New Car New Oil Changes (Toyota Content)

And then go over to the maintenance forum and there's a new thread showing valve covers removed on a Cruze 1.4T with 150k miles that was run with mostly 10k OCIs and it looks as good as new.
But it’s a 4 cylinder turbo! And a GM product! And Castrol Wasnt used! Oh the horror!

That's not the issue. The issue is when people act like the moment you start going over 5k miles you're engine is going to blow up, and act like "well MY mechanic says he'd never go over 5k miles and he's an expert". If people want to be "conservative" about their oil changes "to be safe" that's fine, but don't talk like going longer is going to kill your engine when there is absolutely zero evidence in support of that assertion.
No, the issue is a choice of OCI, not the hyperbolic nonsense about engines blowing up.

I've read a lot of threads here about choices surrounding OCIs, and not once have I encountered someone who prefers a short OCI saying that extending the OCI to xx,xxx miles will blow up their engine. However, quite a few who oppose that position use the example of an engine blowing up and attribute it to those who prefer a shorter OCI. That's pure hyperbole and not an honest way of trying to make your point.

I also have seen more anger coming from long OCI advocates directed towards short OCI advocates than is appropriate. Why the anger, why the hyperbole, why the red herrings tossed about (What does that tech know, he's not an engineer?) Why can't a tech or a mechanic be an expert? They've seen the insides or far more engines than the average poster here.

That's not the issue. The issue is when people act like the moment you start going over 5k miles you're engine is going to blow up, and act like "well MY mechanic says he'd never go over 5k miles and he's an expert". If people want to be "conservative" about their oil changes "to be safe" that's fine, but don't talk like going longer is going to kill your engine when there is absolutely zero evidence in support of that assertion.

As far as the OP goes, I think 5k is reasonable, if a bit short imo for a modern engine with a modern full synthetic oil, but it's not excessive. I'd personally run to whatever the manufacturer says, or 7500-10k miles.
I don’t think anybody is worried that going over 5k will ruin their engine. For me 5k is an easy figure to remember and quite frankly it’s not an exact mileage - sometimes it‘s 5200 or 4900 or whenever I can get to it somewhere in the neighbor of 5k.
I drive a Kia now and with their reputation of building extremely durable blow proof engines, it gets full syn at 3750 intervals or earlier. This is Kia’s idea of extreme service. And my engine is on the list of engines with possible over hardened rings so I’m covering my bases. So far at 10k it hasn’t used a drop, but you know what they say - the engine is good…..until it isn’t.

As far as the OP goes, I think 5k is reasonable, if a bit short imo for a modern engine with a modern full synthetic oil, but it's not excessive. I'd personally run to whatever the manufacturer says, or 7500-10k miles.
I guess I have never heard that one. What I hear is, oil changes are cheap and I want to take care of my vehicles for the long term.

That Tech has seen it first hand. I'd rather take his word on later Toyota engines, than some know it all keyboard warrior who's never rebuilt one.
He does 5,000-mile changes in his own car, a new Camry, based on his experiences.

Good Morning all. I won't go crazy with introductions but will state that my oil changes across the board have always been with Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec when I began using it). Currently in the garage is a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T running the 5W-40 Castrol Edge High Mileage (146k) and previously our 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L on Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 (205k). We sold the Jeep and brought in our brand new 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD with the 3.5L V6. So far I love everything about this car and it feels like a spaceship compared to the Jeep.

I am about to do the first oil change and was going to stick with Castrol Edge and use the EP gold bottles instead. I'm pretty religious about 5k oil changes and it seems to call for 5W-30 but am happy to hear about alternative oil brands and weights as well as filters. I was planning on grabbing the Toyota OEM filter. I should add we keep our cars (as evidence in the first paragraph) so this will be around for awhile.

Thanks and look forward to the replies!

View attachment 88258
Good day

5w30 is a little heavy,I believe you should check specifications for this 3.5.I believe it calls for a 20 weight oil.Check that first but stick with low mileage intervals for good clean oil 5 to 6009km here in canada, especially if your planning on holding on to this vehicle.
.I was A Honda tech for 8 yes and they came out with longer intervals for oil changes and we saw problems.

RD

Good day

5w30 is a little heavy,I believe you should check specifications for this 3.5.I believe it calls for a 20 weight oil.Check that first but stick with low mileage intervals for good clean oil 5 to 6009km here in canada, especially if your planning on holding on to this vehicle.
A little heavy for what?

I'm not going to argue about oil change intervals but Im going to tell you a little story as to why some people think that way.

In the early 1970's GM did a study on the effects of the then new unleaded fuel. They discovered that even with doubling the OCI the new fuel resulted in less deposits than they had with traditional fuel use.

At the time a 10 mpg truck with 5 qt oil capacity had a 2500 mi OCI. Change to unleaded and now it's 5000 mi oci.

The factor that tracks most closely with OCI is fuel use. Go fron 10 mpg to 20 mpg and now we are at 10,000 mi OCI.

We haven't even considered EFI, a possibly larger oil capacity, a drop from 1000 ppm to 10 ppm fuel sulfur or synthetic lubricant.

That's why some people think dumping a premium synthetic in a properly designed modern engine at 5,000 mi is wasteful.

Only you can decide the correct interval for you.

Good day

.I was A Honda tech for 8 yes and they came out with longer intervals for oil changes and we saw problems.

RD

If you saw problems, Honda sure didn’t. AFAIK, the programming for Honda’s Maintenance Minder hasn’t changed for years and years (excepting now it also keeps track of the one-year max), despite going to DI, turbocharging and the associated fuel dilution.

Good day

RD
What sort of oil change specifically related issues? Failed rod bearings?

I guess I have never heard that one. What I hear is, oil changes are cheap and I want to take care of my vehicles for the
I'm not going to argue about oil change intervals but Im going to tell you a little story as to why some people think that way.

In the early 1970's GM did a study on the effects of the then new unleaded fuel. They discovered that even with doubling the OCI the new fuel resulted in less deposits than they had with traditional fuel use.

At the time a 10 mpg truck with 5 qt oil capacity had a 2500 mi OCI. Change to unleaded and now it's 5000 mi oci.

The factor that tracks most closely with OCI is fuel use. Go fron 10 mpg to 20 mpg and now we are at 10,000 mi OCI.

We haven't even considered EFI, a possibly larger oil capacity, a drop from 1000 ppm to 10 ppm fuel sulfur or synthetic lubricant.

That's why some people think dumping a premium synthetic in a properly designed modern engine at 5,000 mi is wasteful.

Only you can decide the correct interval for you.
Don’t forget, oil technology has improved dramatically in the last 50 years

Right, but I wondered what you meant by it being a little heavy? Will that cause a problem?
Manufactures recommendations should be followed saying this som e times is up for debate.They talk about engine mechanical clearances and I wonder if this is always right .How much difference between 0w20 and 5w30 ?.or are they doing it for other means,fuel economy ,less friction ,it's all questio able.If it's under warranty use the right in case of a warranty claim

If it calls for 0w20 then just run 0w20. Nobody is going to track a Highlander or tow 10,000 pounds up the Ike with a Highlander or anything of that sort.

If you change the oil regularly and drive the Highlander sensibly then it will give you many years and miles of service with 0w20.

Back