New Mercedes Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RamAir5 - can you post a picture of the oil specifications in your owners manual? The latest GLE owners manual posted on Mercedes' website is for a 2018 which calls for either 229.5 or 229.6 oils.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by doyall
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
... I find the engine produces quite a bit of fuel dilution ...
Ditto. Disposed of a GLA in part because of this. Use the highest viscosity xW-40 you can find. I found that to be Total Quartz 9000 Energy.
HTHS 3.5 oils are plenty for this application. At most it might fuel dilute down to a HTHS 3.0 level or so, which is at or above MB 229.71 0w20 levels anyway. ......

I'd change the new factory oil out at 1,000 miles, leave the original oil filter in for a while longer, and re-fill with an oil stocked (or can-order) at Advance Auto Parts, or order from Amazon:

[Linked Image]

It has HTHS 3.5 which matches some 40 weight oils (this is a thick-side 0w30). Seems perfect for this Mercedes.
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-121218-0W-30-ESP-Motor/dp/B00OKK7YEQ or Advance Auto Parts too.

How can they say it's a "2020" when they start selling it in March 2019? Just doesn't seem right. I guess its been done a few times though.
Misleading for someone buying a barely-used car later, seeing the "2020 model" designation for a car manufactured in early 2019 is deceptive.

I think there is no need to change the factory oil at 1k miles unless instructed so.

M1 ESP 0W-30 and PP Euro LX 0W-30 are great oils but pricey. The cheap PP Euro L 5W-30 should be sufficient. The main difference of the 0W-30 is that they carry additional specs, including the VW 504.00 with its intake-valve deposits test, and they are tested for fuel efficiency (ACEA C2). As a result, they probably have a lot of organic friction modifier, which increases the fuel efficiency and reduces the wear substantially.

I had bought my 2009 Corolla in February 2008. It was manufactured by NUMMI in Fremont in January 2008. The same car was sold outside US for at least a year before.

@RamAir5 - can you post a picture of the oil specifications in your owners manual? The latest GLE owners manual posted on Mercedes' website is for a 2018 which calls for either 229.5 or 229.6 oils.

Here's a pic of the book. Page 514.

[Linked Image]

Thanks RamAir5, interesting how Mercedes does not want full-saps oils anymore. And how they are all over the map on viscosities, since 229.71 is 0w-20. low HTHS around 2.7. .... The rest are thick HTHS 3.5 and up oils. Yep, any Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 or some 5w-30 229.51 oil of your favorite brand will do, just not the old 229.5 full-saps stuff.
On changing the oil at around 1,000 miles, or any time early, I like to do it because its nice to get any extra iron particles from a new engine out.
Other people say they can't tell the difference, leaving the FF oil in or changing early, in the way the engine runs or whatever, as if they could see inside an engine by standing next to it.

Originally Posted by RamAir5

Here's a pic of the book. Page 514.

[Linked Image]

Nice; lots of choices there and apparently quite a few changes in the engine and/or emissions system to need to switch from 229.5 or 229.6 in the 2018 models. I would want to know why the change in specifications before choosing an oil. Just food for thought...

Nice; lots of choices there and apparently quite a few changes in the engine and/or emissions system to need to switch from 229.5 or 229.6 in the 2018 models. I would want to know why the change in specifications before choosing an oil. Just food for thought...

Apparently, there is a GPF to begin with.

I don't think we'll see many full-SAPS recommendations for new models in the future. Mid-SAPS oils perform as well or better without the side effects of high SAPS. For example, the highly popular PAO-based German Castrol 0W-30 is now a mid-SAPS C3, however, not available in US yet. This is similar to the full-ZDDP oils of the past being no longer around.

More interesting is that 0W-20 is one of the recommended viscosities now.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Apparently, there is a GPF to begin with.

I don't think we'll see many full-SAPS recommendations for new models in the future. Mid-SAPS oils perform as well or better without the side effects of high SAPS. For example, the highly popular PAO-based German Castrol 0W-30 is now a mid-SAPS C3, however, not available in US yet. This is similar to the full-ZDDP oils of the past being no longer around.

More interesting is that 0W-20 is one of the recommended viscosities now.
I would want confirmation of a GPF. In a diesel engine, a particulate filter has an obvious use/need, not so much in a gasoline application. Funny, how in high density/high performance MB applications, full SAPS is still the requirement (not just a recommendation). Speaking for myself, and though I have used it exclusively in the past applications, there is no way I would run an xW-20 in any turbocharged engine--especially if it was GDI.

Originally Posted by Shannow
A broken watch is at least right twice a day....but this scattergun approach to "authoritative" advice is dangerous to the unwitting recipient.

Moreover, is your new job at BITOG to criticize me instead of replying to the original poster?

I think Shannow isn't after you, but rather he's making sure that the OP, and any other reader of the thread, has your advice within context.
The context being, you change your mind, and have supported different ideas at different times.

Originally Posted by SR5
And before that Gokhan was telling people how good M1 0W-40 was.

I still say that M1 0W-40 is a great oil. I never said that it was a bad oil. In fact, I would never say that any Exxon Mobil oil is a bad oil.

However, it's not optimal for my application, viscosity being unnecessarily high, which makes the car more sluggish at low throttle and lowers the fuel economy. I wouldn't necessarily mind the high SAPS in my case. The new FS version is probably even better.

Likewise, I never said that the ultra-high-VI Exxon Mobil TGMO 0W-20 was a bad oil, even though now, I'm running the PAO-based M1 0W-20 EP.

There are two things here: (1) What is the approved oil (mid-SAPS full synthetic -- not full-SAPS like M1 0W-40, Castrol 0W-40, or Pennzoil 5W-40 -- in OP's case, given the GPF in his M264 engine) and (2) what is the optimal oil given the choices and why.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMedia...aner-thanks-to-filter.xhtml?oid=14317014

I am not the only one who changes his mind. Look at the oil industry. Things used to be high ZDDP in the past and now we have low-ZDDP oils that achieve superior wear protection. Viscosities are getting lower. SAPS levels are falling. Magnesium is in in North American and Japanese oils and Europe will follow suit soon. These are just the few of the changes, a lot more happening constantly. If Shannow figured out what the best oil is in 1999 and he's sticking with it, it's good for him.
wink.gif

If Shannow figured out what the best oil is in 1999 and he's sticking with it, it's good for him.
wink.gif

This s where YOU demonstrate your superior, and inate understanding of .... "projection".

like Amsoil's marketting, I don't like junk pseudoscience foisted on questioning minds as fact....and I'll call it out

Edge 5W30 A3/B4....suited everything I had on the road and in the shed at the time (bar 2 strokes) ... entire fleet has been changed since then...

I really appreciate all the input. So I browsed the MB Bevo site recommended by Egg_Head and found an oil I'm a huge fan of. I'm a big Kendall Syn fan. Been using it for years and it has served me well. Kendall Euro + 5w30 is on the Bevo list. The 5w40 Kendall, interestingly enough, is not. So I contacted my oil guy and I have a few cases of the Euro + 5w30 on order. I figure if I use an oil that's approve on the list I'll be good.

Thanks again.

I really appreciate all the input. So I browsed the MB Bevo site recommended by Egg_Head and found an oil I'm a huge fan of. I'm a big Kendall Syn fan. Been using it for years and it has served me well. Kendall Euro + 5w30 is on the Bevo list. The 5w40 Kendall, interestingly enough, is not. So I contacted my oil guy and I have a few cases of the Euro + 5w30 on order. I figure if I use an oil that's approve on the list I'll be good.

Thanks again.

Yeah, the 5W-40 grade is usually A3/B4, which is full-SAPS, which may harm your gasoline particulate filter in particular among other things (pun intended). Any oil that meets the MB mid-SAPS specs in your manual should be fine. PP Euro L 5W-30 is only about $4 per quart at Walmart.

Thanks again.

Yeah, the 5W-40 grade is usually A3/B4, which is full-SAPS, which may harm your gasoline particulate filter in particular among other things (pun intended). Any oil that meets the MB mid-SAPS specs in your manual should be fine. PP Euro L 5W-30 is only about $4 per quart at Walmart.

Both Kendall 5W-30 and 5W-40 are ACEA A3/B4.

It's interesting that Chevron Havoline and Conoco/Phillips Kendall have a whole range of motor oils and most of us here pay attention to mainly ExxonMobil and Shell products.

So much for the monogamy.

Seriously, what is your problem...as I stated

Edge 5W30 A3/B4....suited everything I had on the road and in the shed at the time (bar 2 strokes) ... ENTIRE FLEET HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN..

Here's what's going in my Colorado next service

Oz has a wide range of C3, Dexos2, MB, VW, and BMW approved oils.

Current fleet is Dexos2 or C3...so that's what I'm using.

Edge 5W30 A3/B4 was/is a good oil, available nearly anywhere, and on ragingly good specials for a synthetic....It went in My Nissan ZD30 diesel, my L67 Cparice, and my lawn equipment.

Now I have DIFFERENT NEEDS, due to the ENTIRE FLEET HAVING CHANGED...specials on the Dexos 2 are not as frequent....so I had a bunch of Helix 5W30 AG for $45/5L (now gone), some Penrtite Enviro 5W40 (Buy 2x6L for 40% off), Magnatec DX (10L for $85), and will be trying the Caltex 5W40 next OCI, as I suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back