New '16 Dodge R/T 6.4L Scat Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first mopar, performance oriented or otherwise. Picked it up yesterday.

I got it with the ZF 8-speed automatic.

The pictures are at the dealer where it was still quite dirty. I asked to do the washing myself. It was on trains for nearly 20 days.

In the one picture, I am installing my catch can. With only 13 miles on it, there was oil residue on both sides of the factory PCV line. Even residue on the intake elbow that had leaked from the PCV line.

I've dipped into the power already and I would just describe it as effortless power. Feels great, the trans seems like a great choice. I really have a hard time seeing the need for Hellcat kind of power on the street.

It's a big car, obviously, but it doesn't feel ponderous. I feel there is decent visibility except for the horrid blind spot to the right rear. The passenger headrest blocks the quarter window so I see nothing except straight to the right.

This will be a fun use car only, couple thousand miles a year. Per my other thread in the oil section, I will be running the recommended Pennzoil 0w40 SRT oil and Mopar filter. Also they specify no longer than 6 months... so that will be kind of a waste with my mileage but I'll follow what they say at least for a year or two.

"day 1" mods to be installed soon are a lighter wheel/tire set with 275-40-20 Continental DW summer tires (vs. 245-45-20 stock, same except very tall 28.7" height) (never seen stock (non-truck) cars with this tall a tire.. should aid footprint), Front strut/cowl brace, black alluminum gas door, Lloyds Ultimat mats. Catch can already on from dealer. Performance mods will wait some time.

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Chall_pose.jpg.html[/img]

[img:center]http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Chall_AtDealer.jpg.html[/img]

Last edited:
Congrats from another 6.4-powered Challenger owner! Mines a 6-speed stick, but I hear great things about the ZF 8HP and its well known to be quicker than the 6-speed. Brutally strong transmission, also.

Good move on the catch can- the Hemi already has an oil separator in the PCV valve housing, but some oil mist sill gets by. My catch can usually has about 2-3 tablespoons full by the time I hit a 6000 mile oil change (at least that's when the oil life monitor usually goes off). I used Mobil 1 0w40 from the 2nd oil change on. I went out of my way to buy PU 0w40 that first time, but its just stupid-hard to find. M1 is easy to get, and even though it doesn't carry MS12633, its a proven oil. Longer track record than PU 0w40, for sure.

Mine's a daily driver, so its a 2012 and has almost 50k miles on it. All I've done is change oil and tires... a lot more tires than I'd like to have changed, but worth it! :) I know the 275-40 is a popular tire upsize, but for my next set I'm actually un-staggering it and going with 245-50 all around instead of 245-45 front and 245-50 rear. Probably Nitto Motivos just because they get such rave reviews from Challenger owners, although I may go with Pilot Sport A/S-3s again. Whatever the case, the one tire I'll never go back to was the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar. Wow- what junk.

Glad to hear you are getting rid of the OEM tires, they are awful and do nothing well. I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, which I had on my M5 and are absolutely incredible.

Thanks all. One of the most frequent compliments so far has been the color. Sound, color/looks are frequent positive comments and my sentiments too! Bonus- it can really get out if its own way and get you from A to B !

I'll update with new pics after the aftermarket wheels, strut brace and gas door are on. The engine shot will show the catch can setup.

Last edited:
You should've bought a Honda. From transmission, AC, oil burning, block cracks or VCM troubles, they need nothing but oil changes
lol.gif
Didn't you know your FCA car will randomly fall apart?
crackmeup2.gif

Kidding aside, congrats on the ride. Looks great!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deanm11
"day 1" mods to be installed soon are a lighter wheel/tire set with 275-40-20 Continental DW summer tires (vs. 245-45-20 stock, same except very tall 28.7" height) (never seen stock (non-truck) cars with this tall a tire.. should aid footprint), Front strut/cowl brace, black alluminum gas door, Lloyds Ultimat mats. Catch can already on from dealer. Performance mods will wait some time.

Since you mentioned mods, what about pinching a Brembo brake kit off one of the SRT8 models? Should be a worthwhile mod.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Since you mentioned mods, what about pinching a Brembo brake kit off one of the SRT8 models? Should be a worthwhile mod.

Good suggestion
thumbsup2.gif
Probably one of my favourite things about the SRT-8 is the set of Brembo's.

The Scat Packs do have 4-piston Brembos. I wonder how much different they really are in effective braking.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Good suggestion
thumbsup2.gif

The Scat Packs do have 4-piston Brembos. I wonder how much different they really are in effective braking.

Good suggestion
thumbsup2.gif

Not sure how different they would be if they are already a Brembo product
21.gif
I just absolutely love the pedal feel and modulation, did you test drive an SRT-8? You could and see if the brakes feel like they might be a worthwhile upgrade? Just a thought.

Good suggestion
thumbsup2.gif

The Scat Packs don't come with fixed calipers from the factory?
frown.gif

In any case, CONGRATS on a kick-*** ride!
thumbsup2.gif
20.gif
cool.gif

And, besides "not needing" the Hellcat's power on the street, one will NOT be able to keep tires on that crazy monster ANYWHERE (street or otherwise).
lol.gif

Depending on how you drive it, your Scat Pack's only problem should be keeping donuts on the wheels.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Good suggestion
thumbsup2.gif

The Scat Packs don't come with fixed calipers from the factory?
frown.gif

In any case, CONGRATS on a kick-*** ride!
thumbsup2.gif
20.gif
cool.gif

And, besides "not needing" the Hellcat's power on the street, one will NOT be able to keep tires on that crazy monster ANYWHERE (street or otherwise).
lol.gif

Depending on how you drive it, your Scat Pack's only problem should be keeping donuts on the wheels.
wink.gif

The SRT adds a lot of infotainment stuff as well as 15.4" rotors up front and 6-piston calipers. Covered here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015...st-drive-review

The Scat Pack is a phenomenal deal and I'm sure the OP will love it, I think the Challenger is one of the best looking cars on the road
thumbsup2.gif

Great buy! I really like the newer tail on the Challengers. Great color choice too. I have an in at a Dodge dealer and have considered buying something new. When I built a Hellcat out of curiosity I chose that color with the Sepia interior.

Not sure how different they would be if they are already a Brembo product
21.gif
I just absolutely love the pedal feel and modulation, did you test drive an SRT-8? You could and see if the brakes feel like they might be a worthwhile upgrade? Just a thought.

Well, the SRT-8 version goes to 6. :p

The ScatPack 4-piston Brembo front brakes are basically the 2014 and older SRT-8 brakes just like my car has. I haven't found them the least bit inadequate. The difference is probably measurable at the limits of track performance, but nowhere else.

Congrats on the car. They are indeed sweet.

Re: The Brembos, there is no way the 4 piston brakes will ever let you down. They are fixed calipers and they stop the car incredibly effectively.

At the track my sig car routinely outbrakes many so-called sports cars, especially from very high speed. At Homestead we brake off the front straight into the infield raceway at nearly 150 mph, never had any issues with them. I have had many drivers ask me what I did to the brakes on that big sedan!

Tip: eventually when you need pads go with Stoptech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back