Dishwasher Recommendations

We bought a Kitchen Aid dishwasher 03/2019. It did a really nice job being used 1-2x per day and it was really quiet and worked well right up to last Tuesday when it failed to run a cycle. We had the repairman out yesterday and the motor failed (he stated it's a well-known issue), there was a code for the circuit board too, and it would cost+$500 to fix which doesn't make sense and even if we wanted to replace parts he wouldn't be able to get the motor for months. Sigh...

He doesn't sell machines so he really has no dog in this fight but he recommended we replace the unit with a Bosch. He said he rarely needs to fix them and they are one of the easiest machines to get parts for and fix.

Online reviews for Bosch 300 series and up are very good. The only common complaint is the 300 series and 500 series don't dry plastic all that well and it is often still wet. I guess these do not have a heating element and use some other way of drying?

Anyone have experience with Bosch dishwashers?

Thanks in advance!

I have been running my current Bosch for over 5 years now and would replace it with another Bosch if needed. Quiet, cleans well, but yes not the best dryer out there.

Zero streaks or any spots with Finish Max (Bosch recommended) detergents.

The Bosch units do not have a heating element. Do a bunch of research. Color or exterior finish will also play a role. You can get a bad unit in any brand. I have always had good luck with Whirlpool made products. Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchen Aid. GE makes good units. Frigidaire/Electrolux are probably going to have more problems. I would avoid LG and Samsung.

Our former Bosch was twenty years old when the board went. Wish we replaced with another board.

The GE we bought us loud. We never knew the Bosch was running.

We have a Bosch. It's our second one (first one was a Kenmore brand made by Bosch). We sold the house and left that one behind.

I can't say enough good things about them. They get dishes really clean, quiet, easy to use, etc. I have no hesitation in recommending a Bosch.

Consumer Reports has consistently rated the cheapest Bosch as their top choice (even over Bosch's more expensive models) so that's what we bought. It has a plastic tub instead of stainless steel and a simpler and better rack system. We really like it.

1X-2X times a day is heavy use. I would see if a commercial rated dishwasher would fit into your available space. In your case, you also might want to look into some sort of extended warranty program on your new unit.

My mother used Bosch for years and never had a problem. The issue with plastics is that they don't retain heat so condensation drying (stainless steel interior) doesn't work for them. Hence the need for a drying element.

Appliances are hit or miss year to year. I always point people to this business out of New England because they base their ranking on units they've sold.

Last edited:
Online reviews for Bosch 300 series and up are very good. The only common complaint is the 300 series and 500 series don't dry plastic all that well and it is often still wet. I guess these do not have a heating element and use some other way of drying?
Concerning drying: We have a Bosch. I know it doesn't have a heating element but somehow the dishes will be really hot when it's done. Too hot to handle actually. Our hot water is quite hot and it must retain that heat? We run the tap in the sink before we start it so that the initial water will be hot. Naturally you have to load things so they don't collect water, and cups that have a concave bottom will still be wet on top. We just routinely pat the tops of cups dry with a towel. It's really no big deal. Everything else will be dry.

We run our dishwasher not quite once a day, probably 3 times in 4 days.

The rinse aid tank seems to be kind of small and you have to top it up about every 10 washes. But that's only a nit-pick. It runs 10 minutes longer if you don't add rinse aid.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same machine again.

Something like this would work, although I think you have to pay extra for the smiling model😜

In all seriousness though, the only dishwasher I had trouble with was Samsung and it wasn’t its reliability, but rather its bottom seal design that would trap food and make it stink real bad. And to add insult to injury it was difficult to clean that area because of that stupid seal.

1DDE036B-30C3-48E0-9D46-3841CFDD8E05.jpeg

We have a highly recommended Thermador, going on 2 years. It works well so far. No badges on the exterior; apparently this is important to allow it to "match" the GE oven and fridge.
I had to install too many crappy Bosch auto parts back in the day; the sight of it still induces nausea lol. Won't have it in the house.

I really like my Bosch dishwasher. The upper end ones having a heating element which solves any dishes not being dry complaints.

Bosch dishwashers have a flow through heating element to heat the water during the cycles, but no heating element to dry dishes. Mine has been quiet and 100% reliable in the 7 years that we have had it. I'll be building a new home in a few years and I'll have another Bosch in the kitchen.

Kitchen Aid. Not surprising. This house came with a Whirlpool. Seems to have firmware issues............

Bosch is the way to go. Installed at the old house, perfect.

We have a Bosch and frankly they have everyone else beat hands down. Make sure you keep surfactant in the reservoir. The surfactant makes a huge difference in cleaning the dishes and the inside of the dishwasher.

We have a Bosch. It will probably be the last Bosch we will ever buy.
Had the thing for about a month and the control panel (the LED) went out.
Well, not only the whole control panel, but the finish started flaking off the control panel.
I called up Bosch. They weren't going to replace either, claiming the warranty on those pieces was only 30 days.
We were at something like 34 days of ownership, and it sat in my kitchen in the crate for 16 days, until our plumber could get to the install.
I ended up working my way up the ladder, and fortunately as a "Goodwill Gesture" replaced the LED and the offending piece of metal.
Fortunately, no other problems in the last 6 years or so.
We don't like the racks are set up, our Pfalzgraff dishware would not fit properly.
OK, a hundo for new dishes.
The good: It does clean well and is reasonably quiet. However, it is not as quiet as the Whirlpool we had previously.
When the manufacturer sent Bosch guy came out to repair the unit, I asked him what brand he would recommend.
His answer: Whirlpool.
We really liked the Whirlpool we had before this Bosch. We don't hate the Bosch enough to not use it up.
However, I doubt there will be another.

Bosch and Miele are some of the best appliances you can get period. Double check the exact model for know issues but that's the way to go.

For the plastic drying that's going to be an issue most dishwashers these days especially if it's energy star. You can still get ones with elements but they tend to be the cheaper models. Rinse aid really helps with that as does just popping the door open for 20 minutes after the cycle is done.

We have a now 15 year old builder installed Whirlpool dishwasher, not bottom of the line but maybe not much higher than that.
Yeah, you will hear it running, we could care less, its washing the dishes instead of us.
Never a problem, dishes and glass always spotless. Number of settings, heated drying ect.
We dont use it as much as the OP maybe twice a week now, more when before the kids grew up and got their own place. Never needed a repair or maintenance of any kind.

When we buy our own stuff refrigerators, washer,s dryers we try to buy the best we can but REALLY try to avoid too many features, I dont know, maybe just luck but all our appliances are now 16 years old and still work and look like new. But back then, you could buy like we did, "Elite" washer and dryers and refrigerators that were not loaded with so much useless extras rather they were better constructed than todays junk.

We are now shopping for what will be a new house in a few months and I am shocked at how cheap some of these appliances feel now, yet loaded with options we will never use. My wife and I couldn't believe that looking at nice Whirlpool refrigerators you could actually see the door hinges flexing when opening and closing the door! Over to the washers, same kind of cheap feel.
We just want our clothes washed and dried, food kept cold with a well made ice maker, dont want bluetooth or wifi and wont connect it if the model we buy has it either. I mean come on already! *LOL*

Last edited:
We have a Bosch Ascenta seven years old. Has a heating element (that cannot be turned off) so we don't really have the issues of plastic items not drying. Will be replacing with a Bosch when it goes out.

We also have a Kitchenaid in another house we own, and it is about six years old. No issues, no repairs needed so far.

Last edited:
Back