Dishwasher Recommendations

Something like this would work, although I think you have to pay extra for the smiling model😜

In all seriousness though, the only dishwasher I had trouble with was Samsung and it wasn’t its reliability, but rather its bottom seal design that would trap food and make it stink real bad. And to add insult to injury it was difficult to clean that area because of that stupid seal.

View attachment 121892

Caution! This model may be smiling now but may not age so gracefully. Older models can require extensive and costly maintenance to remain productive. Safest route is the Bosch ;)

We bought a Kitchen Aid dishwasher 03/2019. It did a really nice job being used 1-2x per day and it was really quiet and worked well right up to last Tuesday when it failed to run a cycle. We had the repairman out yesterday and the motor failed (he stated it's a well-known issue), there was a code for the circuit board too, and it would cost+$500 to fix which doesn't make sense and even if we wanted to replace parts he wouldn't be able to get the motor for months. Sigh...

He doesn't sell machines so he really has no dog in this fight but he recommended we replace the unit with a Bosch. He said he rarely needs to fix them and they are one of the easiest machines to get parts for and fix.

Online reviews for Bosch 300 series and up are very good. The only common complaint is the 300 series and 500 series don't dry plastic all that well and it is often still wet. I guess these do not have a heating element and use some other way of drying?

Anyone have experience with Bosch dishwashers?

Thanks in advance!
My two- year old Whirlpool did the same thing. Stopped drying and within three weeks won't turn the spray arms. Of course its out of warranty

I really like my Bosch dishwasher. The upper end ones having a heating element which solves any dishes not being dry complaints.
Almost impossible to find any 800-series dishwashers but the drying shouldn't be an issue.

I have a Thermador going on 9 years old now with almost daily use and a 6 year old Kenmore in the basement that gets weekly use. I like the Thermador, very quiet and it has a cabinet front on it to match the rest of the kitchen. That wooden front maybe even cuts down on the noise some. The rinse aid dispenser seems kind of small, but that’s my only complaint. The Kenmore is definitely louder but not like the ones I grew up with.

A lot of the Miele dishwashers sold in the US have plastic tubs now, I just looked at one yesterday. Sad but they have seemed to sell out
The one my parents recently bought has a stainless tub. We have a Bosch, it has a plastic tub, no complaints about it so far.

A lot of the Miele dishwashers sold in the US have plastic tubs now, I just looked at one yesterday. Sad but they have seemed to sell out

Yeah...I dont think so.

Can you find one of these online and show me?

I have never once seen a miele with a plastic tub.

I replaced a 25 year old unit that was damaged by the tenant with the lowest end model just 3 months ago and it was SS.

I did a ton of research last year. ended up with a maytag from costco.
it is rated louder because it has a drain food chopper that runs a very short time.
Can barely hear it full SS inside. Racks arent perfect but not annoying either.

Cleans well. Drys well. Does take 3hours for a full "powerblast" cycle with high temp water, sanitize cycle, and short heated dry.

Costco's install guy canceled on me so they gave me some $$$ back. Installed it myself in an hour.
it was around 750 before sale and cash back. (iirc final price was about 375$)

Run every other day. Been flawless nice upgrade from builder grade pos GE that worked.. but below average.

If you go bosch you are in a whole different $$$$ price bracket. Their high end models are really nice but when I was looking there were NO deals.. and inventory was nonexistant.

Yeah...I dont think so.

Can you find one of these online and show me?

I have never once seen a miele with a plastic tub.

I replaced a 25 year old unit that was damaged by the tenant with the lowest end model just 3 months ago and it was SS.
How about if I take a picture and post it here tomorrow? Then what? I will admit I should not have said "a lot" as I don't know the market that well.
I posted above I saw it with my own eye's, I don't appreciate the insinuation.

So I am going to eat huge crow right now and say it was not a Miele. It was Fisher Paykel.
My bad my bad

Last edited:
How about if I take a picture and post it here tomorrow? Then what?

Then I'm wrong, and I don't mind being set straight if I am.

I find no model on their website with a plastic tub.

I have two homes filled with miele products, and am very familiar with the brand.

I did a ton of research last year. ended up with a maytag from costco.
it is rated louder because it has a drain food chopper that runs a very short time.
Can barely hear it full SS inside. Racks arent perfect but not annoying either.

Cleans well. Drys well. Does take 3hours for a full "powerblast" cycle with high temp water, sanitize cycle, and short heated dry.

Costco's install guy canceled on me so they gave me some $$$ back. Installed it myself in an hour.
it was around 750 before sale and cash back. (iirc final price was about 375$)

Run every other day. Been flawless nice upgrade from builder grade pos GE that worked.. but below average.

If you go bosch you are in a whole different $$$$ price bracket. Their high end models are really nice but when I was looking there were NO deals.. and inventory was nonexistant.

Does it have an exposed heating element as well?

I prefer filter units vs units with a grinder.

How about if I take a picture and post it here tomorrow? Then what?

Then I'm wrong, and I don't mind being set straight if I am.

I find no model on their website with a plastic tub.

I have two homes filled with miele products, and am very familiar with the brand.
You're not wrong, I was. I edited my above post it was Fisher Paykel. I'm having a senior moment.

You're not wrong, I was. I edited my above post it was Fisher Paykel. I'm having a senior moment.

On the senior topic - not bending over to move dishes in and out of the washer is appealing and a thing I like about the FP,
Bigger thing is as you discovered the plastic tubs are a turn off especially with the lack of a real drying element.

Last edited:
Does it have an exposed heating element as well?

I prefer filter units vs units with a grinder.
yes it has a heating element in the bottom, and filter then grinder.
The grinder runs a very short time so I'd say its more a plus to me than an annoyance.

Not saying its the best.. I'm saying its an excellent buy in the 500-600$ range on sale.

If you want to throw down on miele or a bosch 800 series.. well yea $$$$ vs $$$

So far my maytag has been flawless for 18months.. a relatively short time.

I looked up the price it was 499+tax =532-150 customer service credit. -2% on 532 = $372
typical price on sale is around 650 but can be found cheaper.. (costco has it 250 off currently)

It does a great job cleaning and drying.. I do rinse off the loose chunks but no major precleaning.
I dont feel the need to load it with dishes covered with mac and cheese or spaghetti etc.

Last edited:
Back