New 2023 Chevy Colorado

I assume they have done the research on offering only a crew/short configuration, I’d be skeptical of that.

Looks nice sounds right on target …
There is probably more profit in the higher-trim retail sales than any work truck ext cab/6-ft bed configuration. GM probably crunched the numbers and realized that between the higher profit and the savings from only having to make one body configuration, they are still come out ahead by missing out on any fleet sales.

I guess Ford will remain the fleet truck of choice.

There is probably more profit in the higher-trim retail sales than any work truck ext cab/6-ft bed configuration. GM probably crunched the numbers and realized that between the higher profit and the savings from only having to make one body configuration, they are still come out ahead by missing out on any fleet sales.

I guess Ford will remain the fleet truck of choice.
That's what they buy at my work.
40 Rangers and Transits.

During a recent Q&A session with media, GM was asked why it did not equip the 2023 Chevy Colorado with the GM 10-speed automatic transmission, rather than updating the 8L90 eight-speed, given the latter’s history.

“Our new-generation eight-speed will be launching in this truck and we’re really proud of it,” GM responded. “To be very honest, the eight-speed is all about the torque band on the engine, so its got a super raw torque band. And with that, we don’t need as many gear ratios, so the eight-speed matches perfectly with the engine and in this application. It’s an all-new transmission and it’s going to shift fast, smooth, precise, and we’re really proud of this, and I think our customers will be as well.”

The 1100# payload rating makes that 7700# tow rating pretty much useless.

Not that anyone pays attention to payload, but it is pretty much industry-wide. Higher optioned trucks have crap payload ratings making it pretty much impossible to exploit their 'tow rating' in full.

Bravo on beefy I4 though. That thing should haul the truck around quite nicely. I know my 2.3 gives me everything I want in mine.

The 1100# payload rating makes that 7700# tow rating pretty much useless.

Not that anyone pays attention to payload, but it is pretty much industry-wide. Higher optioned trucks have crap payload ratings making it pretty much impossible to exploit their 'tow rating' in full.

Bravo on beefy I4 though. That thing should haul the truck around quite nicely. I know my 2.3 gives me everything I want in mine.
You can't tow the max with most half tons
because you run up against max payload first. That truck is ideal for a 5,000 pound trailer ready to camp. And there are many to choose from.

Last edited:
You can't tow the max with most half tons
because you run up against max payload first. That truck is ideal for a 5,000 pound trailer. And there are many to choose from.
With a 1100 lb payroll rating? That's cutting it close, even for a 5k trailer.

With a 1100 lb payroll rating? That's cutting it close, even for a 5k trailer.
5,000 pound ready to camp. I should have said. My Forest River 26 DJSE is 4, ,500 pounds DRY. It would be fine for that. Tongue weight isn't anymore than15%- so yea should be ok.

5,000 pound ready to camp. I should have said. My Forest River 26 DJSE is 4, ,500 pounds DRY. It would be fine for that. Tongue weight isn't anymore than15%- so yea should be ok.
For two people probably OK. There is some debate whether payload includes at least 1 passenger, but to play it safe, let's assume it doesn't. Family of 3 plus the 4500 lb trailer is probably cutting it pretty close.

For two people probably OK. There is some debate whether payload includes at least 1 passenger, but to play it safe, let's assume it doesn't. Family of 3 plus the 4500 lb trailer is probably cutting it pretty close.
It includes the driver and a full tank of fuel.

Nice "Car" interior. For Little People in BIG vehicles that don't work them.

Don't like the rows of switches operationally - they look nice though

Can't use it as a truck from the inside.

A functional truck interior example:

truck interior.jpg

Nice "Car" interior. For Little People in BIG vehicles that don't work them.

Don't like the rows of switches operationally - they look nice though

Can't use it as a truck from the inside.

A functional truck interior example:

View attachment 110176
GM used as a selling point on my 2018 Silverado that you could use almost all of the controls with work gloves on. The example you should would be very difficult to use with gloves.

I really like the new styling. The ZR2 colorado (and silverado) are on my want list. You know if they can make plenty, discount them, not put customers over the barrel at the dealers. I’m going to guess the colorado ZR2 will push 50k easily.

Anxiously waiting to see the reveal of the 2023 Canyon... which will very likely replace my 2004 Silverado.

Too bad they didn’t set it up with a similarly sized four cylinder diesel. I’m sure they couldn’t have gotten decent torque lower down, and hood MPGs as well.

I seem to be in the minority here for who doesn’t like it lol. It’s not that great looking to me honestly. And no single cab. If I’m buying a truck it’s certainly not a family hauler I would want a single cab. And no V6? Come on Chevy this is why I only like your old stuff. Other than that I don’t like Chevy at all lol. I believe the first and second generation Colorado/Canyon were the best. Also if the OEM tire was a Goodyear Wrangler then those would be removed for free by the shop before I took it off the lot. If they would not do it then no sale simple as that. It’s definitely not as bad looking as the modern Ford Ranger though I’ll say that. The blue is nice but just not my style for trucks.

Back