New dishwasher on order...

We replaced a 1980s kitchen aid which was super reliable, tough and somewhat loud. Got a high end Bosch when we redid our kitchen. Super satisfied, and you can't really tell it's operating when in there. The dishwasher operating in the kitchen never bothered me when it was loud, but it's nice to not hear it.

Thank you for the responses, glad to hear many of you have had a good experience with Bosch dishwashers.

We have a Bosch 800 series with the third rack. It also has a red light. I wish the light displayed numbers with time remaining, but maybe in the future. Ours doesn't have wifi or similar features, which I think is ridiculous for a small house. Our previous one lasted for 12 years and had an external display, and still worked when we replaced it but it was a bit noisy after a pump replacement.

The new one is so quiet you can barely hear it. The only loud noise is when the dirty water goes into the garbage disposal. You should load it with the plates scraped but not rinsed, it cleans better that way. You have to clean the filter after every cycle or two. Ours get some yellow goo in the filter trap from congealed/suspended fats, and there is usually some debris as well.

The best features are the more efficient rack, the ability to put plastic items anywhere, and the small upper rack for utensils. I also like the delay timer so you can use cheaper electricity if you have time of day service. Even if you don't most of our power comes from nuclear at night so less pollution. You will be very happy with your Bosch, no matter which model you bought. They all clean well.

Last edited:
I have a standard BOSH (SHE4AP) bought new in 2013. I absolutely luv it. Super quiet, cleans great and simple. I only run the quick wash option that runs about 1/2 hour. No need for any other cycle besides the quick wash. Once a month since I bought it I will run a Cascade Platinum Dishwasher Cleaner pack/pod. Even use generic dishwasher powder (Great Value) and recommend just rinsing the plates/dishes off first alittle.

When we redid our kitchen last summer, we got the Whirlpool WDT750SAHZ dishwasher. We do run it on the maximum clean setting, but for $550, it seems a good deal. Much quieter than the builder grade unit it replaced.

We have an open floor plan kitchen, dining and living room, so quiet was our first consideration for our dishwasher.

We're having a new Bosch 500 series installed tomorrow. It's replacing an LG that's about 15-16 years old which is starting to leak and the door springs are broken.

We're on our second Bosch. We bought a Kenmore brand made by Bosch (and identical to Bosch brand products) for our last house. Kenmore was selling out of these products and we got it for a good price. It was flawless over the 5 - 7 years we owned the house.

So when the dishwasher failed in our new to us house (meaning it needed a too expensive part) we did a little research and bought the cheapest Bosch brand available. That was Consumer Reports top recommendation. We've had one problem with it. The rotor on a small plastic pump was damaged due to hard debris (bits of glass maybe) having gotten into it. A replacement pump assembly was a low cost part (+/- $25) and easy to replace.

I'm sold on Bosch dishwashers. They're very quiet, they wash dishes well, and they're fairly trouble free.

I hear Bosch makes good dishwashers. I just replaced my 12 yr old kitchenaid...ended up buying a cheap whirlpool wdfpadm540 unit (cheap and rated well by consumer reports) plastic interior, stainless exterior. Besides being a bit louder (53db) than my kitchenaid , it cleans great, we only use the 1hr cycle too. My logic is...if it breaks i just replace. Sadly..thats where we are at nowadays. Good luck with ur Bosch, hope it lasts!

I sense in your initial post some concern about the lack of a heating element. Our (basic) Bosch has no heating element either. We preheat the intake water (meaning we run the tap in the sink until it's hot) and then let it work. The dishes dry very well except that sometimes there will be water sitting on top of (upside down) cups. But a few swipes with a towel and everything is fine.

My wife pointed out another issue we've had with our Bosch. One day the read-out was scrambled. She rebooted it by turning off the breaker and it was fine again. Pretty minor issue actually.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I sense in your initial post some concern about the lack of a heating element. Our (basic) Bosch has no heating element either. We preheat the intake water (meaning we run the tap in the sink until it's hot) and then let it work. The dishes dry very well except that sometimes there will be water sitting on top of (upside down) cups. But a few swipes with a towel and everything is fine.

My wife pointed out another issue we've had with our Bosch. One day the read-out was scrambled. She rebooted it by turning off the breaker and it was fine again. Pretty minor issue actually.

Good to hear yours is working well for you. From what I have read, they do have an internal heating element, just not an element specifically for drying. We purchased a 500 series that has Air Dry (it pops the door open automatically after a wash).

Last edited:
We purchased a 500 series that has Air Dry (it pops the door open automatically after a wash).

Yeah I mean it's alot of work just opening the door by hand.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
We purchased a 500 series that has Air Dry (it pops the door open automatically after a wash).

lol.gif

An auto door popper is a great idea! If you run it at night or when you're not home, it can open the door to allow the dishes to air dry.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

lol.gif

An auto door popper is a great idea! If you run it at night or when you're not home, it can open the door to allow the dishes to air dry.

Ours doesn't have an auto door popper but our dishes are very warm and quite dry (except for occasional water siting on top of cups). We're quite fussy about our cupboards (it's a new custom kitchen) so if they're wet we dry off the bottoms before putting them away.

I can't really speak for Bosch. I don't even remember looking at them. We had the same situation with our house. All of the appliances were new aside from the dishwasher. It lasted 6 months. Lol.

My biggest thing is how easily the drawers open. Perhaps it's because they were store models, but it sure seemed like they didn't guide freely on many models. Always got lodged on the way in and out.

Seems like many of them try too hard to make them look fancy too. Somewhat annoying IMO.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I can't really speak for Bosch. I don't even remember looking at them. We had the same situation with our house. All of the appliances were new aside from the dishwasher. It lasted 6 months. Lol.

My biggest thing is how easily the drawers open. Perhaps it's because they were store models, but it sure seemed like they didn't guide freely on many models. Always got lodged on the way in and out.

Seems like many of them try too hard to make them look fancy too. Somewhat annoying IMO.

Yes, it bugs me when the drawers are difficult to open and close. The top rack on the Bosch has wheels with ball bearings, they are supposed to glide easily. We will see.

Update. We have had the new Bosch for 4 days now and loving it. It operates very quiet at 44 decibels. We run it during the day now and you hardly even notice it. Dishes have come out clean and even drier than our previous dishwasher WHICH HAD a drying element, this one does not yet dishes come out drier. We are very impressed.

Heres to hoping it lasts us quite a while, considering it was a hair under $1000.

We just remodeled our kitchen which included all new appliances. For the DW, we went with the Bosch 800. Have been really impressed by it so far! Quiet and dishes come out very clean. No complaints here! Replaced a GE dishwasher that was decent, but this one is far superior. We really like it.

Last edited:
Back