New 10 Shot Ruger GP-100 .22 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
RUGER GP-100 RANGE REPORT

This morning I loaded up my new Ruger GP-100, along with my new speedloader set up for it, and headed out to the range early. I put over 400 rounds of Winchester Super-X High Velocity through it total. This ammo was 1980's vintage that I had stockpiled through the years. All of it performed flawlessly, with not a single misfire. Primer strikes were nice and deep. None were shallow.

It took me a while to get the sights dialed in. Mostly because I wasn't used to them. But after a couple of cylinder full's, the gun was printing beautifully with a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards. Wind was dead calm. The one thing about this revolver, is you must keep the area under the ejector star clean. The slightest bit of powder, dirt, or fouling will make the cylinder difficult to shut. I had a little can of that compressed "computer air" with me, which worked great for blasting clean the area under the ejector star.

The Speed Beez speedloader set up worked flawlessly. It makes loading 10 rounds effortless, and can be done in seconds. I actually took a break after 60 rounds or so because the gun was getting warm from the constant shooting. The trigger on this gun is beautiful in single action. Let off was nice and crisp at around 4 pounds. The double action pull was VERY HEAVY. It did lighten up a bit after around 250 rounds. I'm sure the more I shoot this gun, the better it will get. But for the most part, if you want to achieve any good accuracy with this revolver, it will be in single action.

My only complaint was I wish the hammer spur was arched a little more. My thumb hit the back end of it instead of feeling the entire checkered spur itself. But it really isn't too bad. After over 400 rounds there was no line in the cylinder from the bolt dragging. The gun is timed beautifully. The cylinder locked up bank vault tight on every chamber.

After I shot several targets at 25 yards, I went over to the rifle range and had at some steel gongs at 100 yards. I had no trouble hitting 12" gongs at that distance. I held just a bit above the top of the gong, and was getting boringly consistent hits. The gun is very accurate overall. But it isn't what I would call "target grade". I felt the fiber optic front sight is a bit large. It almost completely covered a 6" bull at 25 yards. I would prefer a red ramp blade front with the white outline rear. Much like the old Smith & Wesson Model 29's had. At least that's what I'm used to. I'm sure I'll get used to these sights after a few hundred more rounds.

All in all I'm very happy with this gun. Ruger built this thing to last. I highly doubt anyone could possibly wear one of these GP-100 .22's out in a lifetime of shooting. I think it will take at least 1,000 rounds or more to get this gun properly broken in. It's getting smoother the more I shoot it. As you can imagine, the gun was filthy after I got it home. I went to work with some Hoppe's #9 and a toothbrush, and it cleaned up quickly and easily. I gave it a good "wash" in clean Kerosene, followed by a good blow drying with compressed air, and it was spotless. Then a good oiling, and she's ready to go again. I used "Lead Away Wipes" to remove all the dirt and burn marks from the front of the cylinder and barrel face. It cleaned it right up. I'm looking forward to shooting this gun again. It's really a blast to shoot!

Bilt- Nice report! With the fully adjustable rear sight, you should be able to sight the gun into whatever type of hold you want.

Ruger's fit and finish has really come a long way, especially in their revolvers. I have the smaller SP101 in 22lr and I love it. I added Hogue rubber grips, gave it a trigger job and lightly polished the muzzle crown. The double action is now about 9 pounds and very smooth. The single action stayed the same but is slightly more crisp. Firing pin strikes are still very solid and most ammo is doing about 3" at 25 yards if I do my part.

I do wish someone made a better looking square but grip for this gun as I really don't like round butt revolver grips. If the 22lr version of the GP-100 was around when I bought my SP101, I would have really had a hard decision to make. Nice Gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back