New dishwasher on order...

The modern dishwashers are incredible. Ours is a Samsung and it's the same experience. Very quiet, cleans very well and dries even though it doesn't have a heating element. The only way you can tell it's working is by the water sounds in the pipe while intaking or the sounds in the drain.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I hear Bosch makes good dishwashers. I just replaced my 12 yr old kitchenaid...ended up buying a cheap whirlpool wdfpadm540 unit (cheap and rated well by consumer reports) plastic interior, stainless exterior. Besides being a bit louder (53db) than my kitchenaid , it cleans great, we only use the 1hr cycle too. My logic is...if it breaks i just replace. Sadly..thats where we are at nowadays. Good luck with ur Bosch, hope it lasts!

I have this exact Whirlpool model and have noticed a funky smell coming from it and the dishes/glassware after a wash. Glasses also come out cloudy.

Have you noticed this? Cleaning the filters seemed to help for a while but not anymore.

Last edited:
Mieles like Bosch also have no drying element, Asko is the same.

In these "euro" units the water is heated underneath the floor of the interior vs an exposed wire that warps any plastic next to it.

These units typically have SS interior and do a heated final rinse and condense the water on he walls of the unit to dry the dishes.

Rinse aid is a big part of the process, but if the water is soft enough Ive turned it down to 1 ML a load.

If the glasses are coming out cloudy put some Lemi shine (citric acid) in the wash or do a vinegar clean out

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Okay UD, I'll do a vinegar clean out today and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

On the vinegar clean out - take a glass measuring cup or other suitably heavy receptacle and put it upright on the top shelf and fill it.

Over the course of the wash it will continually spill over making sure the solution stays in the machine vs getting pumped out right away.

UD

The-Organised-Housewife-How-to-Clean-a-dishwasher-2.jpg

Last edited:
I did something similar to your instructions. I put a glass dishwasher safe bowl on the bottom rack and filled it less than an inch from the top with vinegar on a normal cycle.

I started before seeing this but should have the same effect. Thank you.

Last edited:
I did something similar to your instructions. I put a glass dishwasher safe bowl on the bottom rack and filled it less than an inch from the top with vinegar on a normal cycle.

I started before seeing this but should have the same effect. Thank you.

That'll get er done. Same basic thing with the exception of the proximity to heat, which may actually work better.

Some guys will follow up with a baking soda wash, but I've never bothered.

Lemi shine or citric acid (cheaper) will also help keep the nasties at bay.
You dont want to to clean with vin or citric too often as you can start to decompose things, but every now and then its just what you need to cut some grease.

UD

Okay thanks. Just curious, how do you use the citric acid?

Fill the the soap/detergent tray if doing a cleaning

- or if dealing with cloudy glassware drop a teaspoon of it or so into the tray with normal wash soap.

UD

Okay thank you. After the vinegar clean out the smell coming from the dishwasher doesn't seem as strong. The real test is if the smell still transfers to the dishes and glasses after a wash. I will probably end up doing a test run in the next day or so.

I put in a high end GE a few years ago, had both odor and spotted/dirty dishes. First was to figure out that you have to use liquid detergent, you can't use powder, it doesn't dissolve in the new machines. Second is a rinse aid, I'm not big on using such things, instead I used white vinegar.

In this particular machine, it required about 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons of liquid detergent, any less the dishes were not clean, any more there was a soap residue on the dishes. About 1/2 cup of white vinegar was added to the final rinse to provide clean, streak/spot free dishes. The final part of the puzzle was to clean the debris strainer after every load. With this regimen, no odor and clean dishes. I will also add that the dishes were virtually completely hand washed before going into the machine, so there was no stuck on debris and no large chunks that the machine had to manage.

If you don't want to set a timer and add vinegar at the last rinse, then using the container full within the machine for the "time release" benefit will suffice.

I'll try liquid soap to see if things improve, right now I'm alternating from powder to all-in-one pods based on soil type. I'm afraid vinegar may cause long term damage when filling the rinse aid compartment so in my previous machine I was doing the time release thing with vinegar but haven't on this newer model, maybe I'll start again.

I found that cleaning the filters after every load kept the odour at bay but that no longer helps. I also clean the sludge build up at the base of the interior door liner after several months where it meets the dishwasher tub. The dishes and utensils are all scraped and wiped down but not washed before loading.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm afraid vinegar may cause long term damage when filling the rinse aid compartment so in my previous machine I was doing the time release thing with vinegar but haven't on this newer model, maybe I'll start again.

In mine, the soap cup would not wash out, so I didn't use it. In fact, the machine couldn't decide if it was just going to run a complete cycle or if it was going to "rinse" for a couple minutes then spit the water out. So, I'd start it with no soap, after I knew it wasn't going to drain I'd squirt the soap on the surface of the door, making sure it was in a spot where it'd get plenty of spray to get it throughout the machine.

Once final rinse came around, I'd again open the door and then use the soap cup as the measuring device for the vinegar. Close it up, let it finish out, then immediately open and air dry the dishes.

My old Whirlpool was not working properly, I replaced it with another whirlpool.
I took the old whirlpool apart and found the main motor was made by Bosch!

Just came back from a bulk food store hoping to buy citric acid but they only sell it prepackaged, so I'll keep looking. I picked up some English wine gums, jujubes, baking powder and pancake mix so it wasn't a waste of a trip but certainly a waste of money. Baking powder is hard to find lately.

Last edited:
Did a baking soda wash but still getting an odour coming out of the dishwasher and off the dishes after a recent load. Next step is the time release of vinegar for the final rinse.

Back