New battery for my 2012 Rav4 V6

Previous Autozone Duralast Gold lasted 124,794 miles and about 6 years 2 months. Fleet Farm had an Interstate group 24F 700 CCA for $159.99, and the one I bought before was now $214.99 at AZ. Put it on a slow charger for 12 hours before I installed it. Also put new anti-corrosive rings on too.
Rav4Battery_post.jpg

Six years is excellent service for a battery! I am not sure that Interstate will do as well - they seem to not be as good as they once were (when their reputation was more solid and based on long life) in my experience. At the price you paid even getting 3 years will be a win.

While quality limitations exist, just like dirtying-up oil, it's all in how the OP drives and heat.
~1,700 mi./mo. is what I drove for years. It kept me in the "Long Life Battery Club".
Does the RAV-4 have a reputation for wearing batteries down?

Our 3 vehicles' batteries are "years both sides" of 74 months. I just serviced all three batteries too.

What material are the terminal protectors made of? I read here some (felt?) can be bad.

I don't have a Costco or Sam's Club membership any more- haven't had one in years. My Rav4 was beginning to have slow starts the past 3 mornings and I figured on replacing it at work since I have a bunch of tools and a charger there (plus using the shop garage). The alternator checked out fine. I have a 70 mile round trip commute and 64 of those miles are freeway. When I go overseas for longer than a week I'll put a trickle charger on the cars. My wife's 2018 Equinox is just over 6 years old now with the OEM battery and since that is an enhanced flooded battery replacing that will be a lot more expensive. If I get 4-5 years out of this Interstate I'll be happy.

While quality limitations exist, just like dirtying-up oil, it's all in how the OP drives and heat.
~1,700 mi./mo. is what I drove for years. It kept me in the "Long Life Battery Club".

Our 3 vehicles' batteries are "years both sides" of 74 months. I just serviced all three batteries too.

What material are the terminal protectors made of? I read here some (felt?) can be bad.
As far as I know (and what others have posted on the Rav4World site) the 3rd Gen Ravs generally are pretty easy on the battery. But since I live in Minnesota we get hot summers and cold winters. I've used felt protectors in the past and I haven't had any issues with them yet.

Probably $119. (at least the 35 was a couple of months ago.)
Just checked and indeed the Interstate 24F is $119.99 at Costco. But you get the Costco crappy warranty of three years prorated.
At Fleet Farm you get 42 months free replacement warranty. And who knows, the OP may not live conveniently close to a Costco.

Just checked and indeed the Interstate 24F is $119.99 at Costco. But you get the Costco crappy warranty of three years prorated.
At Fleet Farm you get 42 months free replacement warranty. And who knows, the OP may not live conveniently close to a Costco.

I'm not price shaming anyone.
I merely responded to a statement from JeffKeryk regarding the price of the Costco battery.
And, I don't even know why the Value battery @ Wallyworld is even germane to the discussion.

The NOCO washers are standard felt deals, impregnated with their battery protection goop.haha

Planning on adding them to our cars soon, particularly the Accent (it has had corrosion issues in the past, though hasn't since replacing the battery and the terminals). Currently liking NOCO battery care/charging products.Good quality and value, ime.

The NOCO washers are standard felt deals, impregnated with their battery protection goop.haha

Planning on adding them to our cars soon, particularly the Accent (it has had corrosion issues in the past, though hasn't since replacing the battery and the terminals). Currently liking NOCO battery care/charging products.Good quality and value, ime.
The NOCO washers are $1 a pair on Amazon

Back