-SAPS versions of their oil approvals. Your standard 0W-40 oils you'll find at Walmart are 229.5 (full-SAPS).

A few good 229.51 oils (you'll find most are 5W-30):
- Total Quartz INEO MC3 and Long Life
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro L
- M1 ESP
- Castrol EDGE C3
- Liqui Moly Top tec 4200
- Motul 8100 X-Clean

Originally Posted by pezzy669
I would honestly go with a 0W/5W-40 that many MB's have run happily on for years upon years. Seems the 229.x1 specs are low-SAPS oils vs for example the 229.5 - meant mainly for emissions component (catalyst and particulate filter) protection. Seems MB switched from 229.5 to the 229.51 when they changed from the M274 turbo 4 to the M264 turbo 4 in 2018.

Interestingly enough it seems Mercedes has put a soot particulate filter on the M264 - thought this was a diesel only thing. They claim to be the first manufacturer with widespread use of a particulate filter on a gasoline engine.
My 2018 C300 owner's manual states either 229.5 or 229.6 so this could be a per model situation.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

My 2018 C300 owner's manual states either 229.5 or 229.6 so this could be a per model situation.

Interesting - did MB upgrade the C300 to the M264 that year? I know the C205 has both 274 and 264 but don't know when they changed. If they just changed oil specs on the M264 from one year to the next I would honestly stick with the high-SAPS 229.5 - but that is just me.

I would honestly go with a 0W/5W-40 that many MB's have run happily on for years upon years. Seems the 229.x1 specs are low-SAPS oils vs for example the 229.5 - meant mainly for emissions component (catalyst and particulate filter) protection. Seems MB switched from 229.5 to the 229.51 when they changed from the M274 turbo 4 to the M264 turbo 4 in 2018. Interestingly enough it seems Mercedes has put a soot particulate filter on the M264 - thought this was a diesel only thing. They claim to be the first manufacturer with widespread use of a particulate filter on a gasoline engine.
Interesting - did MB upgrade the C300 to the M264 that year? I know the C205 has both 274 and 264 but don't know when they changed. If they just changed oil specs on the M264 from one year to the next I would honestly stick with the high-SAPS 229.5 - but that is just me.
It looks like they did it 2017, but if there is one thing I have learned by owning 2 MB's over the past year is that consistency is not always apparent.

Thanks for replies. I'll pick a good synthetic 5w40 Euro oil that meets the spec.

All the recommended specs are mid-SAPS. Make sure you don't buy a full-SAPS 5W-40 (A3/B4). Most oils that meet your specs will also be dexos2.

By the way, 229.71 is a 0W-20.

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20

The rest are thick oils. Since it recommends anywhere from 0W-20 to 5W-40, it doesn't really care about the viscosity.

If that 0W-20 was available here, I would run it because unlike the 5W-40, it virtually has no VII, which is great for turbochargers, which don't like the VII.

Otherwise, 5W-30 with the correct spec is your best friend because it has less VII than a 5W-40.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/179202222

[Linked Image]

If I wasn't worried about warranty claims, I would run the M1 EP 0W-20 (also mid-SAPS), which shouldn't perform much different than the recommended M1 ESP x2 0W-20 despite less ZDDP, and call it a day.
wink.gif
Besides, unlike the ESP x2, EP is PAO-based.

If this same car was sold by a Japanese or American company, the recommended oil would be a regular ILSAC 0W-20 or perhaps a dexos1 Gen 2 5W-30.

... I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution ...

Ditto. Disposed of a GLA in part because of this. Use the highest viscosity xW-40 you can find. I found that to be Total Quartz 9000 Energy.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
If that 0W-20 was available here, I would run it because unlike the 5W-40, it virtually has no VII, which is great for turbochargers, which don't like the VII.
Oh please! MB has recommended and used xW-40 oils for decades with their turbocharged and non-turbocharged engines. All of their AMG engines have a requirement to use xW-40, yet somehow "turbochargers, which don't like the VII"? What does it not like? In addition, most, if not all. of these late model MB engines produce a lot of fuel dilution and an xW-20 would not be conducive to any manner of engine life--especially if following the MB OCI which is typically 10K miles.

Gokhan - you really need to stop trying to come across as a expert before some unsuspecting person reads this drivel and follows it.

Originally Posted by doyall
... I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution ...
Ditto. Disposed of a GLA in part because of this. Use the highest viscosity xW-40 you can find. I found that to be Total Quartz 9000 Energy.
HTHS 3.5 oils are plenty for this application. At most it might fuel dilute down to a HTHS 3.0 level or so, which is at or above MB 229.71 0w20 levels anyway. ......

I'd change the new factory oil out at 1,000 miles, leave the original oil filter in for a while longer, and re-fill with an oil stocked (or can-order) at Advance Auto Parts, or order from Amazon:

[Linked Image]

It has HTHS 3.5 which matches some 40 weight oils (this is a thick-side 0w30). Seems perfect for this Mercedes.
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-121218-0W-30-ESP-Motor/dp/B00OKK7YEQ or Advance Auto Parts too.

How can they say it's a "2020" when they start selling it in March 2019? Just doesn't seem right. I guess its been done a few times though.
Misleading for someone buying a barely-used car later, seeing the "2020 model" designation for a car manufactured in early 2019 is deceptive.

I'm guessing 5w40 Euro Synthetic would be in order due to the turbo. Any one have experience with selecting an oil weight for this engine. It's been around since 2018 i believe.

Turbos have great water cooling these days. Ring temperatures get higher. Lots of GM high power density turbo 4's running 0w20. Also BMW N20 turbo 4's with 0w20, etc.
Still, with possible fuel dilution, it couldn't hurt to try an HTHS 3.5 approved oil, like the M1 ESP 0w30 above.
[Linked Image]

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-the-piston-ring-region-1_fig2_271701360

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Thanks for replies. I'll pick a good synthetic 5w40 Euro oil that meets the spec.

All the recommended specs are mid-SAPS. Make sure you don't buy a full-SAPS 5W-40 (A3/B4). Most oils that meet your specs will also be dexos2.

By the way, 229.71 is a 0W-20.

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20

The rest are thick oils. Since it recommends anywhere from 0W-20 to 5W-40, it doesn't really care about the viscosity.

Otherwise, 5W-30 with the correct spec is your best friend because it has less VII than a 5W-40.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/179202222

If I wasn't worried about warranty claims, I would run the M1 EP 0W-20 (also mid-SAPS), which shouldn't perform much different than the recommended M1 ESP x2 0W-20 despite less ZDDP, and call it a day.
wink.gif
Besides, unlike the ESP x2, EP is PAO-based.

If this same car was sold by a Japanese or American company, the recommended oil would be a regular ILSAC 0W-20 or perhaps a dexos1 Gen 2 5W-30.

Have you qualified your "recommendations" against the OP's owner's manual and the Bevo site?

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

That is the single source of truth once the spec is defined from the manual and any applicable TSBs or manufacturer guidance.

Oh please! MB has recommended and used xW-40 oils for decades with their turbocharged and non-turbocharged engines. All of their AMG engines have a requirement to use xW-40, yet somehow "turbochargers, which don't like the VII"? What does it not like? In addition, most, if not all. of these late model MB engines produce a lot of fuel dilution and an xW-20 would not be conducive to any manner of engine life--especially if following the MB OCI which is typically 10K miles.

While Ghokan may be on to something in the theory of the overall context of VII use (lots of folks in lots of scenarios have speculated on this matter on here over the ages), I agree that we need to be very careful, particularly for a brand new-in warranty vehicle that the appropriate specs and oils are adhered to, unless the OP accepts full liability and likelihood that a warranty claim could be denied on this basis.

For the layperson, the bevo site is the source of truth, and discussions of VIIs or the right viscosity should be done under the context of the range of approved oils.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I agree that we need to be very careful, particularly for a brand new-in warranty vehicle that the appropriate specs and oils are adhered to, unless the OP accepts full liability and likelihood that a warranty claim could be denied on this basis.

That "warranty, use correct spec oil" concept comes up a lot. In this case, Mercedes, their specs are so high and stringent, its best to stick to that world, especially when mid or low saps is needed.

Does anybody know what the odds are of having a well-made Mercedes like this, or even a GM engine, have an engine failure due to oil?
I think its quite low, like 1 in 1,000 or so, maybe more rare than that. I usually say take a chance and use the oil you want.
Certainly one is safest using the Owner's Manual (OM) recomendation, no doubt.
The case gets more relevant with vehicles that have low-performing specs like the Chrysler or Ford ones, and the user wants to use an oil a little outside (or better!) than those.
Or when they want to use, say, a 0w30 in a vehicle where the OM says to only use 0w20.....

Good morning to all.

...I'm guessing 5w40 Euro Synthetic would be in order due to the turbo. Any one have experience with selecting an oil weight for this engine. It's been around since 2018 i believe...

Thanks

I think a 5W40 Euro Synthetic meeting the MB spec would be a safe bet.

RamAir5, ignore the posters who base their advice on personal experiences and go with the specs, which is mid-SAPS.

The dexos2/MB 229.51 PP 5W-30 is an optimal oil for this car. It's available at Walmart at a bargain price.

An A3/B4 full-SAPS 0W-40/5W-40 is a no - no if this car has a gasoline particulate filter.

A 229.51 5W-30 is already very thick. You don't need a 5W-40 with a lot of VII, which could increase the deposits.

Originally Posted by Shannow
A broken watch is at least right twice a day....but this scattergun approach to "authoritative" advice is dangerous to the unwitting recipient.

As I've said many times to you, stop projecting.

Moreover, is your new job at BITOG to criticize me instead of replying to the original poster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back