New Mercedes Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
That's an amazing price. Where do you order it?

A Friend of mine owns a very successful local shop. He uses Kendall products exclusively. I order a few cases when he orders his.

Base oils according to MSDSs:

Castrol 0W-30 C3: PAO-based
Castrol 0W-40 C3: PAO-based
Kendall Euro+ 5W-30 C3: 1/3 PAO (likely sourced from Exxon Mobil), 2/3 Group III MSDS
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30: GTL & Group III with a dash of PAO
Mercedes - Benz 5W-30 229.52 made by Exxon Mobil: Group III & GTL with no PAO MSDS
Castrol 5W-30 C3: Group III MSDS

Kendall has a better base oil than most others, containing about 1/3 PAO, and you got it at an incredibly low wholesale price.

Great choice!

01.gif

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Base oils according to MSDSs:

Castrol 0W-30 C3: PAO-based
Castrol 0W-40 C3: PAO-based
Kendall Euro+ 5W-30 C3: 1/3 PAO (likely sourced from Exxon Mobil), 2/3 Group III MSDS
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30: GTL & Group III with a dash of PAO
Mercedes - Benz 5W-30 229.52 made by Exxon Mobil: Group III & GTL with no PAO MSDS
Castrol 5W-30 C3: Group III MSDS

Kendall has a better base oil than most others, containing about 1/3 PAO, and you got it at an incredibly low wholesale price.

Great choice!

01.gif

And this matters why?

Originally Posted by edyvw
And this matters why?

I'm sure, as usual, you're not asking this question in good faith.

This is an oil forum and people are interested in knowing what kind of base oil is in their oil and who makes their OEM oil, as in the case of MB OEM 229.52 made by Exxon Mobil.

In fact, you praised the PAO-based German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 a while back yourself, which I am not criticizing. So, I don't understand why you appear to dismiss any discussion of base oils.

I used M1 last 10 years, in Mazda (5W30) in VW Passat 1.8T (0W40) and now both CC and Tiguan. I used also Pennzoil, Pentosin, M1 5W30 ESP, Motul, Castrol 5W40, 0W30, 0W40. of all oils by far, the best performance was with 0W30 Castrol, and now 0W40. Smoother engine starts (never rattling noise in cold, really cold start), smoother when I take it to Pikes Peak, smoother at stop light, when cold on low rpms, when hot at low rpms and when hot especially at high rpms. Does that mean that M1 is providing less lubrication? No, I am confident that M1 will protect engine to the fullest. But, is it the best oil out there? Not sure. I am traditional driver, and I like when oil has smooth cold starts, and runs smoother. Since I generally do not trust any big corporations, I take numbers by M1 and especially Castrol, as good read, and that is it. Unless I am satisfied how my engine sounds, I am not using it.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
And this matters why?

I'm sure, as usual, you're not asking this question in good faith.

This is an oil forum and people are interested in knowing what kind of base oil is in their oil and who makes their OEM oil, as in the case of MB OEM 229.52 made by Exxon Mobil.

In fact, you praised the PAO-based German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 a while back yourself, which I am not criticizing. So, I don't understand why you appear to dismiss any discussion of base oils.

I used M1 last 10 years, in Mazda (5W30) in VW Passat 1.8T (0W40) and now both CC and Tiguan. I used also Pennzoil, Pentosin, M1 5W30 ESP, Motul, Castrol 5W40, 0W30, 0W40. of all oils by far, the best performance was with 0W30 Castrol, and now 0W40. Smoother engine starts (never rattling noise in cold, really cold start), smoother when I take it to Pikes Peak, smoother at stop light, when cold on low rpms, when hot at low rpms and when hot especially at high rpms. Does that mean that M1 is providing less lubrication? No, I am confident that M1 will protect engine to the fullest. But, is it the best oil out there? Not sure. I am traditional driver, and I like when oil has smooth cold starts, and runs smoother. Since I generally do not trust any big corporations, I take numbers by M1 and especially Castrol, as good read, and that is it. Unless I am satisfied how my engine sounds, I am not using it.

Yes, I did praise PAO Based Castrol 0W30, BUT because end result is great. Mobil1 ESP Formula had also GREAT result, but it was Group III oil. And I praised that oil and exhaustively used it in my BMW diesel.
If oil is approved it will be OK. By the way, I am not sure it helps giving option of Castrol 0W30/40 C3 when those oils cannot be bought in the North America.
By the way, numerous great oils are missing from that list.

Last edited:
So I completed my first oil change with the Kendall Euro+ 5w30 (4k miles). Engine seems to like it. This MB 2.0 turbo ran a little raspy (although I've read that MB motors tend to run a little more angrily than Asian motors). Runs smoother now. Could be placebo effect but it does seem to run a little smoother. Time will tell I guess.

This oil will be my first choice for the MB. Like I stated earlier, I've been using Kendall GT-1 full syn in my vehicles for many years. I run it exclusively in my new RAM. I was experiencing a slight Hemi tick for a few seconds on startup before my first oil change to Kendall. Now zero tick and it runs butter smooth. I don't run 5w20 like RAM recommends, though. I run 5w30 with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back