New Car New Oil Changes (Toyota Content)

When I changed out the FF, It had sat about 10 mins after a 20 mile drive. The oil that got on my fingertips was barely warm. I don't think the engine is highly stressed.
You bring up an interesting point. Recently, I read that for engines using 0W-16 oil, the oil temp is somehow kept lower in order for the oil to maintain a higher viscosity. I read this in passing, but your comment suggests that it may be worth looking into.

I know that the new Toyotas have complex cooling systems that direct coolant to where it's needed at different times during the operation of an engine, although I don't have much information on the specifics of the process.

Let me jump head first into this pool. Our fleet at work consist of 30+ Corollas and Prius. All have 10k changes at the dealer and we have cars with over 550k miles on them with zero issues. Our building manager is on his third Tundra, his last one he gave to his son at 300k two years ago and he drive 60 miles a day. 10k OCI as well.
I have a 2021 Tundra that just got its first OC with 7,788 miles because that's all I drove the last 12 months and will stay on this schedule

Last edited:
You bring up an interesting point. Recently, I read that for engines using 0W-16 oil, the oil temp is somehow kept lower in order for the oil to maintain a higher viscosity. I read this in passing, but your comment suggests that it may be worth looking into.

I know that the new Toyotas have complex cooling systems that direct coolant to where it's needed at different times during the operation of an engine, although I don't have much information on the specifics of the process.
The day I changed oil it was about 50°. I drove to the store and back 9.5 miles each way. All I did was park, get the ramps, drive onto the ramps and grab the proper tools and paper towels. . The 10 min I quoted earlier was probably 6 or 7 min. in reality. I put on gloves and the oil was about the temp of "very hot" bath water. My guess was it was about 120°. Didn't notice any fuel smell in the oil.

Where you really notice the distribution effect is when you want heat, you can shut off the passenger side and the heat on the drivers side gets warm noticeably faster. According to "The Car Car Nut" this engine is sending oil to various places when the computer thinks it needs more or less. There are no belts on the engine. The video is a good explanation of this new generation engine. It is made in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5L sizes.

Where you really notice the distribution effect is when you want heat, you can shut off the passenger side and the heat on the drivers side gets warm noticeably faster. According to "The Car Car Nut" this engine is sending oil to various places when the computer thinks it needs more or less. There are no belts on the engine. The video is a good explanation of this new generation engine. It is made in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5L sizes.
Can you link that video?

The tech is right, Toyota 10k oil change is for ideal driving conditions that mostly involve highway driving. A lot of people do short trips, prolonged idling in traffic, and engines are diluted with gas (thanks to GDI) and etc. If you fall into these (severe) driving conditions and you are DIY, just buy Kirkland at costco for $15 and change the oil (keep same filter) at 5k miles and call it a day. Its like 10min. Not sure what is the point to fight it.

Wow….again, let’s trust some random tech with a very weird accent giving us advice that goes against what the engineers spec for a car.

1. He is not random tech. 2. Dont need to trust his advice.

Keep driving 10k, or even 20k without oil change, its your car and your choice
1. I don’t see Toyota acknowledging him for anything. Nor does he old patents or have design work under his belt

2. I won’t, that would be like listening to old wives tales

1. I don’t see Toyota acknowledging him for anything. Nor does he old patents or have design work under his belt

2. I won’t, that would be like listening to old wives tales

Nowhere Toyota states that 10K OCI can be used for severe service operation. But as I said, its your car & your choice.

Nowhere Toyota states that 10K OCI can be used for severe service operation. But as I said, its your car & your choice.
Yeah, I’m not a taxi, police officer, or off-road construction vehicle. All is good

Yeah, I’m not a taxi, police officer, or off-road construction vehicle. All is good
These are not the only conditions that put car in "severe service" category. Short trips that result in oil dilution and etc. The tech simply stated that if you do not fall into "normal" driving conditions, 10K OCI might be too long.

Back